What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG HUNTERS 2021

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Hunters 3rd try last week gets number 1 on the Weeks Top 5 Plays.
Great try scored after working the ball out of their own in-goal area and going all the way in just 1 tackle.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/04/27/top-five-intrust-super-cup-round-5/
Great try from 1 end of the pitch to the other.

lots of new names and faces in the hunters team for me this year ME but I’ve been especially impressed with the fullback wapi, winger brown and centre bire so far.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Great try from 1 end of the pitch to the other.

lots of new names and faces in the hunters team for me this year ME but I’ve been especially impressed with the fullback wapi, winger brown and centre bire so far.

Yeah those 3 have been going great.
Wapi is in his second year as a Hunters player while the other 2 are both new boys.

For Brown it was actually only his second game as he only made his debut the week before against the Falcons when he scored 2 tries on debut.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Yeah those 3 have been going great.
Wapi is in his second year as a Hunters player while the other 2 are both new boys.

For Brown it was actually only his second game as he only made his debut the week before against the Falcons when he scored 2 tries on debut.
Brown was/is the replacement for the injured Gotuno isn’t he?

he(brown) looks lighting fast while wapi looks very elusive. Bire looks very strong and skilful.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Brown was/is the replacement for the injured Gotuno isn’t he?

he(brown) looks lighting fast while wapi looks very elusive. Bire looks very strong and skilful.

Yes Brown was a replacement for Gotuno but I always thought he should have been picked ahead of Gotuno from round 1. He is younger, bigger and faster than Gotuno and is double Premiership winner in the Digicel Cup.

Wapi is always elusive as you said and Bire is a clone of Justin Olam.

Coastbloke

Bench
These blokes need f***ing Tests, not sitting on the sidelines while Origin is played..
Keep playing Fiji and Tonga and within a couple of years they could pack out the new SFS or Suncorp in a Kangaroos Test.

This game is so bloody blind....

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
These blokes need f***ing Tests, not sitting on the sidelines while Origin is played..
Keep playing Fiji and Tonga and within a couple of years they could pack out the new SFS or Suncorp in a Kangaroos Test.

This game is so bloody blind....
100%. I’d rather watch PNG v Fiji everyday of the week than SOO. In fact I haven’t watched a SOO series since the late 90’s.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Yes Brown was a replacement for Gotuno but I always thought he should have been picked ahead of Gotuno from round 1. He is younger, bigger and faster than Gotuno and is double Premiership winner in the Digicel Cup.

Wapi is always elusive as you said and Bire is a clone of Justin Olam.
Brown, wapi and bire need to be signed up by some NRL teams ASAP.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/rimbu-picked-to-fill-no-6/

Rimbu picked to fill No.6
April 29, 2021The NationalSports

SP Hunters coach Matthew Church says 19 year old youngster Judah Rimbu will get first crack in the No.6 jersey following five-eighth Watson Boas’ departure to English third-tier club Doncaster.
“Boas’ departure opens the door for an opportunity in the halves,” he said in his weekly column in The National.
“We have used young Judah Rimbu sparingly in the first five rounds, looking for opportunities to play him in the halves.
“We managed to get him a few minutes against the Falcons a few weeks ago.
“While Judah has come on and played out of position, he has played up-tempo while remaining calm and measured.
“There’s a lot to like about this youngster, he will get the first opportunity to make that spot his own and I look forward to seeing him develop as a Hunter.”
Meanwhile, forward Stanton Albert and back Gilmo Paul — who stayed behind when the squad left for Australia in the pre-season — will join the Hunters at Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast in the coming weeks.
Hunters general manager Scott Barker told The National yesterday that veteran playmaker Ase Boas and Stanley Olo may be considered if their services were needed later in the Queensland Intrust Super Cup season.
“The Hunters have been in the process of trying to secure the services of some more players in addition to those that are already here in Australia,” Barker said.
“As you all are aware, Watson Boas has departed the squad and returned to his club in the UK.
“Gilmo Paul and Stanton Albert will be the first to join the squad if they complete all the necessary quarantine steps as requested by the Australian government.”
It is understood that Boas is training with Digicel Cup franchise Port Moresby Vipers to keep fit.
Albert’s inclusion will boost the Hunters’ pack, given injuries to key forwards Enock Maki and Epel Kapinias.
Digicel Cup premiership winner Paul will give Church more options in the backline with winger Brendon Gotuno sidelined after breaking his arm in their 26-14 round-three win over hosts Mackay Cutters.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Very sad news that PNG Hunters rising star Jokedi Bire will not be able to play the game again. The Justin Olam clone was being monitored by several NRL Clubs before his illness.

PNG Hunters rugby league star retires after lifesaving surgery​

Papua New Guinea Hunters rugby league player Jokadi Bire has confirmed his retirement from the game after undergoing lifesaving heart surgery.

The 22 year old centre was admitted to Gold Coast University Hospital on 15 June after falling ill at the start of a team weights session.

He was quickly diagnosed with a serious heart problem and underwent emergency surgery later that day.

He was discharged from hospital in July and has been told that he can now expect to live a full life, but the rising star is coming to terms with the fact that he can never play rugby league again.

Speaking publicly about his health scare for the first time, Bire said he had woken up ok as usual and did not feel anything strange until heading off to complete his workout.

"At around noon I went to the gym to do my weights," he said.

"I did my rehab with the team and we moved straight into our weights exercises. As I was doing my weights exercise, I felt a bit dizzy and found it a bit difficult to speak."
The Hunters called paramedics who arrived at the gym and quickly diagnosed symptoms of a stroke.

After being rushed to hospital he underwent brain scans which showed the stroke had been caused by a tear in Bire's aorta, which meant his life was beginning to ebb away.

He was rushed into surgery for a nine-hour operation that would save his life, and his aortic valve was replaced with a mechanical valve.

The former Lae Snax Tigers star was placed in a coma for three days after the surgery and spent a week in the hospital's intensive care unit before being moved to the cardiac ward for two weeks. He would spend another two weeks in the neuro rehabilitation ward before finally being cleared to rejoin his Hunters' team-mates.

"Thank you Lord for giving me a second chance and thank you Lord for everything that has ever happened to me," he said.

"Rugby league allowed me to come here - right next to the hospital. If I had not been here, the outcome might not have been the same for me.

"It was a very quick time from feeling sick to getting operated on. The team at the Gold

Coast University Hospital were incredible. They saved me. I know some patients have died in hospital with this condition. Lucky for me. Thank you to all the staff. I can't thank them enough."
Bire earned a spot in the Hunters squad after starring in last year's Digicel Cup domestic competition in PNG, scoring 11 tries for beaten finalists Lae.

He made an instant impression in the Intrust Super Cup, scoring eight tries in 10 appearances before falling ill, and admitted it has taken some time to accept his burgeoning rugby league career is now over.

"Being a kid from the settlement, it was my dream to play professional rugby league but

unfortunately my career is shortened due to the illness," he said.

"When I heard the result from the doctors that I cannot play, I didn't accept it at first. It's difficult. Most of my fans were expecting me to play again. That hurts because I wanted to play well for them. I know there are other small kids like me who want to play also.

"My family is very heartbroken as well. We have grown up in a poor settlement and every day we are striving for success."
Bire was raised in Kundiawa but his people are from nearby Salt Nomane in Chimbu. As he began to recover in hospital, he stayed in contact with his brother Shalom, who plays for the Port Moresby Vipers in the Digicel Cup and way able to relay news of his condition to family and friends as they prayed for his recovery.

Jokadi is continuing to improve at the Hunters' training base at Runaway Bay and intends to remain involved within the rugby league community in the years ahead.

He will return to Papua New Guinea with the Hunters squad at later this month and will graduate from the PNG University of Technology with a degree in electrical engineering.

"I'm lucky. I know that," he said.

"I have much to be grateful for including the support of my family, my team-mates and the many people who sent me messages of support. That meant a lot to me. Thank you."

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Very sad news that PNG Hunters rising star Jokedi Bire will not be able to play the game again. The Justin Olam clone was being monitored by several NRL Clubs before his illness.

PNG Hunters rugby league star retires after lifesaving surgery​

Papua New Guinea Hunters rugby league player Jokadi Bire has confirmed his retirement from the game after undergoing lifesaving heart surgery.

The 22 year old centre was admitted to Gold Coast University Hospital on 15 June after falling ill at the start of a team weights session.

He was quickly diagnosed with a serious heart problem and underwent emergency surgery later that day.

He was discharged from hospital in July and has been told that he can now expect to live a full life, but the rising star is coming to terms with the fact that he can never play rugby league again.

Speaking publicly about his health scare for the first time, Bire said he had woken up ok as usual and did not feel anything strange until heading off to complete his workout.

"At around noon I went to the gym to do my weights," he said.

"I did my rehab with the team and we moved straight into our weights exercises. As I was doing my weights exercise, I felt a bit dizzy and found it a bit difficult to speak."
The Hunters called paramedics who arrived at the gym and quickly diagnosed symptoms of a stroke.

After being rushed to hospital he underwent brain scans which showed the stroke had been caused by a tear in Bire's aorta, which meant his life was beginning to ebb away.

He was rushed into surgery for a nine-hour operation that would save his life, and his aortic valve was replaced with a mechanical valve.

The former Lae Snax Tigers star was placed in a coma for three days after the surgery and spent a week in the hospital's intensive care unit before being moved to the cardiac ward for two weeks. He would spend another two weeks in the neuro rehabilitation ward before finally being cleared to rejoin his Hunters' team-mates.

"Thank you Lord for giving me a second chance and thank you Lord for everything that has ever happened to me," he said.

"Rugby league allowed me to come here - right next to the hospital. If I had not been here, the outcome might not have been the same for me.

"It was a very quick time from feeling sick to getting operated on. The team at the Gold

Coast University Hospital were incredible. They saved me. I know some patients have died in hospital with this condition. Lucky for me. Thank you to all the staff. I can't thank them enough."
Bire earned a spot in the Hunters squad after starring in last year's Digicel Cup domestic competition in PNG, scoring 11 tries for beaten finalists Lae.

He made an instant impression in the Intrust Super Cup, scoring eight tries in 10 appearances before falling ill, and admitted it has taken some time to accept his burgeoning rugby league career is now over.

"Being a kid from the settlement, it was my dream to play professional rugby league but

unfortunately my career is shortened due to the illness," he said.

"When I heard the result from the doctors that I cannot play, I didn't accept it at first. It's difficult. Most of my fans were expecting me to play again. That hurts because I wanted to play well for them. I know there are other small kids like me who want to play also.

"My family is very heartbroken as well. We have grown up in a poor settlement and every day we are striving for success."
Bire was raised in Kundiawa but his people are from nearby Salt Nomane in Chimbu. As he began to recover in hospital, he stayed in contact with his brother Shalom, who plays for the Port Moresby Vipers in the Digicel Cup and way able to relay news of his condition to family and friends as they prayed for his recovery.

Jokadi is continuing to improve at the Hunters' training base at Runaway Bay and intends to remain involved within the rugby league community in the years ahead.

He will return to Papua New Guinea with the Hunters squad at later this month and will graduate from the PNG University of Technology with a degree in electrical engineering.

"I'm lucky. I know that," he said.

"I have much to be grateful for including the support of my family, my team-mates and the many people who sent me messages of support. That meant a lot to me. Thank you."
Terrible news. Sounded like he could of cracked the NRL but his health must come first.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Puara.jpg

Puara scoops awards

SP Hunters have rewarded the veteran of their squad, Wartovo Puara Jr, with the most prestigious awards of their Queensland Intrust Super Cup (ISC) season while also recognising their next wave of talents during an emotional end to their time in Australia.
The decorated hooker took out three major awards at the Hunters’ presentation night for his performances as they completed their seven-month stay on the Gold Coast before returning home for the offseason.
The 31-year-old, who this year became the Hunters’ most-capped player, received awards for the chairman’s player of the year, best forward and players’ player for his work across their 17 matches of this season.
The Hunters fielded 12 debutants this year, including rookie of the year Benji Kot and Sylvester Namo (coach’s award) who were among the award recipients.
Solomon Kuliniasi is one of the most treasured members of the Hunters’ support staff and he was delighted to receive the clubman of the year award for his tireless work with the team since their inaugural season. But the most emotional moment of the night came when Jokadi Bire was named best back for his storming performances at centre.
The Chimbu native has announced that his career is over after the devastation of a serious heart issue that almost claimed his life three days after he starred against minor premiers Norths.
Bire bravely announced two weeks ago that doctors had advised him that he could not play again after recovering from emergency heart surgery which has given him the expectation of a long life.
The best back award will remain a wonderful recognition of the potential that Bire showed throughout this season as he made a sudden impact in his first ISC campaign.
“It’s been a season of sacrifice for this Hunters squad being away from home due to Coronavirus restrictions,” Hunters chief executive Scott Barker said.
“But we had some outstanding moments on the field that we recognised with these awards.
“Wartovo was a very deserving winner of the major awards for another high-quality season of football.
“He set a strong example to the younger players who learned so much this year, placing the Hunters in a promising position for next season.
“Jokadi’s award was well-deserved and a great sign of the bond that this team created during their seven months away.
“The benefits of this season will be realised in the years ahead, and the likes of Benji, Sylvester and our other 2021 debutants have promising futures with the team.” Awards winners: Wartovo Puara Jr (chairman’s player, best forward and players’ player of the year), Jokadi Bire (best back), Benji Kot (rookie of the year), Sylvester Namo (coach’s player), Solomon Kuliniasi (clubman of the year).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there much being done in PNG for the next group down in terms of élite academies for the 16-18 year olds?