What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

grouch

First Grade
I take it you’re of the opinion there’s no incongruence between claiming you’re offended by the anthem & wearing a jersey for a team called NSW?

Please, do elaborate.
mister-gotcha-4-9faefa.png

NSW is a state full of people of various cultural backgrounds including his own. As a NSW rep, he represents all these people. He is also playing rugby league, a code which has shown itself to be progressive over its time.

So yes, there is none.

You are saying the old rhetoric that NSW the name and state was created by a british colony, as was Australia so somehow he is being hypocritical. But that is just because people can't see what is obvious.

You didn’t disappoint.

I’m sure the tens of thousands of dollars for wearing that jersey vs nothing for singing the anthem is definitely not a factor :joy:

SBD82

Coach
They’re not protesting though, they’re after attention & coin.
Questioning the integrity of a man making a public statement about his beliefs, despite how unpopular they may be.

Brought to you by the guy who uses an alt on an already anonymous forum, to present his ignorant views without risking ongoing backlash.

Iafeta

Referee
Non issue. I support them doing it like I support the NFL blokes kneeling, Mohammad Ali saying what no Viet Kong called him in refusing conscription, and the American dudes who held their hands aloft. They have a right as far as I’m concerned to do as they please in a respectful manner.

sharkman73

Juniors
Serious question. Why do we need to have the anthems for any event that is an all Australian fixture? Why not just for international fixtures?

Agree mate, it's stupid.

I remember it was played at every Sharks' home game back in the 80s, so stupid.

no name

Coach
I suspect that this has been a stance that these players have had a long time, if not their whole life.
It was picked up by the media for the All Stars game.
Remembering that, a journo asked Walker whether he would sing the anthem or not and here we are.

I’m not sure he has made a big song and dance about it, he isn’t saying others shouldn’t sing it and I don’t know how the f**k anyone would think it’s about money.

moffla

Bench
I suspect that this has been a stance that these players have had a long time, if not their whole life.
It was picked up by the media for the All Stars game.
Remembering that, a journo asked Walker whether he would sing the anthem or not and here we are.

I’m not sure he has made a big song and dance about it, he isn’t saying others shouldn’t sing it and I don’t know how the f**k anyone would think it’s about money.
Because racist bogans are trying to justify their irrational hatred of this movement

typicalfan

Coach
Because racist bogans are trying to justify their irrational hatred of this movement
They hate being told things that they grew up with and are comfortable with might not be inclusive and literally get offended by someone thinking that way.

Questioning the integrity of a man making a public statement about his beliefs, despite how unpopular they may be.

Brought to you by the guy who uses an alt on an already anonymous forum, to present his ignorant views without risking ongoing backlash.

You couldn’t even squeeze one fact into your post?

“However unpopular they may be...”

Da fuq!? LOL! Like there aren’t a legion of pussies like you who will defend their faux-moral stance with your lives :joy:

Imagine how great Walker or Addo-Carr’s life woulld be right now if the British never arrived. They’ve been robbed, for sure :joy:

I disagree with people saying they shouldn’t have the right to refuse singing it, I just question the motives of these two wearing a jersey for a team called New South Wales but calling foul on the anthem.

It’s not a movement, it’s not activism, it’s a couple of hypocrites looking for publicity & coin. The irony of people here who care about the Aboriginal people supporting them is richer than the paycheque these blokes pick up this Wednesday. Well-played, fellas.

no name

Coach
Imagine how great Walker or Addo-Carr’s life woulld be right now if the British never arrived. They’ve been robbed, for sure :joy:

I disagree with people saying they shouldn’t have the right to refuse singing it, I just question the motives of these two wearing a jersey for a team called New South Wales but calling foul on the anthem.

It’s not a movement, it’s not activism, it’s a couple of hypocrites looking for publicity & coin. The irony of people here who care about the Aboriginal people supporting them is richer than the paycheque these blokes pick up this Wednesday. Well-played, fellas.
Hypotheticals aren’t the best argument.

Also where does the coin come into it? How is this about money?

They’re going the Kapernick route, who raked in some coin with this stuff.

Or do you think not singing the anthem is going to change something in the world? LOL.