What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

premier league today???

joejoe

Juniors
Sorry gr8_1

I disagree mate.

We want to see our players playing for WESTS Tigers in the NRL but we don't want them being forced to pull on Balmain jumpers.

Wests Magpies supports Wests Tigers, we do not want to support Balmain in a competition where we are actually on field rivals. Nothing worse than seeing three magpies score against us when we played Balmain in Premier League. Makes me and the players sick to the bone!

Fulton actually refused to sing the Balmain team song after the game.

joejoe

Juniors
The Fruit Pickers said:
Wrong ….only players contracted to the Wests Tigers play for BRET, and once the Wests Tigers are paying their contracts they are no longer Wests Magpies players, and therefore the JV should decide where those players play when not required for NRL.
Any coach would want his players playing for one club and not split between the two…don’t blame Tim Sheens because of some old dinosaurs who couldn’t see that the premier league sides needed to be merged…
NRL and Premier League (Wests Tigers) all junior levels below that (Balmain and Wests Magpies), that’s the way it should have been.

Wrong again…they are WESTS TIGERS PLAYERS

But they are of Magpie origin, and so they should return to the Magpies when not needed in the WESTS TIGERS not Balmain.

The Magpies are 50% owners in the JV and should be treated as such. Why should Balmain get the leg up?

When we agreed to the Joint Venture (not a merger remember) it was agreed to join 1st grade ONLY. EVERY OTHER LEVEL would remain seperate. That's what we all agreed on in 1999 when we shook hands. Makes me wonder if our consitution actually allows the U20's situation for next year? I know it doesn't allow this current situation with BRET but its a risky option to fight in the courts.

We won the NRL comp in 05 having our players split between two teams... how much better can you do than that?

If Wests Tigers gave our players back when not needed by them then a large majority of all the discontent with the Joint Venture would disappear over night.

joejoe said:
But they are of Magpie origin, and so they should return to the Magpies when not needed in the WESTS TIGERS not Balmain.
I don’t see how their origin is relevant.

joejoe said:
When we agreed to the Joint Venture (not a merger remember) it was agreed to join 1st grade ONLY. EVERY OTHER LEVEL would remain seperate. That's what we all agreed on in 1999 when we shook hands.
And that was a mistake…as I said before the Wests Tigers should be fielding the NRL and Premier League sides and Balmain and Wests Magpies should be taking care of things at a junior level. It doesn’t matter what was agreed to in 1999, it was an incorrect decision then and it should have been rectified rather than the dinosaurs posturing around like spoilt little children.

When the Wests Tigers sign a player from either Balmain or Wests Magpies, they are no longer Balmain players, and they are no longer Wests Magpies players. The Wests Tigers are a professional NRL club, they have to look after their own interests and not pander to either the Balmain or Wests Magpies clubs. The Wests Tigers are paying those players (not Balmain and not Wests Magpies) and if they want their players playing for one club (and I agree they should be playing for one club) and if BRET is their feeder club, then so be it….

joejoe said:
We won the NRL comp in 05 having our players split between two teams... how much better can you do than that?
And we didn’t have too many injuries during the 05 season; I tend to think that had a bigger bearing.

joejoe said:
If Wests Tigers gave our players back when not needed by them then a large majority of all the discontent with the Joint Venture would disappear over night.
They do, two names, Beau Ryan and Shannon Gallant, ring any bells…the others are no longer OUR PLAYERS, they signed for and are being paid by the JV…

There are incorrect misconceptions about Balmain taking Wests Magpies players…as is the case with Beau Ryan and Shannon Gallant, both of who are not contracted by the Wests Tigers but have been called up to play NRL this season, both are now back playing with the Wests Magpies while they are not required for NRL duties by the Wests Tigers.

The dinosaurs need to keep up with the times, it is 2007, not 1999, and certainly not 1908, and that includes some fans that are stuck in the past. Balmain have a long history, Western Suburbs have a long history, hold on to that history but don’t get stuck in it, the Wests Tigers have the potential to be a leader in the NRL, they have the junior talent, they have the crowds and they have the support, but not while some refuse to let go…

gr8_1

Juniors
The Fruit Pickers said:
I don’t see how their origin is relevant.

And that was a mistake…as I said before the Wests Tigers should be fielding the NRL and Premier League sides and Balmain and Wests Magpies should be taking care of things at a junior level. It doesn’t matter what was agreed to in 1999, it was an incorrect decision then and it should have been rectified rather than the dinosaurs posturing around like spoilt little children.

When the Wests Tigers sign a player from either Balmain or Wests Magpies, they are no longer Balmain players, and they are no longer Wests Magpies players. The Wests Tigers are a professional NRL club, they have to look after their own interests and not pander to either the Balmain or Wests Magpies clubs. The Wests Tigers are paying those players (not Balmain and not Wests Magpies) and if they want their players playing for one club (and I agree they should be playing for one club) and if BRET is their feeder club, then so be it….

And we didn’t have too many injuries during the 05 season; I tend to think that had a bigger bearing.

They do, two names, Beau Ryan and Shannon Gallant, ring any bells…the others are no longer OUR PLAYERS, they signed for and are being paid by the JV…

There are incorrect misconceptions about Balmain taking Wests Magpies players…as is the case with Beau Ryan and Shannon Gallant, both of who are not contracted by the Wests Tigers but have been called up to play NRL this season, both are now back playing with the Wests Magpies while they are not required for NRL duties by the Wests Tigers.

The dinosaurs need to keep up with the times, it is 2007, not 1999, and certainly not 1908, and that includes some fans that are stuck in the past. Balmain have a long history, Western Suburbs have a long history, hold on to that history but don’t get stuck in it, the Wests Tigers have the potential to be a leader in the NRL, they have the junior talent, they have the crowds and they have the support, but not while some refuse to let go…

Well said. :clap: My exact thoughts.

Though won't make a difference next season IMO. The new State Cup will be watched by 8 people + a hotdog seller. It won't be played before a NRL game and both foundation clubs will struggle to put forward there own identity and agenda. All this 50-50 crap should be just that - crap. To be successful the club needs to make decisions for the benefit of the Wests Tigers not to please both sides of the joint venture. Sure tradition is important - but your not going to create new tradition and memories for Wests or Balmain - Wests and Balmain died in 1999 as a elite entity - this is Wests Tigers now. This applies to players, grounds, jerseys and location.

alien

Referee
gallagher said:
Yeah I know how it works. Seems to me the maggie supporters are against their juniors going up to the NRL.

Not at all but when they are not playing in first grade they should go back to wests magpies lower grade. Why is it better for all the wt contracted player that just miss out on 1st grade to play for the 1 feeder team?