What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-Season Trials

Smiley

Bench
Baby Broncos shine in trial

Saturday, February 4, 2006 - 9:46 PM

A relatively unknown Brisbane Broncos team made sure the club enjoyed a victorious start to the NRL pre-season with a lop-sided 72-16 win over a Wide Bay representative team in Childers.

Only two players in the "Baby Broncos" squad had experienced first grade before yet it failed to stop them from running up a cricket score.

Winger Gideon Mzembe was a stand-out for the Broncos and crossed for an impressive double, as did speedster Denan Kemp, Alex Tallon, Tame Tupou, Jacob Fauid and Jamie Simpson.

Young gun Nathan Strudwick, the son of former rugby league star Ross, also scored for Brisbane.

"Gideon was really good out on the wing tonight," Broncos football manager Andrew Gee said of Zimbabwean-born Mzembe.

Gee said exciting prospect Fraser Anderson, the middle brother of Kiwi Test stars Louis and Vinnie, showed promise but looked like rusty at times.

"He went quite well but obviously hadn't played and, at times, it showed," Gee said.

"I think it will take him a while to get back into the game."

Brisbane Broncos 72 (D Kemp, G Mzembe, A Tallon, T Tupou, J Fauid, J Simpson 2, R Strudwick tries; B Green 6, A Tallon 4 goals), bt Wide Bay Representative Team 16.

Brought to you by AAP

© AAP

Big Pete

Referee
Interesting, hope to hear more about Mzembe.

Sad to hear about Anderson though, I'd like to see him play against better trial sides though to see if he lifts for the bigger games.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Mzembe is sh!t and over rated. The Wynnum Seagulls smashed the young Brisbane Broncos tonight 56-12 at Kougari Oval.

Smiley

Bench
Halfback Hunt hot in Broncos crushing
by Scott Dickson
Saturday February 11, 2006

KARMICHAEL Hunt tonight showed he has the goods to handle a potential permanent switch to halfback after a “dominating” playmaking display in the Ergon Energy Broncos successful second pre-season trial.

The teenage sensation managed the transition from fullback with aplomb, grabbing a double and orchestrating two others in the 36-4 crushing of a combined Cowboys/Young Guns side in Rockhampton.

It was a performance that would thrill coach Wayne Bennett, mainly because his possible halfback of the near future strongly indicated he could play first receiver in a way which would take plenty of playmaking pressure off five-eighth Darren Lockyer.

With last season’s no.7 Brett Seymour (shoulder) battling an off-season shoulder reconstruction, Hunt is likely to partner Lockyer in the halves for the NRL season’s opening rounds.

And based on tonight's showing, the 19-year-old could find himself in the Broncos halves for years to come.

“He completely dominated tonight,” said Broncos football manager Andrew Gee, a former Queensland Origin prop.

“He looked comfortable out there and was impressive in all areas of the halfback game.”

Hunt, who captained the side tonight and delivered his classy second-half try via a solo chip and regather, added:

"The main thing for me tonight was to keep it simple," Hunt told AAP.

"It was a bit more tackling than at fullback but I had fun. It's definitely a position I would love to keep playing."

In its first proper 2006 contest after last weekend’s rookie-filled team thumped a Wide Bay selection, the Broncos side featuring 13 NRL players cruised to a seven-tries-to-one romp.

Along with Hunt, teenage flyer Steve Michaels scored a brace, with winger Tame Tupou and young non-NRL squad members Jamie Simpson and Ian Lacey also crossing the line.

“Despite being rusty with the ball, the team was pretty good for an initial hit out,” Gee said.

“Along with Hunt, I thought (18-year-old) fullback Darius Boyd and (Roosters off-season recruit) Ben Hannant were our best.”

Gee said the Broncos other off-season recruit, Michael Ennis, who kicked four goals, “was steady” in his debut for the club.

The Broncos came through the match with no casualties.

The club is expected to field a near full strength side for next Saturday’s second-last trial against Canberra in Port Macquarie.

In another pre-season match involving the Broncos club last night, a team of Broncos juniors from Toowoomba and Aspley were thumped 56-12 by Wynnum at Kougari Oval.

The Seagulls led 40-6 at the break.

BRONCOS/CLYDESDALES 36 (K Hunt 2, S Michaels 2, T Tupou, J Simpson, I Lacey; Michael Ennis 4 goals) defeated COWBOYS/YOUNG GUNS 4 (M Henry try) at Browne Park, Rockhampton.

Referee: G. Suttor
Crowd: 6, 500 (capacity)

Smiley

Bench
I'd rather see Karmicheal in the halves and Darius Boyd at fullback and get rid of Seymour.

CQ RAIDER

Juniors
The broncos were good in hot & muggy conditions,their ball control was good and their defence was also sound.Ben Hannant was the teams best in my opinion,Hunt was good in offence but needs to work on defence.Having said that the Cowboys were disappointing particularly their ball handling.

parra_jesus

Juniors
I always knew hunt would move into the halves, i think he will replace lockyer as five-eight, he is the future of the bronco's.

Hunt owns the #7 jumper now. Best thing for Brisbane was finally getting rid of Mick Ryan and getting in Ennis who is a real hooker with potential. And Seymour can't be far behind getting the boot.

Hunt has a leadership quality about him which is what we need in the #7, Seymour doesn't show that. I hope Seymour likes Clydesdale blue, cause that's what he'll be wearing this year.

yep, seymours had his chance. he hasnt shown me anything, bring on hunt at halfback, his defence cant be any worse then seymours

broncoman

Juniors
Obviously i beg to differ with the general opinion on Seymour, personally i think hes still got a big future, the injuries he had for a couple of years seemed to dent his confidence but i think hes still our future number 7...

Pierced Soul

First Grade
pennywisealfie said:
yep, seymours had his chance. he hasnt shown me anything, bring on hunt at halfback, his defence cant be any worse then seymours

seymours' defence seemed to improve dramatically in the back half of last season whilst lockyers just got worse....

however hunt could provide the creativity that brisbane have lacked since walters retired

Ghoulies

Bench
Here's the announced side for saturdays trial against the Raiders.
Nick Parfitt, Scott Minto, Justin Hodges, Steve Michaels, Tame Tupou, Casey McGuire, Karmichael Hunt, Shane Webcke (c), Michael Ennis, Corey Parker, Neville Costigan, Brad Thorn, Dane Carlaw.

Interchange: Ben Hannant, Petero Civoniceva, Darius Boyd, Greg Eastwood, Shane Perry, Leon Bott (emergency).

fiamacho

Juniors
Hunt at Half-back, I always thought he was a Stand Off, but hey it is another Master Stroke by the Master Coach.

Macca_

Coach
Hi guys,

I'm heading out to the game on Saturday night. Any numbers about for that team listed above? Interested to know who's who for the guys I don't know...