What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Wb1234

Referee

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys is lobbying the Albanese government to give NRL players an irresistible reason to join a new franchise in Papua New Guinea – tax free status.

Fatima Kdouh and Peter Badel
February 21, 2024 - 4:03PM

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys says NRL stars willing to move to Papua New Guinea could ‘earn double’ the money as part of a plan to grant players tax-free status. V’landys revealed plans to lobby the Albanese government to green light the move as part of the governing body’s expansion strategy, which includes a proposed 18th team in the Pacific.

“One of the areas I will be approaching the government on is in order to make it attractive to go over there, we are going to ask the government that people be given tax-free status,” V’landys revealed. “If you’re going to go over there and work, to encourage you to go to Papua New Guinea, you should earn that money tax-free.”

The move would give NRL players a chance to really cash in on their market value, making Papua New Guinea an irresistible option for some of the game’s biggest stars. The NRL is pushing ahead with plans for expansion in either 2026 or 2027, with Papua New Guinea firming as the next franchise to join the competition.

Drawing from his experience as Racing NSW boss, V’landys believes a tax exemption would sweeten the deal for not only players but coaches and club administrative staff.

“One of the problems I have in racing is that in Hong Kong they have a 15 per cent tax base,” V’landys said. “So all staff in racing are attracted to go to Hong Kong because they are only paying 15 per cent."

“The wages are the same, but the tax rate is so different, they can go over there, spend three years there, and earn double what they would in Australia. “Hopefully, that will encourage our retired players, our officials, our coaches if our government allows us to have a tax free, or lower tax rate to encourage them to go to PNG, that will make the initiative much more successful.”

Last week, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese backed V’landys plans to expand the NRL to a 20-team competition.

The Albanese government has already declared it is prepared to commit $600 million to a team in the Pacific as part of a ‘soft diplomacy’ strategy into the region. Given the federal government’s vocal support, tax concessions for NRL players is a genuine possibility.

“I am very supportive of an 18th NRL team in PNG,“ said Albanese, who visited the White House with V’landys last year. “This is a game changer for the relationship with Papua New Guinea.”

After exploring the option of housing a new Pacific team in far north Queensland, the governing body now prefers to base the franchise in Papua New Guinea. V’landys said the latest outbreak of violence in the country, which left at least 50 people dead, would not deter the governing body from basing the new club in the troubled country.

“Papua New Guinea is not going to happen tomorrow, it’s going to happen in two or three years so hopefully the situation and the environment is going to change,” V’landys said.

“It’s certainly an option to house them in Papua New Guinea. A pretty high profile coach believes if you’re going to get the engagement in PNG you have to be based there. Justin Olam came out and said the same thing. It wasn’t just him (the coach) who said it. Some of the money can be spent on housing over there.”

The game’s broadcasters – Foxtel and Channel 9 – have thrown their support behind a campaign to bring back the North Sydney Bears as part of expansion plans. The push to revive the Bears has the backing of V’landys with the proposal to join the NRL to include the entire Pacific region, including New Zealand.

“My motto is to defy impossible. My attitude is never say never. People always underestimate but I’m determined to keep improving the game,” V’landys said. “My aim during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial. It has the potential to give us tens, if not hundreds, of millions. I would like to expand to a 20-team comp in the coming years.”
“V’landys said the latest outbreak of violence in the country, which left at least 50 people dead, would not deter the governing body from basing the new club in the troubled country.”

same old dopes were wrong again

Maximus

Coach
If they are based in PNG, they'd be paying tax in PNG, and even the people on minimum wage contracts would be paying the top marginal rate over there. The top marginal rate for a non-resident would result in more tax than they'd pay in Australia on the top marginal rate.

So he's going to go and ask the PNG govt to pass laws for rich people to pay no tax in a country that just had massive riots because $20 got withheld from their pay. Yeah I'm sure the public will be happy with that.

Brian potter

Bench
“V’landys said the latest outbreak of violence in the country, which left at least 50 people dead, would not deter the governing body from basing the new club in the troubled country.”

I could think of 600 million reasons why he said this.

TBF so do the Bears and I dont think many think they are realistically getting a license!
Yesterday you claimed the Brisbane Tigers bid is dead because the media hasn't spoken about it in the last six months.

Now you're saying bids that are spoken about every two minutes by the media have no hope of getting a licence?

Make up your mind!

V'landys and Albo must really hate Perth Red. It's as if their life mission is to send him crazy until he f**ks off back to England.

Wb1234

Referee

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys is lobbying the Albanese government to give NRL players an irresistible reason to join a new franchise in Papua New Guinea – tax free status.

Fatima Kdouh and Peter Badel
February 21, 2024 - 4:03PM

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys says NRL stars willing to move to Papua New Guinea could ‘earn double’ the money as part of a plan to grant players tax-free status. V’landys revealed plans to lobby the Albanese government to green light the move as part of the governing body’s expansion strategy, which includes a proposed 18th team in the Pacific.

“One of the areas I will be approaching the government on is in order to make it attractive to go over there, we are going to ask the government that people be given tax-free status,” V’landys revealed. “If you’re going to go over there and work, to encourage you to go to Papua New Guinea, you should earn that money tax-free.”

The move would give NRL players a chance to really cash in on their market value, making Papua New Guinea an irresistible option for some of the game’s biggest stars. The NRL is pushing ahead with plans for expansion in either 2026 or 2027, with Papua New Guinea firming as the next franchise to join the competition.

Drawing from his experience as Racing NSW boss, V’landys believes a tax exemption would sweeten the deal for not only players but coaches and club administrative staff.

“One of the problems I have in racing is that in Hong Kong they have a 15 per cent tax base,” V’landys said. “So all staff in racing are attracted to go to Hong Kong because they are only paying 15 per cent."

“The wages are the same, but the tax rate is so different, they can go over there, spend three years there, and earn double what they would in Australia. “Hopefully, that will encourage our retired players, our officials, our coaches if our government allows us to have a tax free, or lower tax rate to encourage them to go to PNG, that will make the initiative much more successful.”

Last week, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese backed V’landys plans to expand the NRL to a 20-team competition.

The Albanese government has already declared it is prepared to commit $600 million to a team in the Pacific as part of a ‘soft diplomacy’ strategy into the region. Given the federal government’s vocal support, tax concessions for NRL players is a genuine possibility.

“I am very supportive of an 18th NRL team in PNG,“ said Albanese, who visited the White House with V’landys last year. “This is a game changer for the relationship with Papua New Guinea.”

After exploring the option of housing a new Pacific team in far north Queensland, the governing body now prefers to base the franchise in Papua New Guinea. V’landys said the latest outbreak of violence in the country, which left at least 50 people dead, would not deter the governing body from basing the new club in the troubled country.

“Papua New Guinea is not going to happen tomorrow, it’s going to happen in two or three years so hopefully the situation and the environment is going to change,” V’landys said.

“It’s certainly an option to house them in Papua New Guinea. A pretty high profile coach believes if you’re going to get the engagement in PNG you have to be based there. Justin Olam came out and said the same thing. It wasn’t just him (the coach) who said it. Some of the money can be spent on housing over there.”

The game’s broadcasters – Foxtel and Channel 9 – have thrown their support behind a campaign to bring back the North Sydney Bears as part of expansion plans. The push to revive the Bears has the backing of V’landys with the proposal to join the NRL to include the entire Pacific region, including New Zealand.

“My motto is to defy impossible. My attitude is never say never. People always underestimate but I’m determined to keep improving the game,” V’landys said. “My aim during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial. It has the potential to give us tens, if not hundreds, of millions. I would like to expand to a 20-team comp in the coming years.”
“The game’s broadcasters – Foxtel and Channel 9 – have thrown their support behind a campaign to bring back the North Sydney Bears as part of expansion plans. The push to revive the Bears has the backing of V’landys with the proposal to join the NRL to include the entire Pacific region, including New Zealand.”

Wb1234

Referee
TBF so do the Bears and I dont think many think they are realistically getting a license!

final say

Juniors
Pure desperation

final say

Juniors
Why would "the entire Pacific region including NZ" support a side that plays 1 or 2 games a season in their country, but demands 4 games in Sydney.
At this point it's hard to maintain any respect for the Bears or wish them well.
The moment PVL suggested a Bears team, they immediately went to their list of demands..
They are both beggars and choosers.

The only way the Bears work is if they're based permanently in Gosford as the Central Coast Bears.

Haha, f**k me.

The worst cost of living crisis since the Great Depression and this dickhead thinks we should grant millionaires tax free status.

That will be a real vote winner.
The loss of tax revenue would be to the PNG government.
Aus government would indirectly underwrite alot of this though.
I might be the minority but there is merit. For example, if I was asked to relocate to Port Moresby away from the lifestyle of Australia, I would want at least 10x my current salary. NRL players getting 2x post tax cash would not be enough to see any significant players move there

Canard

Immortal
The loss of tax revenue would be to the PNG government.
Aus government would indirectly underwrite alot of this though.
I might be the minority but there is merit. For example, if I was asked to relocate to Port Moresby away from the lifestyle of Australia, I would want at least 10x my current salary. NRL players getting 2x post tax cash would not be enough to see any significant players move there
I know you would, who wouldn't?

But why the f**k should you?

You should punch yourself in the dick for thinking it's a good idea.

Latest posts