What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players sign on value

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Panthers sacked Griffin before the finals and they have gone worse. If not for that Mary may have been booted but I bet they don;t want to risk looking stupid like the Panthers are. Hopefully 2 more games of Mary? If he makes it to 3 games then we are screwed and another year of everyone's favourite coach. Every red v fan that is.

True_Believer

Juniors
I’d be curious to look at our average minutes player per player.

With limited injuries at the start of the season combined with our coaching master stroke of using 16 players for 70 minutes each game, I reckon our team would be leading the comp..

So it’s not just origin, it will be the full season having the impact.

@The Damo - this is your time to shine!!!!

blacksafake

First Grade
I haven't seen anything about Ciraldo and Gould not talking. And don't they say that a change in coach normally improves team performance? I don't think they have an excuse - at least nothing different to us.

We have a coach who can't get a team prepared to play and to provide a good game plan. We also have a couple of key injuries and lost more on the weekend. If anything, the only difference is that they rested players and we didn't - I'd say we are in a very similar boat.
I meant Ciraldo & Griffin not talking.
Gould sticking his nose into everything which most likely has played on the players minds.
Since origin Maloney has been injured & missed games.
I'm reliably told that Kikau & Fisher-Harris are being needled to get on the field.Not to mention their earlier long term injuries (unlike us) which have impacted their campaign.We have had basically the same side on the park for the whole year (including through origin which has taken it's toll on some) until Vaughan & Widdop got injured & the latest from Sunday.I'm not making excuses for them, Just imo our situation is most likely caused by a coach who is not up to the task of guiding a team through periods like this.This we appear to agree on.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Panthers sacked Griffin before the finals and they have gone worse. If not for that Mary may have been booted but I bet they don;t want to risk looking stupid like the Panthers are. Hopefully 2 more games of Mary? If he makes it to 3 games then we are screwed and another year of everyone's favourite coach. Every red v fan that is.
Panthers just leapfrogged us on the ladder.

Or more to the point we slid behind them.

We need a change.

gitano

Juniors
Wallace retired.

Peachy was out for a while too yeah?

Not to mention RCG’s broken jaw.
Their first choice fullback Dylan Edwards out for the season

Mansour out for most of the season

Whare out for an extended period too

The Damo

Juniors
@The Damo - this is your time to shine!!!!
Hahaha - it’s like the bat signal...
Interestingly, due to the fact we’ve had no golden point games, we’ve only got one player in the top 20 for total minutes - forum favourite Tim Lafai. He’s played every minute of every game.
Next is Dufty, McInnes, and Aitken with Hunt and Sims further behind giving us 5 ranked 20-40 total minutes.
We’ve got 10 players in the top 100 for minutes which does say we’ve been both lucky with injuries/not rested players.
Some notes - McInnes tops the minutes for hookers in NRL, but if you add Cooks origin minutes he’s played an extra game and a half.
Cams only made 30 more nrl tackles too which surprised me. As does the fact he’s 3rd in average run metres per game behind only Cook and Luke.
Our starting props are between 10-20th on total and average minutes.
Jacks pretty high for total minutes, not as high for the average per game. If you added in origin he’d be quite high, but jurbo has 500 more Nrl minutes! And pretty similar origin.
Papalli has played around 150 more nrl minutes plus origin too - so Jacks done a lot of work but not the most either.
To give a good answer as to where we’d rank in terms of work put in the players overall would take more time than my tired brains got right now. I’d guess we’re in the top third at least, but quite possibly not in the top few either.

Carlton

Juniors
Hahaha - it’s like the bat signal...
Interestingly, due to the fact we’ve had no golden point games, we’ve only got one player in the top 20 for total minutes - forum favourite Tim Lafai. He’s played every minute of every game.
Next is Dufty, McInnes, and Aitken with Hunt and Sims further behind giving us 5 ranked 20-40 total minutes.
We’ve got 10 players in the top 100 for minutes which does say we’ve been both lucky with injuries/not rested players.
Some notes - McInnes tops the minutes for hookers in NRL, but if you add Cooks origin minutes he’s played an extra game and a half.
Cams only made 30 more nrl tackles too which surprised me. As does the fact he’s 3rd in average run metres per game behind only Cook and Luke.
Our starting props are between 10-20th on total and average minutes.
Jacks pretty high for total minutes, not as high for the average per game. If you added in origin he’d be quite high, but jurbo has 500 more Nrl minutes! And pretty similar origin.
Papalli has played around 150 more nrl minutes plus origin too - so Jacks done a lot of work but not the most either.
To give a good answer as to where we’d rank in terms of work put in the players overall would take more time than my tired brains got right now. I’d guess we’re in the top third at least, but quite possibly not in the top few either.

I still dont get what is different about our "power game" and what every other NRL team plays (as far as forwards are concerned). The problem isn't the "power game" its once our forwards have laid a platform we don't know what to do with it.

Once the top teams start hitting their straps later in the year and their defence gets more committed we don't have any answers and this is when the forwards fall off the pace. I think the problem is disillusionment when the realisation hits we don't have the game for the end of year. They see the other teams moving up a gear and panic because they have nothing to respond with.

The Damo

Juniors
I still dont get what is different about our "power game" and what every other NRL team plays (as far as forwards are concerned). The problem isn't the "power game" its once our forwards have laid a platform we don't know what to do with it.

Once the top teams start hitting their straps later in the year and their defence gets more committed we don't have any answers and this is when the forwards fall off the pace. I think the problem is disillusionment when the realisation hits we don't have the game for the end of year. They see the other teams moving up a gear and panic because they have nothing to respond with.
Yeah I agree, it’s got a lot more to do with adaptability and attitude. And the way the teams Defense has fallen off is huge. To go from a top 4 defensive unit to a bottom 2/3 is an astonishing fall, and seems to me that a combination of inefficient training drills and declining attitude/intensity is a more likely culprit.