What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Planning and Timing

Pigskin

Juniors
Couldn't Origin have been scheduled so it doesn't clash with the World Cup ? The World Cup only goes for a month. No reason why Origin couldn't have been played a bit later this year or play game 1 a little later and game 2 when its done and dusted ... the ARL/NRL just had its head in the sand when the scheduling was done on this issue

I'm no huge soccer fan, but its the biggest sporting event on earth and sports lovers like myself forget about the usual faire ... surely interest and media coverage is at an all-time low.

I have no doubt there will be a goose or two that will proclaim, "I don't care about the World Cup" ... but you are part of a minority

Will be very interesting to see TV ratings for tonights Australia vs Japan match vs Origin 2 ... nationally i suspect it will be a landslide victory to soccer and wouldn't surprise to see soccer score a rare victory in RL heartland

Oink !

Angry_eel

First Grade
If you have league as a side or bonus sport then Origin isn't for you anyway. if you enjoy soccer more then go to that. Who's stopping ya. Meanwhile all the league lovers would still go to the Origin game.

jc155776

Coach
I kinda understand as per media coverage. BUT the world cup games are not until 11pm at night. Maybe if the times clashed then change it up somehow but other than that it is alright. Sports lovers paradise this week with the Sharks on saturday up here, union yesterday, soccer tonight and origin wednesday!

The Jap v Aus game wont win the ratings due to the horible time, will stick it to them but. Its not a contest but anyway so not a big deal...

Pigskin

Juniors
go to Fox Sports website and find a reference to Origin on the front page ... look closely ... oh there isn't one ... 2 days out from Origin

watch the sports report on any nightly news ... Origin is well down in the pecking order

sure the A-League doesn't threaten RL at this point ... but poor scheduling is certainly giving the round ball game a nice leg up ... smack bang in the middle of Origin period

I'm a RL man, and will be forever more ... but it is not only my right but my responsibility to question why our games leaders lacked the foresight in this instance to allow many goals to be scored ... by the opposition

Oink !

willvillain

Juniors
Are you talking about foxsports.com.au?

If so, there are two Origin articles up on the front page. One on Luke Bailey (below the "top stories") and then a story on Lillyman in the league section further down the page.

I mean, that hardly disproves your point, but it isn't like I had to look too carefully to prove that there are Origin references there (if you are indeed talking about the news page, otherwise I apologise).

lockyno1

Post Whore
Huh...I really could only care less about the Australian soccer games and England to a certain extent! Apart from that SOO is my game and most Australians will know its here! Soccer had celebrations to a 0-0 draw FFS the other day!:lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
Pigskin said:
Will be very interesting to see TV ratings for tonights Australia vs Japan match vs Origin 2 ... nationally i suspect it will be a landslide victory to soccer and wouldn't surprise to see soccer score a rare victory in RL heartland

Oink !

Your kidding me. RL will be played prime time 730-1000. Soccer was played at 11pm.
As for poor timing, why should league change their schedule? It is not like it is the sydney olympics or if the world cup was played in australia. It is played in germany and the games are on when cats are eating birds.
In 2002 the same thing happened and back then it was worst as the games were played between 4pm and 12am.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
crap idea. as charlie said you cant change a schedule for something around the world. if it were in Australia (or sydney like the olympics then yes) but you cnat keep changing your calander to suit other sports. by this logic maybe we should have played origin over 3 weeks in the february when nothing esle was on....

you also have to remember that the reason ithe world cup is getting this much coverage at the moment is because australia is in it for he first time in 100 years or whatever it is.

the NRL/ARL cant predict how the socceroos would go, if the socceroos werent in it you wouldnt see nearly as much coverage and this topic would be moot.

imagine if the ARL said "we're going to put SOO back a month because the soceroos might make the world cup and we dont want it clashing" :sarcasm: :crazy: :roll:

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
The big difference between 2002 and 2006 is Australia made the 2006 world cup. Bad example Saab. I can tell you for a fact that just about everyone except the newsagent I saw this morning have watched last nights game. And the only reason the newsagent didn't watch the match was because he has to get up at 4am to do deliveries.

The problem with delaying the games origin though is it starts to impact on the 2nd half of the season too much. I think the schedule had to be done the way it was, but it really is helping soccer by doing it this way.

There is plenty of room in the sports market for viewing. It's the impact on kids that the suit wearers of this game should be worried about. Especially if we keep winning like last night.

Mr Saab

Referee
I dont care if Australia are a powerhouse of world soccer...League should never bow down to other sports.
The fact that pigskin wants the orgin schedule changed is nuts.

It was the same when Oz hosted the union world cup...they went on as though union was going to take over all codes...hmmm...well in 2004 league had a record yr and then backed that up in 2005.
Soccer...meh...it is like a hypercolour tshirt, they are all popular for 3 months and then people get bored with them.
League is under no threat from soccer.

Wests is Best

Juniors
The origin games do not clash with the world cup matches however I kind of agree with Pigskin that the timing of Origin is at the worst possible time for promotional purposes. Everybody is talking about the World cup and rightly so. Ratings will be down for Origin tomorrow night. Plenty of people will watch it of course, but not as many as usual imo. Reason for this will be lack of publicity.
It's easy to say we shouldn't bow to any other sport but lets face it there are bigger things than state of origin.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
I dont care if Australia are a powerhouse of world soccer...League should never bow down to other sports.
The fact that pigskin wants the orgin schedule changed is nuts.

It was the same when Oz hosted the union world cup...they went on as though union was going to take over all codes...hmmm...well in 2004 league had a record yr and then backed that up in 2005.
Soccer...meh...it is like a hypercolour tshirt, they are all popular for 3 months and then people get bored with them.
League is under no threat from soccer.
there is nothing about bowing down. the times don't clash anyway. If anything this is good. The game finishes at 10:30, watch the soccer at 11 after a half hour break. its not like Aus is playing tommorow anyway.

innsaneink

Referee
Wests is Best said:
The origin games do not clash with the world cup matches however I kind of agree with Pigskin that the timing of Origin is at the worst possible time for promotional purposes. Everybody is talking about the World cup and rightly so. Ratings will be down for Origin tomorrow night. Plenty of people will watch it of course, but not as many as usual imo. Reason for this will be lack of publicity.
It's easy to say we shouldn't bow to any other sport but lets face it there are bigger things than state of origin.

Spot on...even just for NRL and not origin, I find it odd, off -putting and downright strange to wait for the sports report on the news only to find soccer as the lead......I imagine its what those poor souls that live in melbourne suffer year after year.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Why bother? If the bloody Krauts are too stupid to go head to head with Origin, why should we bother if their soccer crowds plummet????

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
i agree iwth the first post because league's origin series is the highhlight of the year as well as a mojor ad to those non-followers of the game, every year more ppl are enticed inot the greatest game of all bcoz of origin and for this specatacle media coverage is essential and if the media is more interested in the happenings in deutschland then that detracts from origin!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
If Australia hadnt made the WC would it have as much publicity?
NO

the NRL/ARL cannot predict what teams make the world cup, is australia hadnt this topic wouldnt be raised

Lang Park

Juniors
jc155776 said:
I kinda understand as per media coverage. BUT the world cup games are not until 11pm at night. Maybe if the times clashed then change it up somehow but other than that it is alright. Sports lovers paradise this week with the Sharks on saturday up here, union yesterday, soccer tonight and origin wednesday!

The Jap v Aus game wont win the ratings due to the horible time, will stick it to them but. Its not a contest but anyway so not a big deal...

The jap v aus game rated quite well,a total of 3.35 million viewers.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/print/0,8668,19468011-23210,00.html
MORE than three million viewers tuned in to watch the Australia's historic World Cup victory on Monday night.

Broadcast rights holder SBS recorded a total of 3.35 million viewers flicking the switch to watch Australia defeat Japan 3-1 in the opening game of Group F.

The audience peaked at 2.57 million at 11.40pm (AEST) and the match averaged a national audience of 2.16 million.

Broadcast live from Kaiserslautern in Germany, the game began at 11pm (AEST) and finished in dramatic fashion after 1am, with Australia scoring all its three goals in the last six minutes of the game.

It was the broadcaster's second largest audience in its history after the World Cup qualifier between Australia and Uruguay, which attracted 2.5 million viewers in November last year.

That match was screened in prime time from 7.30pm.

In comparison, the network's coverage of cricket's fifth Ashes Test in 2005 attracted an overall average national audience of 664,000 daily.

In March, Channel 9's coverage of the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony attracted a peak audience of 4.09 million and an average of 3.47 million over the more than two-and-a-half hour extravaganza.

That is just more than half the number who watched the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games Opening Ceremony broadcast, which drew an audience of more than 6.5 million.

The top ranked television events of 2005 included the AFL grand final between Sydney Swans and West Coast, which attracted 3.39 million viewers on Channel 10, and Wests Tigers' defeat of the North Queensland in the NRL grand final, which drew 2.56 million viewers for Channel 9.

Makybe Diva's last Melbourne Cup win attracted 2.51 million viewers on Channel 7.

As to my view on this thread,i'd hate to see us change soo games around unless we actually clash live with the soccer,that's not happening so let's leave them as is.:)

BroncoBuck

Juniors
The ARL/NRL have dropped the ball on this issue. They released the draw on Nov 4 last year. If they had waited 2 weeks they would have known the Socceroos had made it.

And, there was no need to 'change' the scheduling all that much. We could have just played the games around it.

1. The 'Anzac' Test could have been played closer to Anzac day.

2. The SOO games would have been 3 weeks apart:

Game 1 May 17 (a week earlier than this year's game)
Game 2 June 7 (before world cup started)
Game 3 June 28 (still while the world cup is on but after the Round of 16 so very unlikely that Socceroos still in the game)

It's another indication of the incompetence of those that run RL.

Latest posts