What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth govt help for a Perth nrl team of 400 to 500 million = good thing for rugby league

Fed govt help for a png nrl team of 600 million = not such a good thing
Hmmm state govt spends money in its state to benefit the state.
Australian Govt gives Australian money away to another country to turn back the imaginary tide of communism.
Yeh they are exactly the same thing lol

Wb1234

Referee
Australian Govt gives Australian money away to another country to turn back the imaginary tide of communism.
As rugby league fans we should welcome significant govt funding for our sport

Perth Red

Post Whore
As rugby league fans we should welcome significant govt funding for our sport
As a RL fan I do, as a tax payer and someone who wants to see foreign aid actually aid a country I'm less enamored by the proposal. Throw in the stupidity of the motivation being to somehow stop Chinese influence in the region and it takes on a certain level of absurdity.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Im not losing sleep either way re PNG‘s NRL team …but to say that China’s increasing influence in the Pacific is “imaginary” is pretty ignorant

Wb1234

Referee
As a RL fan I do, as a tax payer and someone who wants to see foreign aid actually aid a country I'm less enamored by the proposal. Throw in the stupidity of the motivation being to somehow stop Chinese influence in the region and it takes on a certain level of absurdity.
Well you need to find a forum for Aussie taxpayers

this is a rugby league forum

without govt involvement Perth doesn’t get a team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im not losing sleep either way re PNG‘s NRL team …but to say that China’s increasing influence in the Pacific is “imaginary” is pretty ignorant
Do you feel any less safe because of the $6billion china has thrown at the pacific islands in the last 20 years?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well you need to find a forum for Aussie taxpayers

this is a rugby league forum

without govt involvement Perth doesn’t get a team
Again you are likening two different scenarios in a very strawman way. One is supporting sport in its own constituency, the other is throwing Australian money at another country.
And as I have said before if it is $500mill to sort our homelessness or youth suicide in WA, or an NRL team I'm voting for the former every time, even as a life long RL fan.
NRL is fundamentally a profit making business. If Govts should be propping it up is very questionable at the professional level.

Wb1234

Referee
Again you are likening two different scenarios in a very strawman way.
And as I have said before if it is $500mill to sort our homelessness or youth suicide in WA, or an NRL team I'm voting for the former every time, even as a life long RL fan.
NRL is fundamentally a profit making business. If Govts should be propping it up is very questionable at the professional level.
So the wa govt shouldn’t have spent a cent on the nrl team and instead put it into local social causes

so you don’t deserve an nrl team lol

govts prop up pro sports all the time

eh who helped fund Wembley or the nfl stadiums ?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Do you feel any less safe because of the $6billion china has thrown at the pacific islands in the last 20 years?

Well… I’m not gunna lose sleep about it …

These guys are making decisions that are probably going to have implications 30-40 years down the track …

I doubt either of us will still be posting here then…

Perth Red

Post Whore
So the wa govt shouldn’t have spent a cent on the nrl team and instead put it into local social causes

so you don’t deserve an nrl team lol
It is highly questionable from a public spend point of view, and as a socially minded person yep Id rather see the money going to sort out serious social issues. But hey its Govt and its nothing new to feed the public distraction.

deserve? an interesting asseveration.

Wb1234

Referee
It is highly questionable from a public spend point of view, and as a socially minded person yep Id rather see the money going to sort out serious social issues. But hey its Govt and its nothing new to feed the public distraction.

deserve? an interesting asseveration.
Wait till you find out the Aussie govt gives png foreign aid of approx 500 million every year

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wait till you find out the Aussie govt gives png foreign aid of approx 500 million every year
yep, $4.5bil dished out a year in foreign aid. I would love to see what RoI that has made to those countries, or if most of it is just scammed off to things that make little difference to the people.

PNG must have had many billions off us by now yet still dont have national running water, a decent police and justice system, decent educational system or a stable electricity supply in a lot of places. Sounds like a good investment to date of our money!

Wb1234

Referee
yep, $4.5bil dished out a year in foreign aid. I would love to see what RoI that has made to those countries, or if most of it is just scammed off to things that make little difference to the people.

PNG must have had many billions off us by now yet still dont have national running water, a decent police and justice system, decent educational system or a stable electricity supply in a lot of places. Sounds like a good investment to date of our money!
Unlike England which raped its former colonies for resources without reparations Australia feels obligated to look after its former colony

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unlike England which raped its former colonies for resources without reparations Australia feels obligated to look after its former colony
Got to keep them nasty reds off the beaches eh? :)
GB is just as adept at pssing money away as we are, $22bill last year on foreign aid.

Wb1234

Referee
Got to keep them nasty reds off the beaches eh? :)
GB is just as adept at pssing money away as we are, $22bill last year on foreign aid.
Egypt is still waiting for the return of the Rosetta Stone

India wants the noor diamond back. The one in the kings crown lol