What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please explain to me how next year effects Newtown?

ozzie

Bench
I'm a little lost about what happens to Newtown next year. If you pull out of Premier League chich won't exist what happens to all the older players - say 24 and 25 going through the ranks.

Will the consortium still exist and who is the dull siff that decided to get rid of permier league

Jeffles

Bench
Premier League will exist. It's merely changing its name.

Newtown will be there. The deal with the Roosters goes for 5 years.

Well I reckon it will screw us personally. Not having read the annual report but going on several statements made by directors in the past, the club is heavily reliant on gate takings and if all thing remain equal I believe we will not only lose the away supporters from the NRL teams but struggle to keep the interest from local fans as playing a NRL team is far more attractive. So hopefully we get some serious marketing happening to protect our position. I am actually studying marketing next semester so perhaps I will be the Jets saviour!

Jeffles

Bench
Die-Hard p/t Jet Fan said:
Well I reckon it will screw us personally. Not having read the annual report but going on several statements made by directors in the past, the club is heavily reliant on gate takings and if all thing remain equal I believe we will not only lose the away supporters from the NRL teams but struggle to keep the interest from local fans as playing a NRL team is far more attractive. So hopefully we get some serious marketing happening to protect our position.

You're not wrong there. With nore NRL clubs outsourcing PL teams it will remain a challenge. More people want to see Newtown v Parramatta than watch Newtown v Auburn Alligators. It certainly will be a challenge. That's why Jets initiatives are important. Things like season tickets, fundraising dinners, sponsorship and investment need to be supported. Media exposure is crucial to this as well as it would improve the value of our brand. NSWRL is receiving submissions re; next year and we have put media exposure right up there.

Jeffles said:
You're not wrong there. With nore NRL clubs outsourcing PL teams it will remain a challenge. More people want to see Newtown v Parramatta than watch Newtown v Auburn Alligators. It certainly will be a challenge. That's why Jets initiatives are important. Things like season tickets, fundraising dinners, sponsorship and investment need to be supported. Media exposure is crucial to this as well as it would improve the value of our brand. NSWRL is receiving submissions re; next year and we have put media exposure right up there.

Does anyone have any idea of what teams there will be in the Prem Lge next year?

We've got:

Newtown
Wests
BRET
Norths

What NRL will be outsourcing their PL teams? Parra, Canturbury? What about Penrith, will they link up with St Marys again?

Jeffles

Bench
If last year is anything to go by, the NSWRL will be accepting entries right down to December so we won't know until then. All non-Foundation Clubs are playing coy. Some of them will outsource at their own risk. The number of good standard clubs to outsource to is quite limited. Some clubs will end up with bad deals for the sake of it when they'd be better off keeping to themselves.

Ball_Licker

Juniors
newtownbluebags said:
There'd only be three men & a dog who'd support rugby league round Auburn these days! :lol:
sounds like a certain section of Newtown's board, three men and a dog, we all know how important the dog is........ woof woof

Ball_Licker

Juniors
ozzie said:
I'm a little lost about what happens to Newtown next year. If you pull out of Premier League chich won't exist what happens to all the older players - say 24 and 25 going through the ranks.

Will the consortium still exist and who is the dull siff that decided to get rid of permier league
thats a great question you ask Ozzie,

In answer to your question, Newtown will be affected in the same way it has since 1991 when they returned to the playing field, our concern lays fairly at the feet of 50plus year old's not the 24-25 year old players.

poor managemant and lack of buisness skills and knowledge will be the down fall of the Jets not premier league taking a step backwards.

2 True Blues

Coach
Jeffles said:
If last year is anything to go by, the NSWRL will be accepting entries right down to December so we won't know until then. All non-Foundation Clubs are playing coy. Some of them will outsource at their own risk. The number of good standard clubs to outsource to is quite limited. Some clubs will end up with bad deals for the sake of it when they'd be better off keeping to themselves.

I think Canberra are re locating as such to the QLD cup. :sarcasm:

Jeffles said:

Dallas

Juniors
New to your forums, Jeffles posts on ours and its nice to hear from him every so often, so I thought Id return the favour!

Im a Black and White until the day I die, so Id like to give you a view from my side of the fence.

Before you read on, please take a moment to read my Signature disclamer. I do believe that, although they wont post, that Phillip St does read any forum that talks about the game, so I recommend that everyone is sensible when talking about things, and dont bag your club out, regardless of if you think they made a dumb decision or otherwise.

Now thats done, heres my view of it all, apoligies for the long post.

The NSWRL has asked for applications from any interested parties for season 2008, and clubs are now waiting to hear further information from Phillip St. However, the NSWRL has NOT advised any of these application clubs what form the competition will take next season. I have it on good authority that the request went out for applications to be made, with the added "Apply, but we dont know what form the competition will take yet".

So, there will be a competition, but what form it takes no one knows. It may be a full season that corresponds to the NRL, it may be (highly unlikely, but its unknown) a knock out competition over 6 weeks! (Remember jersey flegg a few years ago?!).

Whilst some clubs (not naming names or saying that Newtown is or isnt one of these clubs) need to get their shops in order, I believe that its really Phillip St that needs to take a good long hard look at themselves.

The NSWRL is the custodians of The Game in Sydney, so ultimately, it is up to them to ensure that our game grows and prospers, and this is where they are failing, I believe.

No Sydney paper will dedicate any column space to the competiton. Not because its not a decent competition, but because theres the NRL competition, and lets face it, the NRL is more popular, and theres no denying that.

However, shouldnt it be up to the NSWRL to work to create an alternate product to attract people to the matches?!

Im certain theres plenty of money in Phillip St for them to consider a small ad in Thursdays Tele every week with the draw for the week, and then maybe a little bit of editorial.

Next season, I dont believe that the NSWRL will be piggybacking on the NRL fixtures. Im led to believe that there will be 2 games on match day, with every NRL team having an "Under 21" team.

The issue with that is, and this again is only my understanding, is that there wont be a Jersey Flegg Competition at all next year. Kind of sad, considering how long that the Presidents Club/Jersey Flegg competition has been going for.

Whilst this wont really affect clubs that merged, it may not be good for clubs like Newtown or Norths that dont actually have an interest as such in a NRL team. Yes I know both Newtown and Norths have agreements with NRL teams (Easts and Souths), however, it is just that, an agreement. Clubs like St George, Wests and Balmain, and of course the NRL teams all at least have that actual link and interest in the NRL competition. This assists us in selling merchandise at NRL matches (the 3 matches a year we get in Campbelltown), Balmain do the same at Leichhardt, and help us both work for the better of both our clubs.

All of the foundation teams that are not in the NRL are in the strongest positions however, to take advantage of this new competition.

You will have a new competition with 4 foundation clubs in it, Western Suburbs, Newtown, North Sydney, and last Balmain. Id say at least on paper that Balmain are the weakest of the four, purely because of the merger with Ryde Eastwood. But, thats going to make them strong because of the money coming in from the Ryde-Eastwood side of things.

North Sydney - Has a leagues Club
Western Suburbs - Leagues Club
Newtown - no leagues club, but a social club.

Now, lets look at the actual intelectual property of the clubs, aka Logos, Jerseys etc...

All clubs have at least 1 peice of intelectual property that is very strong.

Western Suburbs - the Magpie, and also the V (Victa) style jersey. Links to Campbelltown are important, but Campbelltown Sports ground itself is just another stadium.
Balmain - The tiger (no special jersey, however, the all orange one is the best known). Leichardt, yeah its part of Balmain, but I wouldnt consider it a selling point.
North Sydney - Apart from the Bear, they changed jerseys so much that there wasnt one that stood out (at least for me). North Sydney Oval is very important to this club also.
Newtown - Argue this point, but "Jets" isnt the selling point of this club. Its the Logo with the N in it, and also the all blue jersey, and also the "Bluebags" nickname, and also Henson Park.

Id strongly suggest that Newtown try to really embrace the Bluebags tradition, unfortunently, its not something I see happening.

I think the other thing is for ALL clubs to strictly enforce the protection of their property. For that reason, if you see anything, especially on EBAY that doesnt look quite right, dont bid on it and report it to your club. I noted in one of your topics that this was happening a bit with your club, so start to enforce it guys!

greg

Juniors
Hello Dallas, you make some valid points. The one thing that totally gives me the sh#ts Dallas is that 2008 is the centenary of the great game. The NSWRL don't give a stuff. Fancy not having a clue as too what shape your competition is taking in its centenary year, its pathetic and verging on criminal (perhaps 2 true blues can arrest the NSWRL directors for "falsely pretending to have the game at heart").
The NSWRL is just the NRLs lap dog and has been since Rupert and Ribot came up with the "vision". I agree with you that it appears there is a strong possibility that the only teams we may possibly recognise are the 4 foundations you mentioned. Very sad.....

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Western Suburbs - the Magpie, and also the V (Victa) style jersey. Links to Campbelltown are important, but Campbelltown Sports ground itself is just another stadium.

Lets see the Maggies back at Pratten Park I reckon! :) ;-)

Dallas

Juniors
nbb, I dont think that would ever happen on a full time basis mate! Campbelltown is our home, and indeed is a marketing thing for us, however, what Im saying is that we cant use Campbelltown Stadium as a marketing asset itself. Not like Henson, North Sydney Oval, or even Belmore.

Orana park, however, now thats a different story!

Greg, for fear of causing hassles for my club, I wont comment on NSWRL directors, however, I will say that I agree in not seeing anything being done for 100 years of our game, and the respect that our clubs deserve! Read into that what you wish.

Latest posts