What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership? Think yakka instead, Ricky warns Sharks

cronullashark

Juniors
Premiership? Think yakka instead, Ricky warns Sharks
Adrian Proszenko
December 17, 2006

ONLY moments after Darren Lockyer touched down to ensure Australia were again the dominant force in international rugby league, coach Ricky Stuart's thoughts shifted to the bigger challenge ahead.
While Lockyer, having completed his 34th game of the season, was now free to anticipate a driving holiday in New Zealand, for Stuart the hard work was about to begin.
Forget his own gruelling year - 36 hours after the Tri-Nations triumph he was back at work in a makeshift office in the Sharks football club.
His focus was now a task that had been beyond some of the greatest minds in rugby league - guiding Cronulla to a premiership.
Even the great Jack Gibson, the supercoach who won five titles with Easts and Parramatta, could do no better than eighth place during his three seasons with the club.
"Waiting for the Sharks to win a comp is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt," he once said.
Stuart isn't daunted by the challenge of instilling a winning culture into a club that has never tasted success, but he won't entertain premiership talk.
"Winning a grand final is the hardest thing you can do in football as a player or a coach and this competition is even harder to do it in," he said. "We're in pre-season in my first year - I'm not looking that far ahead.
"You've got to have a long-range view, but there's no reason you can't have short-term success. Any suggestion a grand final is around the corner is stupid - the only thing around the corner is a lot of hard work."
Stuart has already put his stamp on the club. His first order of business was to shake up the way the Sharks trained, ensuring every session has a competitive edge. At a recent opposed session, the losing team had to complete four 400 metre sprints - within five minutes. That's plenty of incentive not to lose.
The other big change is giving the junior teams in the area a chance to train with the first-grade squad.
"We've got a very big junior base here and that's of great benefit," he said. "It would be silly for me not to tap into that. A big part of my initial agenda is getting plans in place to be involved in the local competition, our junior representatives.
"It's important for us to be out in the local league with kids to promote rugby league in the area.
"As a 15-year-old I got a chance to do full-time training with the Canberra Raiders under Don Furner snr. There was no bigger buzz. I used to love playing with the senior players - the Meningas, Belchers, O'Sullivans, David Grants, Gary Spears.
"These young kids wouldn't have even heard of a lot of those people, but playing with them was the highlight of my day.
"I was going to school and couldn't get home quickly enough so I could get to Taylor Park to train."
Stuart has a history of getting results fast. He won a premiership in his first attempt with the Sydney Roosters, guided NSW to State of Origin glory and restored Australia's place at the top of world football with Tri-Nations success. But now the challenge is to bring results to a club bereft of success since it began 40 years ago.
"I'm not too concerned about the past," he said. "I'll be judged on the present and the future."
Source: The Sun-Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/premiership-think-yakka-instead-ricky-warns-sharks/2006/12/16/1166162369247.html

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Stuart has already put his stamp on the club. His first order of business was to shake up the way the Sharks trained, ensuring every session has a competitive edge. At a recent opposed session, the losing team had to complete four 400 metre sprints - within five minutes. That's plenty of incentive not to lose.

Yep. No more lazing round the pool sipping margaritas.

Inferno

Coach
I wonder what Sticky was thinking when the only article about the way we trained last year was Roper talking up the benefits of Juggling :roll:

Good to hear though, fingers crossed it translates onto results on the field.

Good communications strategy from Sticky - unlike the debacle of our last amateur coach...within seconds of being signed was already talking about the benefits of winning the comp.

Given that the big benefit was free coffee, it was all a bit odd I think.

spider

Coach
"We're in pre-season in my first year - I'm not looking that far ahead.

"You've got to have a long-range view, but there's no reason you can't have short-term success. Any suggestion a grand final is around the corner is stupid - the only thing around the corner is a lot of hard work."

I like this Ricky bloke.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Very encouraging.

I do think 07 is a write off, but 08 should be good and 09 great.

innsaneink

Referee
He started out with a gun Bulldogs jnr squad, then inherited a pretty talented top grade roosters outfit.....now its clear he is prepared to work taking on the Sharks, possible second to Souths in the 'job no-one wants' stakes...no disrespect guys.
Stuart seems prepared to work, if the players follow in a few years with some players he wants, I see benefits for the Sharks.
Front office though is always a worry at Woolaware

coolumsharkie

Referee
innsaneink said:
He started out with a gun Bulldogs jnr squad, then inherited a pretty talented top grade roosters outfit.....now its clear he is prepared to work taking on the Sharks, possible second to Souths in the 'job no-one wants' stakes...no disrespect guys.
Stuart seems prepared to work, if the players follow in a few years with some players he wants, I see benefits for the Sharks.
Front office though is always a worry at Woolaware

I'm not sure thats so true in the fact that Competition breeds a willingness to succeed in areas where no one has.. a very tempting prospect imo.. but yeah front office is a tough one to argue... we'll see hey ink.

zeppelin

Juniors
One thing i love about having Ricky Stuart on board is the good PR he brings to our club. Both sunday papers had positve articles about the progress of the sharks. All this in the middle of the cricket season

Chondricthyes

Juniors
Why is 07 a write off?

weren't we second before the players talent finally surcummed to the fool ammeture we had as a coach last year.

Few injuries, the right attitude and a roll on at the end of the season...

ooohhhh, look out!

We are due after annus horribilis in 06.

We win, everybody else loses, and balance is restored to the universe.

Inferno

Coach
Chondricthyes said:
Why is 07 a write off?

weren't we second before the players talent finally surcummed to the fool ammeture we had as a coach last year.

Few injuries, the right attitude and a roll on at the end of the season...

ooohhhh, look out!

We are due after annus horribilis in 06.

We win, everybody else loses, and balance is restored to the universe.

Agreed, while we are no means definates even for the 8, I don't necessarily buy into writing off next year by any means.

Latest posts