What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post-game Comments

Sean7

Juniors
Yep, I'm still playing it because it's a league game. I turned the last game off hafway through though because I can't stand it when a game makes me lose when it isn't my fault.

Scores even and Fittler puts a kick down field. The ball stops just inside the sideline and Burt, with no pressure on him runs across to pick it up and runs straight over the sideline with it. They score off the next play. I'm sick of this kind of crap, how can a play tester not pick this stuff up.

In the game before that, I was down 22-18 with 5 seconds to go and received apenalty for a head high tackle about 40 metres out from their goal line, so I thought I'd just kick for touch and take the tap about 10m out from their try line, but hen I remembered - no that'll end the game. :roll: So I just took the tap from 40m out and didn't make it. Some of the flaws are just so basic, but have such a huge impact on the game. I just wish the game followed the rules of the sport.

And the deliberate forward passes are really pissing me off. Hardly any of these passes are even forward. The repleays clearly show that, but I must admit that these players are incredibly talented, I've never seen players with the ability to throw boomerang passes like thes guys do. The passes go 2m back and then float 5m forward. They impliment a deliberate forward pass rule in a game that has a passing system this buggy? How stupid.

I still say the play tester must've been asleep... or drunk.

Razor

Coach
Sean7 said:
-Hit ups don't get counted. How the hell could that happen?

Hit-ups do get counted.

-The forward passes are a joke. Apart from there being too many, almost all of them aren't forward anyway, as the replay clearly shows.

Practice a bit more. I haven't thrown a forward pass the past 7 games I've played, and passed a lot.

-Sign a player to a certain team and they aren't removed from the team you signed them from.

I agree with that, but that was planned.

That was a requested feature where you can have the same player on 2 sides.

-Players standing still when they should be running onto the ball. Always happens at crucial times. I've tried everything to avoid it.

Either pass later, or while the ball is in the air, press the 'change player' key and start running.

-Way too many offloads, if these were much more limited, the game woud be 10 times better. To be honest, I think it's the biggest flaw in the game. You can offload in almost every tackle. So good defence isn't rewarded.

Play it on a harder level, you won't be able to offload as much.

And if you do agressive tackles the defence is unlikely to be able to offload.

-Short passes, long passes, who knows? I tap the trigger and it throws a cut out pass. I tap the trigger and it throws a short pass. I like surprises, but not this type.

I have no problem with the passing. The passing system is great.

-Jerky goal kicking meter. I've never seen this sort of thing in a game before.

I'd say it will be your computer. Lower the stadium level details.

I'm sick of this kind of crap, how can a play tester not pick this stuff up.

I heard they use amatuer play-testers and not paiid play-testers. Don't know if that's standard for small companies, but big companies like EA Sports pay, but also expect you to do a lot more work playing it - like 10 hours a day.

Sean7

Juniors
Hit ups don't get counted, at least not on Xbox. I've played many games where both teams have had no hitups in the halftime stats. None of my players got into double figures for the season and I do plenty of hit ups.

How do I practice not doing forward passes when I pass to a guy that's 5m behind me and my player actually passes it back 2m, but it floats forward 5m and it still gets called as a forward pass. This even happens from dummy half. I've been playing for about 20 hours, so I've had a fair bit of practice.

I shouldn't have to pass later to avoid players standing still, I want to clear the ruck as soon as possible. I'll try changing to the receiver before he catches it though, thanks. Even though it'll probably change to the wrong player. :roll:

Hmmm... aggressive tackles, but I perform about 3 head highs a game as it is. I'll try it though. Seasoned is still providing enough challenge at he moment, but I'll try the harder difficulty later although I've been told that the computer just plays hot potato on the higher levels.

We'll have to disagree on the passing.

I'm playing on Xbox so I can't lower stadium detail.

I still think the play testing stinks. A lot of the bugs are so obvious and so hurtful to the game as a whole.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

Frank_The_Tank

Juniors
man i dont know what it is but before i even played the game there was alot of talk about "oh man i hate how you always do forward passes....and it sucks there are too many penalties and sin bins". granted its weird there are intentional forward passes (never, ever in my life have i seen such a thing) and sometimes the rediculous sinbinning of. but i dont know what your all talking about. i through on average 2 or 3 forward passes a game playing 10 minute halves and to me it seems pretty right. you can tell if its gonna be a line ball by the player running up beside you. if hes flat but quite close it should be fine but if hes a bit wide and running full tit the ball will float forward. its easy to detect it just have to keep an eye on it. just like real life you dont shove a pass on to someone if they are frontrunning. and as for penalties they are needed and not overworked. the game is pretty spot on .maybe my version is just ,well...

ngunity

Juniors
Sean7 said:
-Putting the ball down for a try is massively flawed. For one thing, if you're close to the deadball line and you press the button to put the ball down, you'll just dive over the deadball line. Why doesn't he just place it. Even worse is diving for a try in the corner. Run at a diagonal to the corner and you'll often just dive from the field of play, completely miss the ingoal area and place the ball out. How that sort of thing made it into the final game I don't know. Not to mention that if you tackle an opponent in goal and they break your tackle, they'll still often just dive dead because they've run too far.

This is my biggest annoyance to date. But I hear you pal. The game has plenty of issues, but it's still good to have a league game.

Sean7

Juniors
Yes, it is great to have a league game and I've played it a lot, but now that the initial euphoria of having a league game (I absolutely loved it at first), I'm now looking at it as being just another sport game, and a massively flawed one at that.

I knew the game would have flaws nad I was defending it before release on the Xboxworld site when people were bagging it prior to release, but now, after paying out $90 for the thing, I feel a bit cheated.

Sean7

Juniors
Yes, it is great to have a league game and I've played it a lot, but now that the initial euphoria of having a league game (I absolutely loved it at first) has passed, I'm now looking at it as being just another sport game, and a massively flawed one at that.

I knew the game would have flaws nad I was defending it before release on the Xboxworld site when people were bagging it prior to release, but now, after paying out $90 for the thing, I feel a bit cheated.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I'm overwhelmed by it. I expected something akin to rugby 2004, after all the wingeing before i recieved my copy.

But i'm loving it...

Marduk

Juniors
The game is great! I have the XBOX version and it's running really well. My friend on the other hand has a PS2 version of the game and it's dodgy as. The sound goes from being at a normal tone then all of a sudden it will be gone, then when you score a try it's louder than before. Has anyone else experienced this?

My only real beef with the game is the Sharks jersey's are wrong in terms of the sponsors/colours etc.

But overall a really good job for a 1st offering. =D>

ScreamingJet

I expected quite a few flaws. However I think the defensive system is the worst of any sports game I've played. CPU kicking it out from the kickoff and finding touch about 1 millimeter from the line is also frustrating. Too many Sin Bins. Bashing the X button reminds me of old C64 games.
Finished first season last night. Won the comp. Only playing in Seasoned mode. Lost 8 games through the year.
Stadiums are great. They didn't quite get Brookvale right though at the Southern and Western sides.
I'll be playing it for a while. I'm not sure if becasue I really like it or just cos I'm rapt to finally have a League game to play.
Kicking system is great though inc. Goal kicking.
I just hope they produce another and take it to the next level.... and add the other stadium siren sounds.
Oh, my PS2 hasn't frozen once. I can't imagine playing this on Xbox....and I used to own one.

Anonymous

Juniors
It has its flaws, but overall its a very fun first effort from Sidhe. A good base to work on for a sequel, methinks.

I have a son who isn't a fan of League and he loves it. He's fighting with my other two sons who are League fans just to get a go.

Dad will get a go one day.

Latest posts