What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players not playing on Easter Sunday

ali

Bench
Apparently Cronulla has 4 lower graders not playing next Sunday due to their religious beliefs. Do any other clubs have this problem?

I guess it's our fault for signing up so many highly religious islanders.

NPK

Bench
If they're really that religious, should they ever play on the Sabbath?

innsaneink

Referee
Thats pretty selfish imo.

You either make a commitment or you dont, cant have it both ways. One or the other if both cant be accomadeted together.
Theyre letting their team mates down imo.

griff

Bench
Back in the days when RU was amatuer I remember there were quite a few international players who wouldn't play at all on Sundays.

Inferno

Coach
innsaneink said:

You either make a commitment or you dont, cant have it both ways. One or the other if both cant be accomadeted together.

They will have the last laugh when the rest of their teammates are in hell...

or maybe not.

I think if you are a professional and you know from the start you may have to be playing on religious holidays you should either take the job and work them, or find a different job.

Not too many jobs I know where they would let you off for a religious holiday.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Inferno said:
They will have the last laugh when the rest of their teammates are in hell...

or maybe not.

I think if you are a professional and you know from the start you may have to be playing on religious holidays you should either take the job and work them, or find a different job.

I normally manage to get off work for Easter and Christmas,

Balmain_Boy

Given it (as well as days like Good Friday and Christmas day) is a public holiday, most people DO get the day off. Not sure where you're coming from on this one.

aqua_duck

Coach
griff said:
Back in the days when RU was amatuer I remember there were quite a few international players who wouldn't play at all on Sundays.
Michael Jones comes to mind.

Razor

Coach

So you'd work Christmas day? And not even ask for the day off if they asked you to work?

ali

Bench
What about this guy? How bad must Wigan be going!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...60277,,00.html

I pray rugby for a living
By JULIE STOTT

RUGBY league giants Wigan have signed a player who can’t be picked for any of their home fixtures and many of their away games — because of his religion.

New Zealander Luisi Sione refuses to play after the sun goes down on Fridays until sunset on Saturdays.

The Seventh Day Adventist, 28, believes that time should be used to PRAY.

But Wigan play their home games on Friday nights, as do most Super League teams. Just a few play on Sundays.

However, the struggling Warriors have such an injury crisis they decided to sign the full-back from League Two Workington Town.

During his eight-week trial he is only available to play TWO of Wigan’s nine games.

Town boss Gerard Stokes only let him go because his working holiday visa runs out in June. He said: “He has such great talent it balances out him missing the odd game.”

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
NPK said:
If they're really that religious, should they ever play on the Sabbath?

You mean Saturday or the 7th day?

Sunday is not the biblical sabbath, it was changed many moons ago by the Roman Catholics. Saturday is the true day of rest, sunday comes from pagan origins as does Easter and Christmas. Passover was when Jesus Christ was crucified, not the heathen festival.

Y2Eel

First Grade
ali said:
What about this guy? How bad must Wigan be going!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...60277,,00.html

I pray rugby for a living
By JULIE STOTT

RUGBY league giants Wigan have signed a player who can’t be picked for any of their home fixtures and many of their away games — because of his religion.

New Zealander Luisi Sione refuses to play after the sun goes down on Fridays until sunset on Saturdays.

The Seventh Day Adventist, 28, believes that time should be used to PRAY.

But Wigan play their home games on Friday nights, as do most Super League teams. Just a few play on Sundays.

However, the struggling Warriors have such an injury crisis they decided to sign the full-back from League Two Workington Town.

During his eight-week trial he is only available to play TWO of Wigan’s nine games.

Town boss Gerard Stokes only let him go because his working holiday visa runs out in June. He said: “He has such great talent it balances out him missing the odd game.”

he's scared of the dark aswell??:cry:

Michaelson

Juniors
innsaneink said:

Presumably the club knew the deal before signing them. So long as they were up front that they wouldn't play on Easter Sunday I can't see it as a real problem. They're not really having it both ways, they're only gonna miss one game a year.

Sometimes you've just got to accomodate these things.

As silly as I think most religion is, I have some sort of respect for the level of commitment required to pass up a premier league game because of your beliefs.

J.D

Juniors
innsaneink said:

I understand what your saying in that they obviously haven't gone the whole hog, but seeing as Easter is the most important time of the christian calandar, if there's any a day not to play due to beliefs it's this one. I don't think it's too much to ask.

What about that poor hammer throw guy Chris Harmse who couldn't compete at the olympics because of his beliefs! (not being able to compete on sundays) That opportunity only exists every FOUR YEARS, imagine waiting that long only to find out you can't compete simply because of the day it's been scheduled. Heartbreaking!