What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE NRL DON'T FOLLOW US BRITS WITH THIS.

Iamback

Coach
Alcohol consumption can effect recovery rates for all sorts of injuries, but that's completely different than suggesting it may be causing CTE.

I don't know how much more clearly I can put this than to say that CTE (and other similar conditions) is a specific form of brain damage caused by the physical process of the brain bouncing off the skull. As far as we know it cannot occur any other way, and it certainly isn't caused by substance abuse.

In other words substance abuse not only does not cause CTE, but it physically can not cause it. It's impossible and anybody suggesting otherwise is full of shit.

BTW, we know enough about this stuff now to be able to say that the concussion protocols impact on preventing CTE would be negligible at best.

Where did I say it caused CTE?

What I said was those who have CTE have other factors that can't all be put on to sport.

Like this printed on CNN website in August, This is from looking at medical records OF those with confirmed CTE.

Attachments

• IMG_2427.png
    IMG_2427.png
    612.3 KB · Views: 3

Iamback

Coach
However we know you can't indentify CTE until death. Dementia being a potential sign

These 2 in particular would apply to the older players.

So that is my point about making the game safer but can't directly link it to the game alone

Attachments

• IMG_2428.png
    IMG_2428.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 3

Iamback

Coach
But safety and what is deemed acceptable risk differs with different jobs though doesn't it?

Obvious example being the armed forces where you have a chance of being shot or dying on deployment. Obviously compensation is provided in these circumstances.

That is the thing. Players have the right to be employed elsewhere if given all the information they deem the risk too high

The Great Dane

First Grade
Where did I say it caused CTE?

What I said was those who have CTE have other factors that can't all be put on to sport.

Like this printed on CNN website in August, This is from looking at medical records OF those with confirmed CTE.
CTE is a condition with a broad range of symptoms, and many of those symptoms are incredibly common. It isn't at all surprising that every member of a study group would suffer from at least one of those symptoms, when in fact the majority of the world's population would.

However, displaying multiple or most of those symptoms at once is a very good indicator of a deeper issue, and in this case would more than likely suggest that the individual at least has some form of severe brain damage, and given the risk factors associated with contact sport and athletes propensity to develop it, it's significantly more likely than not that that brain damage will be CTE in the case of professional combat and contact sportsmen.

This really isn't the point you think it is...
However we know you can't indentify CTE until death. Dementia being a potential sign

These 2 in particular would apply to the older players.

So that is my point about making the game safer but can't directly link it to the game alone
Yeah and it's possible to develop emphysema without ever smoking. But what are the odds of a lifelong chain smoker's emphysema being totally unrelated to their smoking habit. . .

Besides, on average the forms of dementia that are associated with substance abuse (e.g. Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome) display differently than CTE and can be diagnosed without an autopsy. In other words it'd take a serious f**k up to confuse them for CTE, and doctors would test patients with risk factors for those conditions for them before jumping to diagnosing CTE.

BTW, the list you provided is a list of risk factors for dementia, and most of them aren't even really risk factors for dementia so much as risk factors for other conditions that can be risk factors or causes of dementia. Something tells me that your average doctor would explore the fact that a player had suffered a stroke before they jumped to CTE being the cause their dementia lol.

Maximus

Coach
But safety and what is deemed acceptable risk differs with different jobs though doesn't it?

Obvious example being the armed forces where you have a chance of being shot or dying on deployment. Obviously compensation is provided in these circumstances.

But the suggestion was for players to sign consent forms and waive any compensation claims.

Latest posts