What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players we should target

schnitzel

Juniors
OK hear me out....

We need an experienced halfback. Why not Finch? Off contract at Storm and looking possibly at rugby. Premiership winner and just what we need to lead the team around for a few years until a junior jumps out of the ground. Won't cost a fortune and would revel in a role where he just has to steer the team without the burden of being the go-to playmaker. Bring him back to where his career started... no brainer.

I think we are gonna lose Logan and Thompson so why not combine their salaries and bring back another junior in Ben Cross. Has had his injury problems but when fit is a beast.

A hooker would also be good but I'm hoping Waddell will come back and be our first choice rake for years to come.

Hard to recruit players to Canberra so it makes sense to go after players who have been part of the club in the past, even if they are in the twilight of their careers.

Timbo

Staff member
I would say yes to Finch... I think it's Finch that'd say no to us.

Macko8

Juniors
whens mick monaghans contract up??
cross and finch would be good signings.

2 props at least,maybe one from ESL,as logan has been devastating ever since coming back to australia.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
God....its like this club is always happy with sub par...Mick Monas?? the guy is past it...he isnt a half back and he isnt going to make a break in the NRL.

Mick Monas played okay like 5 years ago at Half back for several games now you want him here to lead us around the field??

Cryptic

Juniors
Finch, as long as he is over his attitude problems which he appears to be, wouldn't be terrible... Not like anyone else will even be remotely interested.

Dazraider

Juniors
Burrow from england if he is off contract over there, awesome player.
Lets try someone from south africa as well, they produce decent halves in rugby so could be a risky but smart buy.

matt

Juniors
I would be more inclined to go with a coach and let him bring whomever he thinks will get the job done.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I like the international idea, with Tim Sheens we did that and picked up Noa for example. Also the roosters are doing it and JP Duplesius (spelling is way off) who seems to be killing it for em.

matt

Juniors
Not their Job it's the CEO's mate...not for me to make these decisions.

They are the one's that leave the fans asking questions.

Last edited:

Macko8

Juniors
God....its like this club is always happy with sub par...Mick Monas?? the guy is past it...he isnt a half back and he isnt going to make a break in the NRL.

Mick Monas played okay like 5 years ago at Half back for several games now you want him here to lead us around the field??

who do you suggest then??
mcCrone and herbert are far off premiership winning halfbacks at the moment.
mick could help with the development of one of the two.he could play like a jason smith type role.

typicalfan

Coach
Why don't you go for a young talent like a Beau Henry or Ben Hunt even. A Scott Porter who could be on the outer at the Sharks? Should go with the young theme and not go for young has beens in key positions.

Cryptic

Juniors
And we develop heaps of young halves (so why would be buy some? We are already doing that they just never get to first grade level)... Or they get stolen by other clubs...

How about Scott Dureau? Coming off-contract this year, and is a a natural half-back, unlike our last four (Carney, Herbert, McCrone and Mogg).

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
who do you suggest then??
mcCrone and herbert are far off premiership winning halfbacks at the moment.
mick could help with the development of one of the two.he could play like a jason smith type role.

Mick monas isn't a Jason smith type player.. He might be older then our current but that doesn't mean he can be a Jason smith. One played and represented qld the other has played city country... I think once.

I don't know who we target although I believe we can't keep rotating our halves every few games. We need to decide who it is and stick it out .. If it's neither spend big on an established half not a hooker or centre attempting to play 7. Brett firman, Brent sherwin, Mathew head.. Basically these are guys that are floating around and won't kill the salary either.

bileduct

Coach
Wayne Bennett use to be here... He wanted to go to the Broncos once they started up...
Thanks Scoop.

You may remember, however, that Wayne went sniffing around a few clubs early 2008 before taking up the role with the Dragons.

People here were mortified when they found out, and believed that the club should have dealt with the issue by throwing our then contracted coach under the bus.

It is only hindsight that gives us the luxury of saying that Neil Henry would have deserved it.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
A halfback is a must, its clear we don't see Herbert as a future halfback and McCrone isn't fairing much better.