What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG HUNTERS 2022

mikail-eagle

Bench

PNG Hunters name exciting squad for 2022 season.

SP PNG Hunters squad for 2022 Intrust Super Cup season:
Terry Wapi; Solo Wane; Brendan Nima; Gilimo Paul; Judah Rimbu; Ila Alu; Samuel Yegip; Sylvester Namo; Dilbert Isaac; Jordan Pat; Keven Appo; Emmanuel Waine; Wartovo Puara; Norman Brown; Brendon Gotuno; Junior Rau; Benji Kot; Epel Kapinias; Solomon Pokare; Edwin Ipape;

Jesse Matthew (Waghi Tumbe); Liam Joseph (Agmark Gurias); Roderock Tai (Lae Snax Tigers); Mark Tony (Lae Snax Tigers); Jamie Mavoko (Lae Snax Tigers); Valentine Culligan (Hela Wigmen); Casey Dickson (Lae Snax Tigers); Tony Worrot (Kimbe Cutters); Kitron Laka (Lae Snax Tigers); Sherwin Tanabi (Lae Snax Tigers); Francis Kembis (Waghi Tumbe); Nathan Tente (Agmark Gurias). The new players to the squad are listed with their Digicel Cup teams.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Just some specific on the players selected;

1. Terry Wapi - Fullback (incumbent)
2. Solo Wane - Winger (incumbent)
3. Brendan Nima- Right Centre (incumbent)
4. Gilimo Paul Left Centre (incumbent)
5. Judah Rimbu - Utility back (incumbent)
6. Ila Alu- Lock (incumbent)
7. Samuel Yegip- Prop (incumbent)
8. Sylvester Namo- Prop (incumbent)
9. Dilbert Isaac - Prop (Returning-year off with injury)
10. Jordan Pat- Prop (Returning-year off with injury- Coached Waghi Tumbe to Digicel Cup grand Final last year.
11. Keven Appo- 2nd row edge forward (Incumbent)
12. Emmanuel Waine- 2nd row edge forward (Incumbent)
13. Wartovo Puara- Hooker (The only original Hunters player remaining from 2014 debut season)
14. Norman Brown- Fullback/Centre/Wing (Incumbent)
15. Brendon Gotuno- Winger (Incumbent)
16. Junior Rau- Winger (Incumbent)
17. Benji Kot- Centre/edge forward (incumbent)
18. Epel Kapinias - 2nd row/Prop (incumbent)
19. Solomon Pokare - Half/Five-eight (incumbent)
20. Edwin Ipape- Hooker/Half (Incumbent)

21. Jesse Matthew (Waghi Tumbe) - Fullback
22. Liam Joseph (Agmark Gurias) - Winger
23. Roderock Tai (Lae Snax Tigers)- Centre
24. Mark Tony (Lae Snax Tigers)- Five-eight
25. Jamie Mavoko (Lae Snax Tigers)-Halfback
26.; Valentine Culligan (Hela Wigmen) - Prop
27 Casey Dickson (Lae Snax Tigers)- 2nd row edge forward
28. Tony Worrot (Kimbe Cutters) - Prop
29. Kitron Laka (Lae Snax Tigers)- Lock forward
30.Sherwin Tanabi (Lae Snax Tigers)- Centre
31. Francis Kembis (Waghi Tumbe)- Prop
32. Nathan Tente (Agmark Gurias)- Hooker

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
After 8 or 9 seasons it’s about time that the hunters started to deliver NRL standard and quality players.

Also the NRL clubs need to give these raw talents more of a chance.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Just some specific on the players selected;

1. Terry Wapi - Fullback (incumbent)
2. Solo Wane - Winger (incumbent)
3. Brendan Nima- Right Centre (incumbent)
4. Gilimo Paul Left Centre (incumbent)
5. Judah Rimbu - Utility back (incumbent)
6. Ila Alu- Lock (incumbent)
7. Samuel Yegip- Prop (incumbent)
8. Sylvester Namo- Prop (incumbent)
9. Dilbert Isaac - Prop (Returning-year off with injury)
10. Jordan Pat- Prop (Returning-year off with injury- Coached Waghi Tumbe to Digicel Cup grand Final last year.
11. Keven Appo- 2nd row edge forward (Incumbent)
12. Emmanuel Waine- 2nd row edge forward (Incumbent)
13. Wartovo Puara- Hooker (The only original Hunters player remaining from 2014 debut season)
14. Norman Brown- Fullback/Centre/Wing (Incumbent)
15. Brendon Gotuno- Winger (Incumbent)
16. Junior Rau- Winger (Incumbent)
17. Benji Kot- Centre/edge forward (incumbent)
18. Epel Kapinias - 2nd row/Prop (incumbent)
19. Solomon Pokare - Half/Five-eight (incumbent)
20. Edwin Ipape- Hooker/Half (Incumbent)

21. Jesse Matthew (Waghi Tumbe) - Fullback
22. Liam Joseph (Agmark Gurias) - Winger
23. Roderock Tai (Lae Snax Tigers)- Centre
24. Mark Tony (Lae Snax Tigers)- Five-eight
25. Jamie Mavoko (Lae Snax Tigers)-Halfback
26.; Valentine Culligan (Hela Wigmen) - Prop
27 Casey Dickson (Lae Snax Tigers)- 2nd row edge forward
28. Tony Worrot (Kimbe Cutters) - Prop
29. Kitron Laka (Lae Snax Tigers)- Lock forward
30.Sherwin Tanabi (Lae Snax Tigers)- Centre
31. Francis Kembis (Waghi Tumbe)- Prop
32. Nathan Tente (Agmark Gurias)- Hooker
Any new players to keep a lookout for in 2022 ME?

heard good things about the waghi tumbe #1 Matthew.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Any new players to keep a lookout for in 2022 ME?

heard good things about the waghi tumbe #1 Matthew.

Yeah Matthew will definitely give good competition to Terry Wapi for the Fullbacks spot.
Mark Tony from the Lae Tigers is another player that I'm keen to see in the ISC

mikail-eagle

Bench

Hunters pick six Tigers​

November 22, 2021The NationalSports

DIGICEL Cup premiers Lae Tigers have contributed half of the 12 new faces in the SP Hunters train-on squad announced on Friday. Runners-up Waghi Tumbe and Rabaul Gurias have supplied two players each.

Out of the 12 Digicel Cup teams, only the Tigers, Tumbe, Gurias, Hela Wigmen and Kimbe Cutters contributed at least one player to the 2017 Queensland Intrust Super Cup champions.
“The players we chose were picked for their suitability and how we wanted to play our game.
“There is no favouritism; I’ve got no allegiance to any club.
“I chose purely on how they will suit the Hunters. The new faces are Jesse Matthew, Francis Kembis (Tumbe), Nathan Tente, Liam Joseph (Gurias), Roderick Tai, Mark Tony, Jamie Mavoko, Casey Dickson, Kitron Laka, Sherwin Tanabi (Tigers), Valentine Culligan (Wigmen), Tony Worrot (Cutters).

Church said a final 26-man squad would be announced in February before they relocated again to Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast.Meanwhile, he said premiership-winning Hunters trio Ase Boas, Enock Maki and Stanton Albert will not be part of the 2022 squad for varying reasons.

Church said playmaker Boas would not be fit for the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored team’s ninth Cup season as the veteran, who would turn 33 on Boxing Day, had been battling a niggling injury in recent years.
He said 31-year-old Maki had called time on his colourful rugby league career in which the Papua New Guinea Kumuls prop scored five tries across 99 Cup appearances since 2015.
“I want to make it clear that the trio were not dropped,” Church said.
“I had a discussion with Maki about his body and he chose to retire.“After I talking to him, that was what he wanted and he handled that quite gracefully.
“Boas probably wouldn’t meet medical qualifications and it was his own choice. Albert has some personal issues. “We understand that his dad is unwell and they are trying to get him to surgery and he has other things to focus on.
“He was offered to return, but he chose not to and we respect that.”

mikail-eagle

Bench

Church thrilled to pick Worot
November 25, 2021The NationalSports

COACH Matthew Church says he is excited to enlist Kimbe Cutters prop Tony Worot for pre-season training with his SP Hunters despite the absence of experienced Papua New Guinea forwards.
The only Cutter selected for Church’s 32-man train-on squad, the East New Briton – with his height and weight – is expected to come into calculations for the final squad alongside experienced campaigner Epel Kapinias.
Church told The National last Friday that he was backing Worot to fill the void created by Kumuls pair Enock Maki and Stanton Albert, who both would not be part of their 2022 Queensland Intrust Super Cup campaign.
“I am excited to work with Tony,” he said of the 26-year-old.
“Anthony is rangy and lean. We don’t have a lot of those around in PNG, so to get someone like him, it gives balance to the team.
“He is such a young guy who really impressed me in his first week of pre-season training.
Tony Worot walking off the field after the Kimbe Cutters’ Digicel Cup match against fellow New Guinea Islanders Rabaul Gurias at the National Football Stadium in Port Moresby last season. – Nationalpic by MICHAEL PHILIP
“He has a great running style. We can credit that to his long legs.
“He has been really good to start the pre-season.
“We’re excited to build on what he knows and what he can learn in a bid to make him the player that we want him to be.” The made coach Matthew Church’s initial 32-man squad in the pre-season and is now one selection away from making the final 26 for the 2022 Intrust Super Cup Season.
Worot played for Digicel Cup heavyweights Lae Tigers in 2015 and 2016 before the Nangananga villager returned home the following year to join Rabaul Gurias.
The 186cm, 102kg forward switched to the Cutters when the Kimbe side joined the country’s premier rugby league competition in 2019.
“I’m excited to be here as I’ve always dreamed of playing for the Hunters,” Worot said.
“I’m looking forward to the pre-season grind.

Cutters forward Tony Worot taking on the Gurias defence. – Nationalfilepics
“I have to work hard and continue improving to get good results at training.
“Hopefully, I make the final 26-man squad, but I’m not looking too far ahead.”
The South Pacific Brewery-sponsored Hunters are into their second week of pre-season training and Church – alongside assistant coaches Paul Aiton and Stanley Tepend – is keeping an eye on every player.
Meanwhile, Cutters coach Luke Samak congratulated Worot on his selection.
“We are thrilled that one of our players has joined the Hunters for pre-season training,” he said.
“We wish him all the best in his bid to make the final squad.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
What a moron 😔

A few weeks before Christmas the highly talented Edwin Ipape was also released for the same reasons.

Also dropped were Brendon Gotuno & Norman Brown for fitness reasons.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
A few weeks before Christmas the highly talented Edwin Ipape was also released for the same reasons.

Also dropped were Brendon Gotuno & Norman Brown for fitness reasons.
It says in the article that a NRL club was interested in kapinias last season but pulled out because of his ill discipline.

Hasn't Ipape also trained with manly sea Eagles a few seasons back?

mikail-eagle

Bench

1642050773008.png

Kapinias accepts decision
January 13, 2022The NationalSports
By MICHAEL PHILIP
PROMISING rugby league forward Epel Kapinias has accepted his sacking from the SP PNG Hunters but is unsure what he did wrong.
The club released a statement earlier this week announcing the 23-year-old’s termination but did not give much detail other than to say that Kapinias had been sacked for “breaking team rules during the first half of pre-season training.”
The statement added that Kapinias had not “lived up to the values and standards set and expected by the Hunters organisation.”
Kapinias declined to comment on the details of his sacking but said he accepted the decision of the Hunters management and would return to his club Rabaul Gurias in the Digicel Cup and continue to improve as a player.
“I can’t say anything back to the Hunters management but I accept their decision,” he said.
“The rules, values and standards set by the Hunters management, yes it’s there but where did I go wrong? I still don’t know? But, as I’ve said I am here willing to give back to my provincial team the Gurias for this season.”
He said he was still waiting for further clarification from the club on the rules he breached and values and standards he did not live up to.
Hunters coach Matthew Church said he could not vouch for players who did not value the opportunity presented to them at the Hunters.
“There is no bigger fan of Epel than me so I felt this could have been a huge year for him in regards to NRL and the World Cup,” Church said.
Papua New Guinea Kumuls coach Michael Marum when asked if the Hunters code of conduct, rules and expectations put on players was fair and reasonable, said he could not comment on what the club’s management had in place.
“It is indeed very disappointing news for me to hear that young Epel was released by the Hunters following what specific reasons, we still don’t know, but I hope he learns from it and makes a move on in this year Digicel Cup season with the Gurias and hopefully he can make a come-back and fight his way up again,” Marum, who coached the Hunters from 2014 to 2019 and won a premiership in 2017, said.
He said if Kapinias performed at the Digicel Cup level with the Gurias he would consider him for selection into the Kumuls squad for this year’s World Cup in England.

mikail-eagle

Bench
It says in the article that a NRL club was interested in kapinias last season but pulled out because of his ill discipline.

Hasn't Ipape also trained with manly sea Eagles a few seasons back?

Edwin Ipape has now signed for Leigh Centurions in the English Championship.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors

Edwin Ipape has now signed for Leigh Centurions in the English Championship.
Hopefully Adrian lam will sign a few more kumuls for this coming season.

maybe even sign kapinias as well and others who are cut from the hunters training squad.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Final 26 men squad announced.

Hunters name 11 debutants​

January 27, 2022The NationalSports
REIGNING Digicel Cup premiership-winning Lae Tigers halves Mark Tony and Jamie Mavoko were among 11 new faces named in the final 26-man SP Hunters squad yesterday.
Digicel Cup grand finalists Roderick Tai, Kitron Laka, Sherwin Tanabi, Matthew Jesse and Francis Kembis also got the nod for the upcoming Hostplus Cup season in Queensland, Australia.
They join fellow new faces in Liam Joseph (Rabaul Gurias), Kingstimer Paraia (Port Moresby Vipers Academy), Tony Worot (Kimbe Cutters) and Wesa Tenza (Mendi Muruks).
Returning to the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored side are Tigers workhorses Casey Dickson and Junior Rop who are expected to form a formidable pack alongside co-captains Keven Appo and Ila Alu.
But incumbent winger Junior Rau, Solomon Pokari, electric Tigers No.1 Sanny Wabo, nippy Gurias rake Nathan Tente, game-breaking Muruks forward Nelson Yei and Wigmen skipper Valentine Culligan missed the cut.
“It is my pleasure to announce the final squad of 26 for the upcoming season,” Hunters coach Matthew Church said.
“We have an exciting mix of returning and new players from Papua New Guinea’s premier rugby league competition, the Digicel Cup.
“There is a real hunger within the group to perform, challenge each other and strive towards a better season.”
Church also confirmed the Hunters’ leadership model for the new season.
“I am proud to announce that (2021 vice-captain) Keven Appo steps up alongside (2021 captain) Ila Alu to be co-captains of the Hunters this year,” he said.
“They will be joined in a leadership group with 2022 vice-captain Brandon Nima.
“All three players have been dominant voices throughout an encouraging pre-season.”
This will be the second year that the Hunters have relocated to Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast to maintain their slot in the Hostplus Cup. Church acknowledged the added difficulty, but said his men were motivated to perform.
“Last year presented plenty of challenges, none more so than many of the Hunters players living in a new country for the first time,” he said.
“Like most first-time adventures, you can’t expect to always get things right and we’ve taken confidence from lessons learnt last year.
“The new season has the promise to be better still.
“On behalf of the playing squad and staff, I would like to acknowledge the ongoing support of our sponsors, partners and stakeholders that make all this possible.
“Without your support, we can’t do what we love and that is represent you all and PNG in the best light.
“To the families of the Hunters players and staff, thank you for supporting them on this journey.
“To everyone across PNG, please stay safe.
“We take great honour in representing you all and aim to bring you pride every time we play this year.”

Squad: Terry Wapi, Solo Wane, Brandon Nima, Gilimo Paul, Judah Rimbu, Ila Alu, Samuel Yegip, Sylvester Namo, Dilbert Isaac, Jordan Pat, Keven Appo, Emmanuel Waine, Benji Kot, Matthew Jesse, Liam Joseph, Roderick Tai, Mark Tony, Jamie Mavoko, Casey Dickson, Anthony Worot, Sherwin Tanabi, Francis Kembis, Kingstimer Paraia, Wesa Tenza, Junior Rop, Kitron Laka.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Final 26 men squad announced.

Hunters name 11 debutants​

January 27, 2022The NationalSports
REIGNING Digicel Cup premiership-winning Lae Tigers halves Mark Tony and Jamie Mavoko were among 11 new faces named in the final 26-man SP Hunters squad yesterday.
Digicel Cup grand finalists Roderick Tai, Kitron Laka, Sherwin Tanabi, Matthew Jesse and Francis Kembis also got the nod for the upcoming Hostplus Cup season in Queensland, Australia.
They join fellow new faces in Liam Joseph (Rabaul Gurias), Kingstimer Paraia (Port Moresby Vipers Academy), Tony Worot (Kimbe Cutters) and Wesa Tenza (Mendi Muruks).
Returning to the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored side are Tigers workhorses Casey Dickson and Junior Rop who are expected to form a formidable pack alongside co-captains Keven Appo and Ila Alu.
But incumbent winger Junior Rau, Solomon Pokari, electric Tigers No.1 Sanny Wabo, nippy Gurias rake Nathan Tente, game-breaking Muruks forward Nelson Yei and Wigmen skipper Valentine Culligan missed the cut.
“It is my pleasure to announce the final squad of 26 for the upcoming season,” Hunters coach Matthew Church said.
“We have an exciting mix of returning and new players from Papua New Guinea’s premier rugby league competition, the Digicel Cup.
“There is a real hunger within the group to perform, challenge each other and strive towards a better season.”
Church also confirmed the Hunters’ leadership model for the new season.
“I am proud to announce that (2021 vice-captain) Keven Appo steps up alongside (2021 captain) Ila Alu to be co-captains of the Hunters this year,” he said.
“They will be joined in a leadership group with 2022 vice-captain Brandon Nima.
“All three players have been dominant voices throughout an encouraging pre-season.”
This will be the second year that the Hunters have relocated to Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast to maintain their slot in the Hostplus Cup. Church acknowledged the added difficulty, but said his men were motivated to perform.
“Last year presented plenty of challenges, none more so than many of the Hunters players living in a new country for the first time,” he said.
“Like most first-time adventures, you can’t expect to always get things right and we’ve taken confidence from lessons learnt last year.
“The new season has the promise to be better still.
“On behalf of the playing squad and staff, I would like to acknowledge the ongoing support of our sponsors, partners and stakeholders that make all this possible.
“Without your support, we can’t do what we love and that is represent you all and PNG in the best light.
“To the families of the Hunters players and staff, thank you for supporting them on this journey.
“To everyone across PNG, please stay safe.
“We take great honour in representing you all and aim to bring you pride every time we play this year.”

Squad: Terry Wapi, Solo Wane, Brandon Nima, Gilimo Paul, Judah Rimbu, Ila Alu, Samuel Yegip, Sylvester Namo, Dilbert Isaac, Jordan Pat, Keven Appo, Emmanuel Waine, Benji Kot, Matthew Jesse, Liam Joseph, Roderick Tai, Mark Tony, Jamie Mavoko, Casey Dickson, Anthony Worot, Sherwin Tanabi, Francis Kembis, Kingstimer Paraia, Wesa Tenza, Junior Rop, Kitron Laka.
What positions do the newcomers play ME and who should we lookout for?

mikail-eagle

Bench
What positions do the newcomers play ME and who should we lookout for?

The two new players I'm really keen to see will be the new halfs paring of Mark Tony and Jamie Mavoko. If anyone can rise up from the shadows of the Boas brothers and not get overawed it will probably be this two.

And also look out for Francis Kembis and Anthony Worot. They bring a bit of height and weight back to the forward pack.

The other new boys positions are as follows;

Matthew Jesse- Fullback
Liam Joseph - Winger
Roderick Tai- Centre
Sherwin Tanabi- 2nd row
Kingstimer Paraia - Utility Back
Wesa Tenza- Hooker
Kitron Laka- Prop

mikail-eagle

Bench

Church to use trials to pick his best 17 for season opener​

THE SP Hunters will use upcoming trial matches against Central Queensland Capras and Kaiviti Silktails to select their best 17 for their Hostplus Cup season opener against Mackay Cutters on March 19.
Unlike last year, the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored side will play trial matches prior to the season opener.
Coach Matthew Church told The National yesterday that his side would focus on building combinations in the trial matches.
“The SP Hunters have two trial games scheduled, pending travel and Coronavirus restrictions,” he said.
“The first trial will be on Feb 26 against Kaiviti Silktails at Bycroft Oval on the Gold Coast.
“The second trial will be on March 5 against Central Queensland Capras at Gladstone.
“We will work on combinations, start the framework for our game plan and challenge the players to see who wants to be selected for round one.”
The Hunters continue to train at Runaway Bay after they arrived there on Jan 26.
With 15 players from last year not retained in the side, it will be a challenge for the coaching staff to identify the best combinations with the bulk of the squad being new.
The side will be led by Ila Alu and Kevin Appo as co-captains while Brendon Nima will be their assistant. The Hunters’ season opener will be against hosts Cutters at BB Print Stadium in Mackay on March 19 (6.30pm kick-off).

Latest posts