What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll: Hussey v Bevan

Who is the better batsman?

• Hussey

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Bevan

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Can't split 'em

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

lockyno1

Post Whore
Balmain_Boy said:
Where once 220 was considered a good score, 270+ seems the norm these days.

Which is the primary reason Bevan was dropped. His form fell away when he had to score quicker. Bevan was good, but Hussey is much better as he is explosive! Would you ever see Bevan get 40 off 15 balls? Well Hussey has done that a few times!

Red Bear

Referee
Beven was a gun, altho i'd say him n hussey are different players. Bevens almost more similar to Clarke in the waythey play ODI matches, not the flashiest but keeps on pushing the score up, while hussey generally hits more boundries etc. Still, i'd take both in my teamif possible

Gilchrist
M Waugh
Ponting
Clarke
S Waugh
Beven
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Reifell
Mcgrath

Batting order could easily change but thats pretty much it

skeepe

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Which is the primary reason Bevan was dropped. His form fell away when he had to score quicker.

Rubbish. He was dropped because the selectors wanted to bring some younger players into the team.

Bevan was good, but Hussey is much better as he is explosive! Would you ever see Bevan get 40 off 15 balls? Well Hussey has done that a few times!

By that logic, Symonds and White are better than Bevan as well, to name but a few.

Hussey is a great player, but nowhere near the calibre of Bevan yet.

willvillain

Juniors
They played in different eras of One Day cricket. A lot of the reason for the big difference in eras actually comes down to Bevan as well I believe, his way of continuing to keep the run rate up through the middle overs (coupled with the Sri Lankan method of demolishing attacks in the opening 15) was a major reason why scores went from 200ish to 250ish to 280ish.

I still believe you can't split them. As has already been said, at this stage of his career it would look like Hussey is more likely to set a big target, but I'd rather have Bevan be the man at the crease if we were chasing one - wouldn't hurt to have Hussey at the other end mind you!

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
waltzing Meninga said:
Its a no brainer. Hussey is 10 times the player Bevan ever was.

The amount of times we batted first and our innings would stall as soon as Bevan came to the crease to protect his average was ridiculous.

Hussey has a far better technique and has a proven record at test level. Something Bevan could never do

Spot on.. Bevan battered at the easisest time of the innings when the field was spread and just took zero chances by scoring singles.. Hussey takes risks and is not afraid to chance his arm. I can't believe people can even compare the 2..

The ironic thing is that Bevan started out in State cricket as a cavalier batsmen, Balmain Boy would know this, who would swat bowlers to all parts of the ground. As he got older this changed. Bevan coming in would be like applying the hand brake and he often put pressure on his batting partners by scoring slowly.

I think it is entirely unfair to Hussey to compare him to Bevan..

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'll go with Bevo for now. Hussey is good but he can he do this?

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard_ODI.asp?MatchCode=1884

Having said that Hussey is the better man in the last 10 overs when setting a target. But for me Hussey has to sustain his currents efforts over a longer period of time because although he's a great player ive never seen a luckier one lately. His not out vs England when he hit the cover off of it...the other night vs NZ when he should have been easily run out. Instead of talking about his heroics people could have been talking about Eng/NZ victories.

Having said that though he has proved himself to be a quality batsmen aside from the odd lucky instance but as of now i would still take Bevo. Id like to see Hussey against some top quality, lightning quick fast bowling and against Murali to change my mind because instead of Ambrose/Walsh hes been facing Bradshaw and Powell, instead of Younis/Akram hes been facing Sami and Rana, instead of Donald...

Kiwi

First Grade
To early to say. If Hussey has played 200+ games and still has a strong record then it's time to compare.

Currently Bond is the best ODI pace bowler in the world IMO, but to compare him with someone like McGrath career wise would be stupid. And if I did compare aussie fans would be saying come back and compare when bond has played as long ect. Same applies here.

PARANoIR

Bench
Can't split them at this stage, purely because Hussey has only played 50 odd matches. Ask me when he plays 200, then it'll be a fairer assessment.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:
I'll go with Bevo for now. Hussey is good but he can he do this?

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard_ODI.asp?MatchCode=1884

Having said that Hussey is the better man in the last 10 overs when setting a target. But for me Hussey has to sustain his currents efforts over a longer period of time because although he's a great player ive never seen a luckier one lately. His not out vs England when he hit the cover off of it...the other night vs NZ when he should have been easily run out. Instead of talking about his heroics people could have been talking about Eng/NZ victories.

Granted he nicked it the other night, albeit a feather touch and NZ stuffed a runout.. You have never seen a luckier player than Hussey of late.. Drawing a long bow.. Noticed your visits to the wall were scarce after the Pom's gutless efforts of late in the Ashes.. I don't think a worse English team has ever toured our shores nor seen a worse captain than you currently have. Of course though you are specials in the next Ashes series.

bevan vs hussey

batting- tied
hussey more runs, boundaries. bevan good numbers against way better bowling

bowling- bevan
huss dosnt bowl from what ive seen. bevo a useful chinamen bowler.

fielding- tied
bevan lightning quick. pretty good arm. hussey great arm, catching skills

nickname- hussey
mr cricket..enough said.

still cant split em

Tommy Smith

Referee
Cockadoodledoo said:
Granted he nicked it the other night, albeit a feather touch and NZ stuffed a runout.. You have never seen a luckier player than Hussey of late.. Drawing a long bow.. Noticed your visits to the wall were scarce after the Pom's gutless efforts of late in the Ashes.. I don't think a worse English team has ever toured our shores nor seen a worse captain than you currently have. Of course though you are specials in the next Ashes series.
Was that supposed to hurt my feelings? England have been attrocious...ive copped that on the chin and moved on. But more importantly what does that have to do with the current topic? I just find it odd how some of you Aussies feel the need to bring up the Ashes at any obscure moment possible. Its just really odd...

You're only telling me what i already know...our performances have been pathetic...our captain was very poor and there have been few English teams worse than this one to tour Aus. I know all that. So its just kind of odd how you're saying it to me as if its an insult.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Tommy Smith said:
I just find it odd how some of you Aussies feel the need to bring up the Ashes at any obscure moment possible. Its just really odd...

the same way many bring up our odi loss to the bangers tommy ;-)

Latest posts