What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pokemon Sun and Moon

Parra Pride

Coach
[youtube]Kn25hijDL7c[/youtube]

Out 18th of November. I know I'm not the only here who will happily be letting their inner child out once again to enjoy some Pokemon.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Nuts to that. I've never played Pokemon but there's nothing like a healthy dose of nostalgia. I like that about Nintendos.

betcats

Referee
My and the boys still bust out the old Mario kart and super smash brothers on Nintendo 64 sometimes.

Big Pete

Referee
In terms of JRPGs, Pokemon remains one of the more consistent and palatable of the genre. Each game is jam-packed with modes, providing players with hundreds of hours of replayability if they wish to explore every nook and cranny the game has to offer. While the franchise is geared towards a younger audience, the gameplay is surprisingly in-depth, requiring complex strategy that wouldn't look out of place on a chess board.

So yes, I'll be picking these games up in November. :lol:

So far, it really does look like just another game in the franchise. So far we know there will be grass, fire and water starter Pokemon and each game will have it's own exclusive legendary. That's been an established trope since Gold and Silver, so it's nothing new. The only point of difference appears to be the region, Alola, which is obviously inspired by Hawaii. I'm looking forward to exploring that world, my only concern is that it maybe too similar to Ruby and Sapphire, which we've only just returned from. As long as they keep the surfing sections to a minimum, I'll be content and I'm sure I'll appreciate the ambience.

As far as features, I'd like to see the game include more post-game content. One of the biggest problems with the series is that there's little to motivate the player to continue playing once the main quest is over. Sure, each game has a ton of content, but there's little motivation for casual players to keep playing. What I would like is an entire post-game league mode, similar to the old Stadium games from the N64 where you gain cool extras for clearing a cup. I also think Nintendo would make a killing if they released DLC that allowed you to catch 2-3 legendary monsters.

Parra Pride

Coach
Black and White were probably the low point in the series as a whole, but they had quite a bit of post game content to go through. The Delta Episode in ORAS was good too, so definitely more content in the same vein as that would be a nice touch. Hopefully they build on top of the Eion Flute that was inORAS as well, and provide ways to use the other HMs without having to sacrifice any move slots on Pokemon in your party, as most of the HM moves are rather weak.

Parra Pride

Coach
Gold and Silver were much better than the original games though, as were the Gen 6 games. If anything was going to kill Pokemon, it would've been Gen 5 but we got through that just fine.

Parra Pride

Coach
I just remember a lot of people at the time of release not being happy with the fact that none of the previous four or five hundred Pokemon would be featured in the game, of course they fixed that up with Black and White 2. Personally, they are my least favourite games in the main series so far. Probably a bit harsh to say if anything was going to kill off the Pokemon game it would be that generation, but I do believe it was the closest anything has come to this point, even if the series was still for from dead.

Big Pete

Referee
Pokemon died once Yellow came out

Can actually see this argument tbf.

Vets of the series will tell you that the original generation aged like milk. The AI was horrid, the mechanics were utterly broken and given it's an 8-bit game it's obviously archaic in parts...

But it defined the series and feels less rigid.

Where as the series is filled with heavy-handed tutorials and a stream-lined adventure, the original generation gave players room to explore. There was something charming about the minimalist style and the games weren't overly concerned about balancing monsters. If you wanted to curb-stomp the game with Psychics, Tauros or Persian you could.

What really set them apart were the ridiculous glitches. Normally they're issues but here they were so unbelievable and so easy to access it gave the game extra word of mouth. I don't know anybody who didn't exploit the Missingno glitch. Even now speedrunners have found ways to beat the game in seconds or even catch a wild Mew.

Big Pete

Referee
I just remember a lot of people at the time of release not being happy with the fact that none of the previous four or five hundred Pokemon would be featured in the game, of course they fixed that up with Black and White 2. Personally, they are my least favourite games in the main series so far. Probably a bit harsh to say if anything was going to kill off the Pokemon game it would be that generation, but I do believe it was the closest anything has come to this point, even if the series was still for from dead.

I thought you were referring to the limited time-span. I believe it had the shortest time-span of any generation in the series, lasting only two years compared to the average three. Plus, it was the first generation not to include a console tie-in game and remake iteration. Plus releasing it on the Nintendo DS made it feel less significant compared to other generations (only Gold and Silver share that distinction and it wasn't promoted as a series revival).

I remember those complaints, but I don't recall it being as prominent. I suppose when you're on that side of the fence, it can seem that way, but I remember it being more hardcore friendly. The generation seemed to pander more to the veterans of the series who were sick of battling Zubats, Geodudes etc. all the time and wanted a change of pace.

I can't really speak on behalf a bunch of communities because it varies from place to place. So speaking from my own experience, I remember enjoying the more thematically rich story, the US inspired location, the way HM puzzles were implemented and the reusable TMs. A lot of the new monsters were fun to use and they finally made some use of some items (why wasn't Lucky Egg a staple from Generation II?!).

Then the sequels came along and from the outset announced themselves as the best Yellow, Crystal, Emerald etc. version of the lot. New story, new locations, more monsters, more post-game, more side-quests, new gyms etc. It was fun and it seemed to be a lot more challenging. The only downside was the implementation of hard mode and how counter-intuitive that was.

As far as what could kill the series - Gen III faced some tough challenges. It hit the reset switch on the entire series, on one of the least successful handheld systems, after the series had worn out it's welcome as a fad. A lot of people clocked out around this time, but it found it's new audience and was able to grow from there.

Low point personally is Diamond and Pearl. I enjoyed them initially but when I went back to play them before Black and White, I realised how slow and cumbersome everything felt. Performance wise, there seemed to be a lag to everything the game had to offer and the adventure itself was forgettable with a lot of monsters hidden away until late in the game. It's a shame because online, the physical/special split and DS features made the games so good but the system couldn't handle them. Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Platinum redeemed the generation.

Parra Pride

Coach
The time spans between games is definitely getting a lot shorter, the remakes gave us a little extra time with Gen 6, but they completely skipped out the third (and fourth in the case of Gen 5) title here. It honestly feels like only yesterday I was playing Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and we could realistically be staring down the barrel of remakes of those in the not too distant future.

One thing I wasn't a big fan of in Black and White was that to actually beat the Champion was a bit of a grind, as I remember the whole Elite 4 just being much higher leveled than I was after finishing off the story which already had you beat them once and then had your Champion battle interrupted. It didn't help that they implemented scaling XP based on your level compared to the Pokemon you defeat, instead of just a set base XP amount that increases with the level of the defeated Pokemon. I guess this would also tie into your point about pandering to a more hardcore player base, but it was still a little excessive. They went the complete opposite direction in XY and ORAS, making the XP share cover your entire team made the leveling way too easy and the Elite four and Champion battles ended up being a cake walk. All they really need to do there is revert the XP share back to it's original way of working.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Unova region either, absolutely loved Kalos though. Alola looks to be all bright, sunny and tropical, which is right up my alley as well.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
One thing I wasn't a big fan of in Black and White was that to actually beat the Champion was a bit of a grind, as I remember the whole Elite 4 just being much higher leveled than I was after finishing off the story which already had you beat them once and then had your Champion battle interrupted.

Hmm, I don't recall this. It sounds like you triggered the rematches, which you shouldn't take on until you complete all of the post-game stuff. During the actual story mode itself, the B&W E4 were actually low leveled, around Lvl 50 if Serebii is to be believed. In comparison, Cynthia had Lvl 60s in Diamond and Pearl. The gulf between gyms and E4 was also greater in Diamond and Pearl as well.

I found the lucky egg item off-set the EXP scaling system. Plus, that system came in handy if you wanted to switch a few specific Pokemon into the team. Typically I'm lucky if I've got three viable monsters for the E4 - in Black my whole team was prepared.

I agree that the previous generation was a cakewalk. I took advantage of that system by carrying a squad of Pokemon, so by the end of it, I had about 12 different monsters that could have participated in the E4. It made collecting different monsters and attempting different strategies more viable, where as in the past I'd just bring in sweepers and hope for the type advantage.

Parra Pride

Coach
That's what I'm referring to, the first time around you fight the Elite Four and they are all around the level of your Pokemon if you've trained efficiently, and then before challenging the Champion you get interrupted by Team Plasma and go finish off the story line there. Then when you actually come back to be able to challenge the Champion, they are all level up in the seventies. From what I recall of the post game in Black and White, getting to those seventies in order actually become the Champion was a massive grind. Even with the easier training of Gen six my team has never been that high come Champion battle time. I get that it's meant to be a post game thing, but I still feel they jacked up their levels a little too high.

Frederick

Staff member
13179463_825906874179821_4880365939060395739_n.jpg

Cult03

Juniors
Does anyone have the older games and are willing to part with some of their Pokemon because they don't play often? I have 24 left to catch and I will have everything. Giratina, Registeel, Groudon, Mew, Palkia, Arceus, Kyogre, Uxie, Yveltal, Dialga, Hitmontop, Unown, Volcanion, Azelf, Shaymin, Landorus, Keldeo, Diancie, Tapu Lele, Hoopa, Latias, Regice and Suicune are the ones I need.