What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG KUMULS Squad

mikail-eagle

Bench
From the Squad selected I think this is how they will line up.

1. Terry Wapi
2. Edene Gabbie
3. Xavier Coates
4. Justin Olam
5. Junior Rau
6. Lachlan Lam
7. Kyle Laybutt
8. Enoch Maki
9. James Segeyaro
10. Luke Page
11. Rhyse Martin
12. Nixon Putt
13. Moses Meninga

14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Rhadly Brawa
16. Stanton Albert
17. Edwin Epape
18. Zev John

mikail-eagle

Bench
Great to hear.

Who is Xavier Coates ME?

Don't know much about him but his mum is from PNG.

He has come through the Broncos system and is only 4-5 weeks into playing seniors for Tweed Head Seagulls in the Intrust Super Cup. And apparently he was Man of the Match for Queensland vs NSW in the U18's State Of Origin 2 weeks ago at Suncorp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
PNG still failing to really produce stars

I think its probably to do with the opportunities in early development....

Where PNG guys might be starting to get a look in at 18/20years old when they are breaking the NSW/QLD Cup levels, Aussie kids are getting picked up at 12/13. That difference of maybe 5 years during those foundation years are a huge difference in terms of nutritional education and skilled training.

I dont blame the clubs for it. Maybe 1 in 1000 of these 12 year olds even make it to the NSW/QLD Cup level, but with these Aussie kid, the cost of bringing them in a few time would be tiny. Meanwhile, the cost of bringing down a PNG kid would be huge for the same 1 in 1000 chance.

I think the answer would be PNG based academies for these kids to get easy access to these kids early...

(The developing economy should take care of the nutrition side by itself. One generation of Chinese kids with decent food and most of the kids here have an extra foot on their parents)

hutch

First Grade
They need to get under 18’s and 20’s into the qld systems.

They also need to scrap their ban on English lower grade players, some of those guys are quality!

hutch

First Grade
They also beat a Fiji side last year that had previously beaten NZ in the World Cup so they aren’t THAT bad. They will be competitive against Samoa.

mikail-eagle

Bench
The only players missing from last years Kumul Team are Watson Boas, Willie Minoga and Thompson Teteh who are now all in England and PNG never fly anyone back here for this Mid Year Pacific Tests.

Also not selected from last year are Rod Grifin and Adex Wera whom I believe have both quit from Rep duties while Ase Boas is out injured.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Justin Olam has just been ruled out by the Storm due to a niggling injury.
Replaced by Brendon Nima from the PNG Hunters.

latingringo101

Juniors
PNG have never really had full NRL experience teams. Their Pacific neighbours call on heritage full time pros while PNG mainly call on Hunter and state players.

It's funny because Hunter players have gone on to NSW/QLD cup comps or 2nd tier UK comps. The NRL exodus that we were all hoping hasn't happened yet

mikail-eagle

Bench
Lachlan Lam also rulled out yesterday with a wrist injury. He has been replaced by Roosters team mate Bernard Lewis.

mikail-eagle

Bench
This was pushed by alot of PNG Fans on Social Media when the severity of Kurt's injury became known. And its good that the PNGRFL has now acted.

Alot of fans already donating.

https://news.pngfacts.com/2019/07/pngrfl-launches-support-fund-campaign.html

PNGRFL launches Support Fund Campaign for injured Kumul Kurt Baptiste

THE Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) has opened up a bank account to assist Kumuls player Kurt Baptiste who suffered a knee injury during the Pacific Test against Toa Samoa in Sydney, Australia, last month.

The injury has ruled the North Queensland Cowboys rake out for the next 12 months and he is also off contract at the end of the year.

“Our concern is his welfare, he risked his NRL contract when he chose to play for PNG and the injury happened while he was wearing the Kumuls jersey,” PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka said in a statement. He said PNG as a nation, was obliged to show their appreciation and support for Baptiste at this difficult time in his career.

Enga governor Sir Peter Ipatas was the first to show his support for Baptiste with a donation of K10,000 that was presented to the PNGRFL executives at the Oil Search National Football Stadium yesterday.

“The welfare and needs of our athletes who represent and make sacrifices for PNG must be supported”, Sir Peter said.

“Let’s get behind this appeal and support Kurt.”

Donations are now open and will close on July 31.Donations can be made to the ‘Trust Account for Kurt Baptiste’ (No.7017301099) at the Bank South Pacific in Port Moresby.