What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Maximus

Coach
If it's based in Cairns, PVL's brain fart about tax free status is guaranteed to not happen. If Albo ignored legal advice and pushed it through anyway, it'd be overturned by the high court within a couple of years. It'd be clearly discriminatory against every other worker in Australia.

Canard

Immortal
If it's based in Cairns, PVL's brain fart about tax free status is guaranteed to not happen. If Albo ignored legal advice and pushed it through anyway, it'd be overturned by the high court within a couple of years. It'd be clearly discriminatory against every other worker in Australia.
No PM would agree to have Australian workers tax exempt, particularly during the worst cost of living crisis in our lifetime's.

It would be political suicide.

MugaB

Coach
No PM would agree to have Australian workers tax exempt, particularly during the worst cost of living crisis in our lifetime's.

It would be political suicide.
Correct but it also depends on what they are paying the players with, if they are set up in Port Moresby youd think the marquee signings living in port moresby are getting paid in Kina, (obviously of the equivalent of whatever the aus price would be for that player)
So it would be the PNG govt giving out the tax free status, not the Australian govt, so talking to albo wont amount to anything there, its Marape who would decide that, and no other NRL club could really whinge about that, coz they aren't based in PNG

MugaB

Coach
Hmmm... that's not ideal is it, especially if the code is trying to attract new eyeballs in the US.

So if a Cairns based PNG team is #18, would a new/upgraded stadium be a pre-requisite?

If so - will the cost and time needed to build/upgrade impact the bid?
Nope the bid has always been about playing the bulk of home games in Port Moresbys Santos stadium,
The Cairns aspect is purely for a training facility away from the country and housing to be safer for the team and families who join up, its a bit like Dragons training and based in Wollongong, but playing all games in kogarah, it actually probably closer in line with the dolphins using Suncorp, but living in redcliffe

Nope the bid has always been about playing the bulk of home games in Port Moresbys Santos stadium,
The Cairns aspect is purely for a training facility away from the country and housing to be safer for the team and families who join up, its a bit like Dragons training and based in Wollongong, but playing all games in kogarah, it actually probably closer in line with the dolphins using Suncorp, but living in redcliffe
Ah ok, understood. So its FIFO for footy players, but more "out" than "in".

But still... feels like a complex solution to a politically motivated problem.

MugaB

Coach
Ah ok, understood. So its FIFO for footy players, but more "out" than "in".

But still... feels like a complex solution to a politically motivated problem.
Not really, its a safer area in cairns than port moresby, but the team will only exit if its representative of being that PNG team, they should have stuck to being a pasifika team, then they wouldnt really have to explain why Cairns is the base for a foreign png team... a bit like the Moana Pacifika in Super Rugby in Auckland, i mean why there? anyways, eventually theyll be based in PNG, but for its inception and to draw player power, an Australian base is safer for all involved

Canard

Immortal
Hmmm... that's not ideal is it, especially if the code is trying to attract new eyeballs in the US.

So if a Cairns based PNG team is #18, would a new/upgraded stadium be a pre-requisite?

If so - will the cost and time needed to build/upgrade impact the bid?
Given the QLD Govt is baulking at building an venue for the Olympics.

A stadium for a team representing another country is completely off the table.

MugaB

Coach
Given the QLD Govt is baulking at building an venue for the Olympics.

A stadium for a team representing another country is completely off the table.
You are talking about the overblown Gabba restoration plus Precinct then yeah fk that idea,what a waste of money for cricket/Afl to prosper,not really the Olympics, they are better off rebuilding the QSAC

Marlins

Juniors
If the US, PNG, and AUS gov’s are backing it, it’ll probably happen.
Maybe base them in PNG and play ten games there and two at NSO. PNG Bears.
At least we won’t have to listen to a bears expansion plan again.

Not really, its a safer area in cairns than port moresby, but the team will only exit if its representative of being that PNG team, they should have stuck to being a pasifika team, then they wouldnt really have to explain why Cairns is the base for a foreign png team... a bit like the Moana Pacifika in Super Rugby in Auckland, i mean why there? anyways, eventually theyll be based in PNG, but for its inception and to draw player power, an Australian base is safer for all involved
Yea I understand safety bit and that makes sense.

When I say politically motivated, I mean the idea of a PNG expansion team to begin with.

It seems (from what I can tell anyway) the biggest proponent of the idea is the Australian govt. for regional security reasons, and because they're willing to tip a shit ton of money in, that's making it attractive for the NRL. Is that the gist of it?

MugaB

Coach
Yea I understand safety bit and that makes sense.

When I say politically motivated, I mean the idea of a PNG expansion team to begin with.

It seems (from what I can tell anyway) the biggest proponent of the idea is the Australian govt. for regional security reasons, and because they're willing to tip a shit ton of money in, that's making it attractive for the NRL. Is that the gist of it?
The money yes, but you cannot doubt their love for our game, and the fact they play it religiously, there is no one more deserving than them to get given a licence, the fact that they are a poor 3rd world country shouldn't come into it, but professional sports dictate you should be able to stand on your own two feet, even though our current system pays overs on grant to keep all clubs viable, (even those that were constantly in the red) I dont see why we shouldn't try, and if those govts are willing to throw money at our game, then so be it, i don't think anyone should refuse it considering they are helping a focal point for the country to back as a sporting club that they are represented by, imagine the money saved by the NRL to put towards other assets or junior pathways somewhere else for the 19th or 20th, considering that this one is already paid for

Canard

Immortal
The money yes, but you cannot doubt their love for our game, and the fact they play it religiously, there is no one more deserving than them to get given a licence, the fact that they are a poor 3rd world country shouldn't come into it, but professional sports dictate you should be able to stand on your own two feet, even though our current system pays overs on grant to keep all clubs viable, (even those that were constantly in the red) I dont see why we shouldn't try, and if those govts are willing to throw money at our game, then so be it, i don't think anyone should refuse it considering they are helping a focal point for the country to back as a sporting club that they are represented by, imagine the money saved by the NRL to put towards other assets or junior pathways somewhere else for the 19th or 20th, considering that this one is already paid for
Can you explain why?

MugaB

Coach
Can you explain why?
What! why they are a 3rd world country? Fmd..
no one has tried to even help them other than throwing money at them... even this is NRL or govts throwing a club at them at no expense, I'm sure they"d be too proud to except a gift like an NRL grant/club, but it can turn the mindset in the country into a more positive nature, believing in one cause, uniting for one purpose at a weekly event, aspirations for kids to see their favourite NRL stars not just the ones representing PNG, im sure the hunters were favoured when they came in, but they know its a 2nd teir club, it's not the NRL, you see the difference in PNG when the clubs come or the kangaroos PM 13, they are like rock stars, if you not gonna help or promote this and sit there and bitchpost every half hour about this bid, then go do something else more valuable with your time, coz you really are wasting it, trying to tell PVL its a shit idea, and he's gonna double down it, till everyone applauds it, just like the Everest, and just like Vegas

Canard

Immortal
What! why they are a 3rd world country? Fmd..
I read your post as saying "it shouldn't matter that they are a third world country" when considering them for an NRL franchise.

If this is your view, my question is why do you believe this to be the case?

You or any other online poster isn't going to make a lick of difference in whether we "promote" them or not.

Pointing out genuine concerns about logistics, travel, player safety, financial sustainability, stadiums and player depth shouldn't worry if you think its all sorted.