What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price predicts double loss

The Colonel

Immortal
Price predicts double loss
By Dean Ritchie
November 26, 2004

RAY PRICE, one of Australia's greatest dual internationals, last night forecast a British whitewash in high-profile rugby league and union Test matches this weekend.

"It could be a very bleak weekend," predicted Price, who played 22 Tests for the Kangaroos and eight Tests for the Wallabies.

"My heart always wants Australia to win but I have concerns with both matches.

"The Poms can get us in both codes on the same weekend - I don't think that has happened in a long while."

While Price is pessimistic about Australia's prospects, another former dual international, Michael O'Connor, reckons Australia will win both Tests.

Australia's Kangaroos play Great Britain in the Tri-Nations final before a capacity 40,000 crowd at Elland Road, Leeds, on Sunday morning (AEDT).

At the same time in London, the Wallabies play England at Twickenham in a World Cup final replay.

Australia will start favourites in the league; England in the union.

But Price is unconcerned with betting odds - he is more worried about coach Wayne Bennett picking the strongest side and the Wallabies' tight-five woes.

"I think the Poms can win in the league - I really do," Price said yesterday.

"We have taken a few poor options in the series and missed a lot of tackles.

"The Poms have mixed it with us and they haven't done that in a long time.

"I also still think Mark O'Meley has to be in there.

"It eats away at me that Petero Civoniceva is in the side ahead of O'Meley, who was the competition's form front-rower this year."

Price stressed that Wallabies coach Eddie Jones' tight-five was the area England will target.

"Although they are small, our back row do the job every time they play but there are concerns there about our tight-five," Price said. "Look where opposition teams

attack - through the tight-five.

"If they had any respect for our tight-five they would attack our backs. But they don't go near our backline."

Price said the weekend could ensure national misery.

"Australia never give in no matter what sport," Price said.

"But Britain have the runs on the board in both codes."

O'Connor, however, is tipping successive Aussie victories.

"I think the loss to Great Britain in the league a fortnight ago will actually be good for the Kangaroos," he said yesterday.

"They will be under pressure and will rise to that.

"[Having] Darren Lockyer back will be a huge boost - he knows how to win the big games and the players will rally around him."

On the rugby union, O'Connor said: "The Wallabies spent a lot of time and effort preparing for this tour.

"The tour won't be deemed a failure if they can beat England.

"They will miss Stephen Larkham injured but it is still a good Wallabies backline.

"Morgan Turinui coming in is good.

"I just think the Wallabies will have more flair in the backs."

'Lose at your peril'
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11497920-23217,00.html
The Daily Telegraph

Ritchie is digging deep into his little black book.