What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preston Campbell becomes Coast's inaugural signing!

DIEHARD

----
Campbell signs with Gold Coast

The new Gold Coast franchise today announced Penrith five-eighth Preston Campbell as the club's first signing for its inaugural NRL campaign in 2007.

Campbell, who will remain with the Panthers until the end of next season, signed a three-year-deal with the club.

The 28-year-old said he had put his hand up to be the club's first captain, though no decision on who will lead the side out for their first match has been made yet.

Campbell had long been linked with a move to the new team.

He began his career with the now defunct Gold Coast Chargers in 1998 before going on to play with Cronulla and Penrith.

He made his representative debut this year when he was named on the bench for Country's annual clash with City.

With their first signing now out of the way, the Gold Coast will turn its attention to the rest of the playing roster, with St George Illawarra prop Luke Bailey also linked with a move north.

Eelectrica

Referee
Excellent signing. Players like Preston Campbell are always exciting to watch and will certainly ensure some great crowds even if the team struggles a bit for wins.

Big Mick

Referee
Well done Preston

A great servant to the Penrith club, we'll miss you greatly.

Good luck at the Gold coast and I and other fans wish you well and thank you for the great times you've had at Penrith and the Premiership you helped deliver.

DIEHARD

----
Coast sign classy pivot

By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
June 22, 2005

Gold Coast is more than 18 months from joining the NRL premiership, but that won't stop the club unveiling electrifying Penrith five-eighth Preston Campbell as its inaugural signing today.

And NSW prop Luke Bailey is expected to become the club's second star recruit by the end of the week.

Campbell was to fly to the tourist strip this morning to sign a two-year deal worth an estimated $250,000 per season.

His signing came as Penrith officials moved to head off potentially damaging speculation that the club was in salary-cap trouble and ready to off-load players.

Campbell started his career at the Gold Coast before linking with Penrith, via Cronulla, in 2003 - the same year the club won a premiership.

The Panthers were keen to keep the brilliant pivot but were unable to match the dollars on offer at the NRL's new club.

Coast officials declined to confirm the Campbell coup when contacted by The Australian last night.

However, managing director Michael Searle returned from England yesterday and Campbell's manager Allan Gainey is in Queensland. Gainey also manages Bailey and is expected to open talks with Searle about the Test front-rower today.

In Sydney, Penrith general manager Michael Leary said the 2003 premiers were mystified by speculation they were struggling to stay under the NRL's $3.3 million limit.

"There's a few rumours about us being over the cap," Leary said. "I can assure you and (NRL salary cap auditor) Mr Schubert, and he would know, that we're inside the cap."

However, the club could release second-rower Joe Galuvao if the New Zealand international receives a suitable offer from England. Galuvao was in the sights of Wigan but its interest has waned.

The Brisbane juggernaut continues to roll with the club announcing yesterday it had re-signed Casey McGuire and was close to new deals with team-mates Tonie Carroll, Neville Costigan and Brett Seymour.

The retentions follow an edict by chief executive Bruno Cullen that any Bronco who had not re-signed before the NRL's anti-tampering deadline at the end of this month would probably be released.

McGuire, who made his debut for Queensland in game one of the State of Origin series this year, announced yesterday he would remain a Bronco until the end of 2007.

"I'm pretty confident that Tonie Carroll and Neville Costigan will be signed shortly," Cullen said.

"I've got a meeting with Seymour's manager on Thursday and would be very hopeful of snaring him."

Test centre Shaun Berrigan is also yet to re-sign but the club is not concerned about losing him.

The only other players left in the puzzle are promising forward Sam Thaiday and second rower Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

Cronulla has received a major injury blow with utility Greg Bird out for the rest of the season with a badly torn ligament in his right foot.

Bird suffered a Lisfrancs injury - similar to the one that has kept Mason sidelined since the Tri-Nations tour last year - during last Friday night's gritty win over the Sydney Roosters.

The 21-year-old Maitland junior thought he had twisted his ankle and stayed on the field for five more minutes before coming off.

"It's a shame for him and a shame for the club because he's been playing some good footy this year," Cronulla coach Stuart Raper said.

Bird will find out later this week if he requires surgery.

Newcastle will hold talks with Luke Davico's manager tomorrow with a view to signing the former Canberra prop for next season. The Raiders' injury problems continued yesterday when X-rays revealed Marshall Chalk had fractured his jaw against the Bulldogs last Sunday and would be sidelined for the next six weeks.

The Australian

Pistol

Coach
Berrigan isnt locked away yet??? He would be the signing of the century if the Gold Coast could get him. Its amazing the Broncos havent resigned him. But he probably will stay given his affinity to Wayne Bennett and the close relationship they have.

innsaneink

Referee
Godz Illa said:
If they've been given permission to negotiate, it isn't tampering.

Permission from whom?

Their current club, or the NRL?

Sorry diehard, some of us dont know everything.:rolleyes:

Godz Illa

Coach
Come on man. The anti-tampering rules are there to (in theory) protect the player's current club. In this case, Penrith have decided to waive this rule and allow Preston to negotiate openly and in good faith with the Gold Coast. The only special treatment here is coming from Penrith, who have shown tremendous goodwill towards Preston and have allowed him to pursue his wishes. Respect to the Pennies for that.

DIEHARD

----
Media release from the Gold Coast Consortium

Hey Presto! Preston Campbell Coasts’ inaugural signing.

It’s official - Preston Campbell is the inaugural Gold Coast NRL Team’s first signing and the news has Gold Coast team management excited – the news setting the benchmark for future prospects for the Gold Coast team.

Managing Director Michael Searle said, “It is with great pride and anticipation that we can have our inaugural signing being a player that represents everything that our city wants its players to be.”

“We have said that our greatest priority is to employ the man first and his ability as a rugby league player second. With Preston Campbell we not only get a great human being but we also get an unbelievably exciting and talented rugby league player.”

“Preston Campbell is not only a fantastic rugby league player but also a great family man and having him, Lee and their children Taylah and Jayden come back will be exciting for this city’s youth, as they can look up to him with respect and admiration.”

Campbell, on the Gold Coast for the announcement said, “It is special, the fact that they still think of me up this way and it is a big honour for me to be the first player the club is signing. I’ve actually been looking forward to this since the Chargers were taken out of the competition in 1998. I was always hoping that they would get a team up here and now it has happened. The opportunity to get the chance to finish my career where I started doesn’t come along that often so for that I’m grateful.”

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is over the moon with the club’s first signing. He said, “Preston is a player we have had our eyes on for some time. He brings people to the game, sponsors to the game and it is great to have a player of his quality as our first signing. He is in the midst of a tremendous career and it is a great story that he will be able to finish his NRL career where it started – on the Gold Coast.”

The new club’s Football Manager Scott Sattler played with Campbell at both the Gold Coast Chargers (Campbell’s Debut NRL club) and Penrith where the two were a part of the 2003 Premiership winning team.

Sattler is again looking forward to working with Preston. “I played with him in his first 1st grade game. I would love to be there with him in his last albeit in a different capacity. I think I know what makes Preston tick better than most. He possesses the qualities that we want at this club. He’s tenacious, he has a passion for the city and most of all he has great stability off the field.”

Today’s announcement officially heralds the start of the team building with more exciting news to follow in coming weeks

innsaneink

Referee
I just heard on TalkinSport permission to talk was granted by Panthers AND the NRL, its a complicated process when youre unaware.

I'll take it upon myself on behalf of Wests Tigers to declare Nick Graham someone that needs talking too, someone?...anyone? please.

Eelectrica

Referee
Clubs giving players permission to negotiate before the deadline is nothing new.
Full credit though to Penrith for Allowing Preston sign with them for just one year in order for him to return to the Gold Coast.

DIEHARD

----
How fantastic is it to have Preston on board.

Things have gone full circle, Preston was a member of the old Gold Coast Chargers team and now he is the first signing of the new Gold Coast team.

That is good karma.

DIEHARD

----
Tamazoid said:
What's the bet he gets screwed over and the captaincy is used to lure Harrison or Priddis?

Would Campbell want to be captain? Harrison would make a fantastic captain.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Pistol said:
Berrigan isnt locked away yet??? He would be the signing of the century if the Gold Coast could get him. Its amazing the Broncos havent resigned him. But he probably will stay given his affinity to Wayne Bennett and the close relationship they have.

No he (S. Berrigan) has not resigned yet, though expected in the coming days.

As for Preston Campbell as captain? IMO, no. Ashley Harrison (after one year in Brisbane) will sign and be a great innaugral captain. Harrison has been great for Souths and is a true "leader of men", more so IMO than Fletcher at Souths though thats a whole other argument.

Ashley Harrison (c) of Gold Coast in 2007.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Good to hear. The Gold Coast franchise will be my #2 side (nobody unseats the Knights, no matter how bad we're playing)- and it's great to see them get a top shelf player right off the bat. His presence will ensure that, even if they're not competitive week in and week out, they'll always be exciting to watch.

Latest posts