What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Point Scoring Explosion

kurt faulk

Coach

ever wondered why there has been a points explosion this year? well check this out.

Quick check of Pro-Football-Reference.com shows the following for Offensive holding calls/game
2018 - 1.36
2017 - 2.59
2016 - 2.75
2015 - 2.77

offensive holding calls are down 50% from just three years ago. and that's with offenses throwing much more now than that time.even from last season to this season is a dramatic drop. hell, it's almost 50%.

and most of them would be on running plays. the officials seem to have been given a directive not to call offensive holding on pass plays. it drives me nuts how much holding i see against the rams dline without getting a call. i see it in other games as well.

don't get me started on dpi and opi either. makes me sick how they allow wrs to push off all the time.

the nfl is determined to make qbs as comfortable as possible back there. i can't f**king stand it. they are deadset ruining the game. people love seeing the defense make plays as well. this is football, not basketball. they don't need to score every time they touch the ball. morons.

nick87

Coach
The refs always miss holding
As they say, holding is something you could call on every snap if you wanted to

I think the decrease is due more to the offensive style change, there is just a lot more quick game stuff, offensive football is taking over and guys are being schemed open

You don’t need to hold when it’s a 3 step drop and out to an open wr, or it’s a quick slant, or a screen, also the proliferation of mobile qbs and getting those guys out on boots and moving the pocket

I think that all makes way more sense than some edict from the top to stop calling holding

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Interesting does it equate on the scoreboard?

Were more points scored overall each year too?

zombie jesus

Staff member
Interesting does it equate on the scoreboard?

Were more points scored overall each year too?
Average score per team so far this year is 24.1, but my guess is the number will get brought down through December with shitty weather games.
2017 - 21.7
2016 - 22.7
2015 - 22.8
2014 - 22.6
2013 - 23.4
Between 2000-2012 it hovers around the 20-22 mark.

Parity between teams and within games is at an all-time high too.

nick87

Coach
Yep agreed. I miss defense.

I dont think defence is going anywhere, we're just seeing an explosion of offensive innovation in the game right now and the defence cant keep up
At some point probably in 2-3 years time, someone is going to figure out the next defensive innovation and we'll see another period dominated by it, as we have with Seattle recently.

Swings and around abouts.

What wont be coming back though is having WRs getting lit up by DBs, and they'll continue to increase protections for the QB.
The CTE shit is real and players/coaches need to adjust their tackling styles, and schemes accordingly. No point playing a deep safety trying to intimidate the middle, Kam Chancellor is the last of his kind. And im ok with that, instead of that, you just need to protect the middle with smart instinctive LBs and S's who can cover.

And QB's are quite simply too important to the business of football. No fan wants to watch their teams play without their QB, no player wants to see a season go down the drain due to a qb injury, no coach or owner want to have their 30m face of the franchise out, and the league and broadcasters have NO interest in seeing that happen too... there is just no appetite to go in the other direction and that does suck a bit but i can understand it