What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

shewi6

Juniors
Still no other news sources about this that I can find and actually listening to the 'exclusive' doesn't reveal anything about a date or an announcement by any one in the government. All he talked about was china, china, china with football no where to be heard.

Smells of just a radio station trying to remain relevant and putting out clickbait to me.

With that said if a png team does get announced I still believe it will be a major disaster as well as a waste of money all while being severely detrimental to the nrl and other nrl team hopefuls.

The opportunity costs being wasted if it fails in that ten years are high and will bring big damage to the reputation of the game as a whole right as we are having our best period since the early 90's. It could destroy a lot of momentum.

But people don't seem to care because they just see 600M dollars as a big win even though that will probably be the bare minimum to make this thing a reality and wouldn't be enough to make it successful and sustainable IMO

Dragonwest

Juniors
I remember when I first raised the idea of a png nrl side a year ago Perth red laughed at me

along the way you had endless comments by canard and bukowksi saying png was a pipe dream

heck maximis went through the budget line by line and couldn’t find the allocation of 60 million pa towards the png nrl side

and yet here we are
Doesn't make it any more logical or viable past Albo's short term office.

Canard

Immortal
Still no other news sources about this that I can find and actually listening to the 'exclusive' doesn't reveal anything about a date or an announcement by any one in the government. All he talked about was china, china, china with football no where to be heard.

Smells of just a radio station trying to remain relevant and putting out clickbait to me.

With that said if a png team does get announced I still believe it will be a major disaster as well as a waste of money all while being severely detrimental to the nrl and other nrl team hopefuls.

The opportunity costs being wasted if it fails in that ten years are high and will bring big damage to the reputation of the game as a whole right as we are having our best period since the early 90's. It could destroy a lot of momentum.

But people don't seem to care because they just see 600M dollars as a big win even though that will probably be the bare minimum to make this thing a reality and wouldn't be enough to make it successful and sustainable IMO
This 1000%

Also as the clubs funding will go backwards once it fails as the free handout dries up.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Perth hasn’t been viable either but doesn’t stop you lot talking about them either
Ridiculous statement.

Perth needs up front investment from a cashed up State Government to create a CoE and stadium upgrades. The state Premier has shown an appetite to do so and it can be funded in one election cycle. After that how is it non viable?

PNG will need ongoing investment to:
1) pay for inflated player and staff salary required to relocate
2) Huge ongoing security and logistic costs at their "resort" residence to keep the club safe and happy.
3) How many pay TV subscriptions or how much game day revenue is going to be created in a third world country?

100% Reliant on ONGOING investment

Wb1234

Referee
well it will be interesting watching this train wreck of an idea unfold.
So salty!
Ridiculous statement.

Perth needs up front investment from a cashed up State Government to create a CoE and stadium upgrades. The state Premier has shown an appetite to do so and it can be funded in one election cycle. After that how is it non viable?

PNG will need ongoing investment to:
1) pay for inflated player and staff salary required to relocate
2) Huge ongoing security and logistic costs at their "resort" residence to keep the club safe and happy.
3) How many pay TV subscriptions or how much game day revenue is going to be created in a third world country?

100% Reliant on ONGOING investment
so png govt investment bad
Perth govt investment good

fmd hilarious stuff mate

Wb1234

Referee
Again one set of investment is up front ...
The second needs to be permanent ...

Can you distinguish between the two?
Keep it up mate this makes me giggle

no govt involvement no Perth team

nz2 gets the bid then Brisbane easts

so if png gets the 600 million upfront it’s ok ?
Lmao

Canard

Immortal
So salty!

so png govt investment bad
Perth govt investment good

fmd hilarious stuff mate
Australians investing in Australians is probably a bit beyond your intellectual capacity.
Keep it up mate this makes me giggle

no govt involvement no Perth team

nz2 gets the bid then Brisbane easts

so if png gets the 600 million upfront it’s ok ?
Lmao
Where is NZ2 getting its money from?

"Crowd funding"?

Most of the announcements about the "$600 million" figure have said that only half of that will be directed towards funding an NRL team. The rest will go on infrastructure and junior football, and other matters not NRL related.

shewi6

Juniors
Most of the announcements about the "$600 million" figure have said that only half of that will be directed towards funding an NRL team. The rest will go on infrastructure and junior football, and other matters not NRL related.
Yep exactly, and of that 300M that will support the actual club, 50M will be going to the nrl as a license fee so they can bribe the 17 clubs with a 2M payment to get them to agree with a png club.

Then if you take away 100M for the living compound (if that is included or seperate, who knows) your left with 15M a year of government support. Will they get the nrl grant? What about other revenue streams? Merchandise and ticketing will be low value in AUD as evidenced when they tried to sell tickets at a reasonable but high for png price to the pacific cup games and the crowds were low.
Sponsorships? Maybe some mining and oil and gas companies may chip in valuable sponsorships initially but filling out the rest of the portfolio will be difficult as you will be relying on small png companies to do that, there is no value for multinational/ large aus companies. So they won't get the same value as an average nrl club.

Then you have to factor in the exorbitant running costs associated with player living, game security and the extra travel cost's the nrl has to cover and that 300M doesn't look so significant anymore.

All before we get to the broadcaster's and what they would prefer. Extra costs to televise and for no extra viewers or advertising value in aus, you can kiss goodbye to a tv deal that rivals the afl.

Steel Saints

Juniors
A dark day for rugby league.

Tiktok and Muggers will be frothing but this is leagues GWS moment.
Sadly you might be right. The thing is, what is the plan after the ten year government handout?

Dolphins came into the comp on the back of a healthy asset base of around $100 million. To survive on their own, PNG need assets.

Canard

Immortal
Waiting for the outcry from the taxpayer drain that is the afl and their fans.
Thats the other issue, this is going to be electoral poison.

And no, just because we are Rugby League fans, doesn't mean we automatically support this.

Latest posts