What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Retention and Recuitment

hellteam

First Grade
Just put up a team in the NRL section of all the players we have lost over the years... wow

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Your a hard man to please.

the boys have played well over the past 5 weeks to scrape in by their scotums but the depth and skill mix of our squad isnt right, and the problem is we let players go to buy players who werent encessarily better. i thinkt he team could ahve been a lot stronger this year had we tried harder to retain players ennis and hannant, remembering players like boyd and stagg were released (i believe) afetr we had finished up signings last year. eastwood was also released to play in england and the dogs have gotten his services this year

last time i bagged administration this much was in 06 and we won the premiership after i declared bennet should go whetehr we win or not. i'd love to see another premiership and if we win it, it will eb downt o the deisre of the skill of the plaeyrs and the coach -not whoever is in charge of R & R

Country Bronco

Juniors
the boys have played well over the past 5 weeks to scrape in by their scotums but the depth and skill mix of our squad isnt right, and the problem is we let players go to buy players who werent encessarily better. i thinkt he team could ahve been a lot stronger this year had we tried harder to retain players ennis and hannant, remembering players like boyd and stagg were released (i believe) afetr we had finished up signings last year. eastwood was also released to play in england and the dogs have gotten his services this year

last time i bagged administration this much was in 06 and we won the premiership after i declared bennet should go whetehr we win or not. i'd love to see another premiership and if we win it, it will eb downt o the deisre of the skill of the plaeyrs and the coach -not whoever is in charge of R & R

Does this mean you want henjak to leave whether we win or not? Also. this time around.

isaiah

Bench
I remember reading an article about how a beaming Ben Hannant got the big money contract at the Bulldogs last year.

The gist of the article was pretty much how was grateful that the Broncos signed him up, showed faith in him, developed him into an Origin player etc.... and because of this he was offered big money to leave to another club.

This article pissed me off. We have done this with other players too such as Ennis. What's the point in developing them if as soon as they become a good player they just leave to get more money??

In the past we could rely on players wanting to stay in Brisbane but it seems like we can't anymore. I think this is more then just a Broncos problem. Players seem to be more 'greedy' these days and willing to go for more money.

Basically, the NRL needs to step in and create some kind salary cap exemption (or something like) for teams that develop players becasue it is just getting ridiculous...

i would not say we developed ennis, we were his 3rd club, got injured for the season early on v bunnies first year, then was very good for us last year.

on the recruitment side, we as a club have always developed our own and just added where there were deficiencies. we have not shown enough faith in our young guns, IMO

Big Pete

Referee
That's why I didn't understand our recruitment drive in 07/08 in particular signing up Joel Clinton.

Surely we could've used his money to retain Petero?

I never had a problem signing Sims. The guy has serious potential and his younger siblings especially Korbin have serious promise.

DeeJ

Bench
That's why I didn't understand our recruitment drive in 07/08 in particular signing up Joel Clinton.

Surely we could've used his money to retain Petero?

I never had a problem signing Sims. The guy has serious potential and his younger siblings especially Korbin have serious promise.

Petero was screwed by the management but I don't think the idea was to replace him with Clinton. I remember reading a few articles about how Joel was excited to playing with him so they must of wanted them to play together.

I still think he was a decent signing though. We needed a prop with experience at the time.

Big Pete

Referee
It was the signing of both Clinton and Sims that did Petero in.

I understood Sims, but not Clinton who's career was winding down in Penrith.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Unlike Sims and Setu who have stepped up and show potential for significant improvement Clinton is mediocre at best. I am seriously off this fella being at the Broncos and can not see 275k / year of our cap wasted on him anymore. I would rather rely on Hala and Lui in 2010 and would be doing my utmost to offload Clinton if there are any eligible suitors out there looking for an honest prop at best.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Unlike Sims and Setu who have stepped up and show potential for significant improvement Clinton is mediocre at best. I am seriously off this fella being at the Broncos and can not see 275k / year of our cap wasted on him anymore. I would rather rely on Hala and Lui in 2010 and would be doing my utmost to offload Clinton if there are any eligible suitors out there looking for an honest prop at best.

Are you kidding? Clinton has been fantastic all year up until his injury. True, Clinton isn't worth 275k but there are no forwards off contract who are better than him. I don't know if Clinton is still a bit injured or just out of favor at the moment because he should be our starting prop with Kenny. Just look at his stats in the last 4 weeks before his injury.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
speaking of kenny, hard toiler, but have you ever seen a prop smashed as often as kenny? i mean czilowksi (?) used to get hammered a lot and martin lang co[pped high shots, but kenny gets hammered at least once every week

shame taylor didnt decide to come into form before he signed with souths....

setu has stepped up in the last few weeks but overall he's been poor this year. i've liked what i've seen from te'o and i think he'll be better with another offseason with the team

TD09

Juniors
speaking of kenny, hard toiler, but have you ever seen a prop smashed as often as kenny? i mean czilowksi (?) used to get hammered a lot and martin lang co[pped high shots, but kenny gets hammered at least once every week

shame taylor didnt decide to come into form before he signed with souths....

setu has stepped up in the last few weeks but overall he's been poor this year. i've liked what i've seen from te'o and i think he'll be better with another offseason with the team

The thing I am liking more about Setu in the last 4-6 weeks is his offloads. He is getting more away, but he hasnt just increased the quantity, the quality off the offloads are also improving. He is picking his time right and getting good passes away. This is something we have been quite poor at in recent years. Adds an extra dimension to our attack.

Dazzat

First Grade
Kenny ... reminds me of Andrew Gee and Gavin Allen ... he's got one weapon in his artillery and that's the hit and spin. He'e slow by most standards of props today, and has no step, hence getting smashed week in week out.

It's not so much getting smashed that's the problem, but the yardage.

It's amazing we're winning games with our front row at the moment. None are really making yards up the middle, which is a total contrast to Broncos teams of the past decade or so.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
There's a zing in the runs of Kenny Clinton does not have, smashed as he might get I have a feeling Kenny still takes more out of the defence then Clinton does. In 2yrs I have seen squat from Clinton and personally he rates as one of the most disappointing signings with a "name" we've ever made. Kenny is far, far better and I can only imagine the further impact he might of made running off the back of a Hannant charge. Naughty Bruno :sarcasm: Setu on the other hand has it all in front of him and we need to be patient and not let another Taylor incident occur. This kid can play !!!!!

Bayside Bronco

Juniors
There can't be a thread on retention without mentioning the elephant in the corner. Dave Taylor. Why on earth was he let go? The biggest mistake of the season.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
There can't be a thread on retention without mentioning the elephant in the corner. Dave Taylor. Why on earth was he let go? The biggest mistake of the season.

Why on earth would we pay 300k+ for someone who obviously doesn't deserve it. People where whinging about us paying Izzy 400k(or what ever it actually was), an origin and international winger, one of the best in the game, and one that still has so far to go with his career. But people are saying we are stupid for not paying Taylor 300k+ and he couldn't even manage to play first grade consistently.

Taylor is a gun and I think he has the potential to go far. But 300k+ for potential is just too risky.

Some people don't realise these things.:crazy: