What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please don't let league get as boring as Union!

Cheezel

Juniors
Well I have watched some of the rugby recently and I have to say it has improved since 2007 but still the amount of time the ball is out of play is pretty high. One thing I did notice is the scrums are a mess. The Test matches against France were dead boring. The best Union games to watch are the Tests against the All Blacks.

Anyway in league at this moment in time, even with all the wrestle in the tackles league is still miles ahead of Union. But one thing that has slowed the game a little is the video ref. I think they should only use the video ref's for tries and nothing else. I hope next year the decrease the use of the video ref for stripping etc. The last thing I would hate to see is League becoming boring like Union.

What else could league do to reduce outages?

Parra

Referee
Rugby is kicking arse at the moment.

Stick to comparing league to AFL like the CEO seems to do in every interview.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yeah. Keep 13 players, 6 tackle rule, 2 point penalties. Keep fitness training. Keep getting rid of the deadwood, rather than spending a fortune to collect them.

Cheezel

Juniors
Yeah. Keep 13 players, 6 tackle rule, 2 point penalties. Keep fitness training. Keep getting rid of the deadwood, rather than spending a fortune to collect them.

I don't know why Yawnion persists with 3 points for penalty goals. It just turns the game in to a kick fest. You just need to look at the 2007 RWC final to see how boring the game is when kicks take control of the game.

Parra

Referee
Well here's a tip the NRL should learn from rugby - get rid of the scrum penalties and repacking scrums. League had this right for years, now scrum nitpicking gets reintroduced - bad move.

Something also needs to be done to reintroduce ball players. The fact that we have back rowers and locks filling the 5/8 roll in first grade and rep footy is an indictment on the game. Getting rid of interchanges will help this a lot.

Get rid of the anti-stripping rule.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I'll kill anyone who says tries off kicks should be worth less points, or similar.

Cheezel

Juniors
Well here's a tip the NRL should learn from rugby - get rid of the scrum penalties and repacking scrums. League had this right for years, now scrum nitpicking gets reintroduced - bad move.

Something also needs to be done to reintroduce ball players. The fact that we have back rowers and locks filling the 5/8 roll in first grade and rep footy is an indictment on the game. Getting rid of interchanges will help this a lot.

Get rid of the anti-stripping rule.

Get rid of scrum penalties? Last time I looked the Ref blows the whistle about 3 time per scrum in Rugby. If Anything Rugby should be looking at League.

I agree with reducing the interchanges and modifying the stripping rule.

So to my earlier question, how is Rugby kicking ass? Super 14's are over so you must be refering to the Tri-Nations? I hope your not comparing it to the 2007 RWC :lol:

Cheezel

Juniors
I'll kill anyone who says tries off kicks should be worth less points, or similar.

Well we are al safe as nobody has said that yet :D

I think tries of kicks is a great part of the game. Much better then kicking for goal at every oportunity like you would see in Union.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Well we are al safe as nobody has said that yet :D

I think tries of kicks is a great part of the game. Much better then kicking for goal at every oportunity like you would see in Union.

Some muppet will turn up and suggest it. To do it though, would mean tries like Melbourne's second last night, McKinnon's tonight and the Dog's second tonight, which were fantastic pieces of play would be worth less points than someone dummying over from dummy half. Not to mention that there's some great athleticism involved in going up for a kick, coming down with it and grounding it.

Wait, what is this thread about?

Parra

Referee
Lots of good footy in the Super 14's this season & the international season has been an eye opener. Rugby has been getting fairly jaded and worthy of a fair bit of derision over the past few seasons, but 2008 has been a great year. The new laws have probably had a lot to do with that, along with a new national coach - but the big difference is the attitude of the players and a decision to get back to some running rugby.

My point about the scrums was that referrees are starting to become more union-like in policing scum laws - and this is a bad thing. A rugby scrum will never become the debacle that the league scrum has become - but the strength of the uncontested league scrum was that there were no penalties and the players could get on with the game. Why this position has changed in 2008 is a mystery & the game gains nothing from re-fed scrums and petty infringements.

Cheezel

Juniors
Lots of good footy in the Super 14's this season & the international season has been an eye opener. Rugby has been getting fairly jaded and worthy of a fair bit of derision over the past few seasons, but 2008 has been a great year. The new laws have probably had a lot to do with that, along with a new national coach - but the big difference is the attitude of the players and a decision to get back to some running rugby..

The new laws have improved rugby but still the ball is out of play for much longer then in league.

My point about the scrums was that referrees are starting to become more union-like in policing scum laws - and this is a bad thing. A rugby scrum will never become the debacle that the league scrum has become - but the strength of the uncontested league scrum was that there were no penalties and the players could get on with the game. Why this position has changed in 2008 is a mystery & the game gains nothing from re-fed scrums and petty infringements.

Debacle and Rugby Scrum go hand in hand. How many times has the ref reset the scrum 3 or 4 times and then blows a penalty anyway. Rugby might as well remove the scrum from the game.....but then again those forwards need all the rest they can get.:shock:

Yngwie_70

Juniors
The new laws have improved rugby but still the ball is out of play for much longer then in league.

Debacle and Rugby Scrum go hand in hand. How many times has the ref reset the scrum 3 or 4 times and then blows a penalty anyway. Rugby might as well remove the scrum from the game.....but then again those forwards need all the rest they can get.:shock:

Unlike league, a rugby scrum is hard work. Just because the scrum is a rest for league players, doesnt mean it is for rugby players.

Loudstrat

Coach
No. The constant Ref whistles during Yawnion scrums allows the poor old fat sods to wheeze after the effort of bending over.

Still, they don't have to bend as far as the far more agile athletes in the far more popular UK Pub Darts comp, who have to pick darts up off the ground!

Latest posts