What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pokerstars shut down by FBI

LeagueNut

First Grade
Will this have any impact on the Sharks sleeve sponsorship? I don't know the ins and outs of it, they might be completely separate from this for all I know. I guess they aren't really in the position to lose sponsors at the moment though.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mon...oker-sites-indicted-and-shut-down-by-fbi.html

The founders of the three largest online poker sites were indicted on Friday in what could serve as a death blow to a thriving industry.

Eleven executives at PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, Absolute Poker and a number of their affiliates were charged with bank fraud and money laundering in an indictment unsealed in a Manhattan court. Two of the defendants were arrested on Friday morning in Utah and Nevada. Federal agents are searching for the others.

Prosecutors are seeking to immediately shut down the sites and to eventually send the executives to jail and to recover $3 billion from the companies. By Friday afternoon Full Tilt Poker’s site displayed a message explaining that “this domain name has been seized by the F.B.I. pursuant to an Arrest Warrant.”

The online gambling industry has taken off over the last decade, drawing an estimated 15 million Americans to bet online.

In 2006 Congress passed a law curtailing online gambling. Most of the leading sites found ways to work around the law, but prosecutors allege that in doing so they broke the law.

“These defendants concocted an elaborate criminal fraud scheme, alternately tricking some U.S. banks and effectively bribing others to assure the continued flow of billions in illegal gambling profits,” Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney in Manhattan, said in a statement.

Floods

Juniors
Its only shut down for U.S based players at the moment. Can still get on from here.

watatank

Coach
correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's seperate... the poker site that sponsor the Sharks are pokerstars.net where you can just play poker for free as opposed to pokerstars.com where you can use cash. not sure if this ban applies for both

a similar deal happens at the roosters (or did) where they are sponsored by a similar site made by fulltilt

Floods

Juniors
Yes you are right it is .net they are sponsored by which hasn't been touched.

Pokerstars.com has changed to pokerstars.eu now also.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Looks like nothing can go right for the Sharks, firstly it was the re-development of Toyota Park surrounds and now this. Not a major blow, but at least it they season started well to the most part.