What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible BBL/WBBL changes for 2023

I would consider the following changes to the BBL and WBBL for 2023

Power Play- previously it was 6 overs up front then changed to 4 with 2 to be used from over 11 onwards

I would change it to the following

2 overs to be used in overs 1 to 6
2 overs to be used in overs 7 to 13
2 overs to be used in overs 14 to 20

BBL Bash Point

Currently The team chasing will receive the bonus point if they're above the equivalent 10-over score of their opposition, while if they're trailing, the fielding side will receive the point.

I would change this to 1/2 the score the batting team scored in their innings plus 1 run at the 10 over mark

I.e a team scores 180 runs in their 20 overs - the team batting second would need to score 91 ( 1/2 of 180 plus 1 run)

X Factor/Replacements

Currently At the 10-over mark of the first innings, each team has an option of swapping one out of the aforementioned two players as their 'X-factor' player.

I.e a Bowler for another Bowler who has bowled 1 or less overs

A Batsman for another Batsman who has not yet battered.

I would change it to either of these players can be used at any time during the game - bowling or batting

I.e A Bowler for another bowler who has not bowled 4 overs
i.e A Batsman for another Batsman who has either not batted or is currently batting - the batsmen maybe struggling so the X factor Batsman comes in as a pinch hitter

Any views or other Suggestions?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Some good suggestions there (the bonus point goal of 1/2 the score + 1 of the team batting first I like)

Problem with your power play scenarios, the team batting second will use 4 of those overs in the first 10 overs chasing the bonus point. Id keep the powerplay simple. As it is, or first 3 overs and last 3 overs, or 4/2.

Id piss of the x-factor player tbh. IMO id just have the 12th man as concussion sub and that's it. If there is more than one concussion so be it, which in fairness will likely happen very rarely

Something left field - Id like a no ball (free hit) to be over turned if the non striker is out of his crease at time of delivery 😂😜 (ie still concede 1 run for the NB but no free hit)

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Main suggestion id have is a shorter but more quality season

Each team plays each other once plus a derby ie Thun v Six, Ren v Sta, Hob v Heat, Ade v Per.

So 8 games per team

Top 3 make the finals

2 v 3 for the right to play 1 in the final

Maybe look to have the final as best of 3 if they wanted to squeeze an extra game or two in

Bazal

Post Whore
Big Bash Booooooost points every over!

Every ball a batsman leaves is -4 runs and every block is -2!

Can't get out for zero, encourage early slogging!

You can only be caught out on the apex by the top!

Fangs

Coach
If Covid is on the way out then create scheduling that allows the test XI get some Big Bash games. Right now we don't have the flexibility to do that but it makes the games far more interesting when the talent is there.

And for a wacky idea worthy of the Big Bash. Prepare 3 pitches. Triple header starting at 10.00am. Bigger and better than the magic weekend. Also bring back the Super Sub.

Bring in a couple of NZ franchises and a team in Singapore. That way every team plays 10 games.

Allow a designated bowler to bowl 6 overs - eg Rashid Khan or Sean Abbott.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If a team has a bald player than they get an extra 2/20 added to their score.
Any ball that isn't a Knuckleball is a no ball and is therefore a free hit.
Keep the X factor, however they have to be a dachshund called Tony. The X factor can only enter the game to replace the bald player.
If a batsman hits the umpire's arm guard then the batting team gets 12 runs. If he kills the umpire it's a free hit.
Introduce 15 new teams, 5 of them based in Port Augusta. Each team plays each other twice with a top 19 finals system over 7 months. Winner receives the Clive Rose Memorial trophy.
Get a robot to execute the bat flip and the channel 7 commentary team.

Some good suggestions there (the bonus point goal of 1/2 the score + 1 of the team batting first I like)

Problem with your power play scenarios, the team batting second will use 4 of those overs in the first 10 overs chasing the bonus point. Id keep the powerplay simple. As it is, or first 3 overs and last 3 overs, or 4/2.

Id piss of the x-factor player tbh. IMO id just have the 12th man as concussion sub and that's it. If there is more than one concussion so be it, which in fairness will likely happen very rarely

Something left field - Id like a no ball (free hit) to be over turned if the non striker is out of his crease at time of delivery 😂😜 (ie still concede 1 run for the NB but no free hit)
Yeh maybe the following for the power plays

2 power play overs in overs 1 to 5
2 power play overs in overs 6 to 10
2 power play overs from over 11

The X factor is a bit of a basket case in it's use so maybe it can be used like a reserve instead.

Bring in a couple of NZ franchises and a team in Singapore. That way every team plays 10 games.

Allow a designated bowler to bowl 6 overs - eg Rashid Khan or Sean Abbott.
Maybe a team in Canberra and one in NT for a 10 team comp so each State and Territory has at least 1 team - 2 divisions of 5 teams - play teams in your division twice and other division once - 13 games - 6 team finals series - top 3 from each division in cross over finals series.

Further teams could be added - 2nd QLD and WA team for a 12 team comp - 2 Divisions of 6 teams.

10 Team Comp.

Division 1
Sixers
Thunder
Heat
Strikers
NT

Division 2
Stars
Renegades
Hurricanes
Scorchers
Canberra

Qualifying Finals
A) 2 vs 3 - winner to semi final and losers eliminated
B) 2 vs 3 - winner to semi final and losers eliminated

Semi Finals
C) 1 vs 1 - winner to Grand Final - loser to Prelim Final
D) Winners of A and B - winner to Prelim Final - loser eliminated

Prelim Final
E) Loser of C vs Winner of D- Winner to Grand final - loser eliminated

Grand Final
F) Winner of C vs Winner of E

Last edited:
If a team has a bald player than they get an extra 2/20 added to their score.
Any ball that isn't a Knuckleball is a no ball and is therefore a free hit.
Keep the X factor, however they have to be a dachshund called Tony. The X factor can only enter the game to replace the bald player.
If a batsman hits the umpire's arm guard then the batting team gets 12 runs. If he kills the umpire it's a free hit.
Introduce 15 new teams, 5 of them based in Port Augusta. Each team plays each other twice with a top 19 finals system over 7 months. Winner receives the Clive Rose Memorial trophy.
Get a robot to execute the bat flip and the channel 7 commentary team.
What happened to Clive Rose - no gig in BBL 10 and 11

1642047788700.png

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
These are some legit suggestions.
1. Scrap the X factor, if someone in this comp isn't good enough to make the XI they're not going to change anything when they're subbed in.

2. Scrap the Bash Boost. Instead, if you want to offer incentives for more high octane play, offer a bonus point if teams batting sides can score 200+ or bowling teams restrict teams to less than 100.

3. It's been introduced in international t20s (see below), should be brought into the BBL too. If you can't bowl your overs in time fielding restrictions start to apply.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't mind the sub, but stop calling it X Factor. That makes it seem like Justin fking Avendano is some kind of game breaker.

Seriously more gimmicks aren't what fans want. The Bash Boost point is useless and the power surge is just about pointless.

Proper bonus points. Score 180+ (or 200, whatever), restrict a team to 120 or less, win by a certain amount, doesn't matter just actual bonus points that reflect the whole match, not just ten overs.

4 over powerplay and then 2 that must be taken after 15. Give the back end of an innings some impetus and make captains use their bowlers (and pick their attacks) better.

If you must have gimmicks, make them crowd engaging. The old Mercantile sign was a cracker.

roofromoz

First Grade
Shorten the competition - each team once, plus another for derbies, etc.

Have it start just before Christmas and the final on Australia Day. Second half just after the final test and have the internationals available - then have a T20I series, followed by ODI series.

But also bring in further emphasis for the Second XI series - so those Shield players who don't play BBL can still play four day cricket.

T-Boon

Coach
4x10 over innings.

A play I just saw in the test match also made me think if you catch the ball in the field of play but run or go over the boundary rope it should still be out. So long as you have control of the ball before touching boundary.