What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priorities

adamkungl

Immortal
It's sadly clear from the recent announcements about the NRL and Origin reschedule that the Kangaroos and Internationals are a distant 3rd priority.
I'm happy we're even getting a season but its disappointing to see test football yet again left for whatever scraps remain at the end.

I don't expect a decision, there are obviously roadblocks with world travel right now that make it unlikely anyway, but I don't think its too much to expect a whole of game approach and provide a timely update along with the other two pillars of the game.

When they moved the season and SOO over the top of the planned Kangaroo Tour, did they even remember it exists?
It would be fine to take it into consideration, decide it isn't practical, and announce its cancellation or that they are considering options. But my suspicion is it didn't even factor into the conversation.

Tests picking up the last scraps of time and money is no way to run an international sport.
We can pretend this is just due to the uncertainty around coronavirus, but this has been consistent for at least 15 years.
There are obvious financial reasons why it is a 3rd priority, but it could at least be a close 3rd rather than a total afterthought. A whole of game approach to club, state, and international football would benefit all.

siv

First Grade
Hopefully we can get the Oceania Cup & Shield series and a Australia v NZ test after

Perth Tiger

Bench
Probably best bet for this year is to also try an arrange a three test series between NZ and Tonga to play alongside SOO, given all of their players would be from the NRL.

You could try and incorporate Samoa somehow in a tri series but I cant see PNG players getting exemption to travel and I'm not sure if Fiji could field a team solely of NRL players.

Then start fresh in 2021

adamkungl

Immortal
Probably best bet for this year is to also try an arrange a three test series between NZ and Tonga to play alongside SOO, given all of their players would be from the NRL.

You could try and incorporate Samoa somehow in a tri series but I cant see PNG players getting exemption to travel and I'm not sure if Fiji could field a team solely of NRL players.

Then start fresh in 2021

Maybe.

I'd appreciate an official rundown of what they're considering and what needs to happen. Are they willing to play in December? Will they try to fulfill the Kangaroo Tour if borders open by a certain date?

We got daily updates on "NRL Island" ffs and they charged ahead and planned a return before governments or their own broadcasters knew what was going on, so the "shrug we dont know anything until the government tells us" excuse doesnt really fly.

langpark

First Grade
RLEF has not cancelled anything, with Euro A, B, C, D nations all stating they are willing to wait longer to see how the situation unfolds, before postponing/cancelling anything. That is a positive sign, because that is 17 international matches right there.

adamkungl

Immortal
RLEF has not cancelled anything, with Euro A, B, C, D nations all stating they are willing to wait longer to see how the situation unfolds, before postponing/cancelling anything. That is a positive sign, because that is 17 international matches right there.

Yeah
We've actually heard a lot more from countries with tiny league scenes, suffering severe outbreaks, than we have about the Kangaroos.

I expect international footy will go ahead as close to plan as can be managed... and the Kangaroos will be sitting on the sideline as usual.

yakstorm

First Grade
I'm sure lack of clarity from the UK hasn't helped the scenario. With so many involved in Super League making claims like they'll play until December, or use Tottenham's booking for the SL Grand Final, I'm sure whatever little thought was given to the Kangaroos tour was dismissed with the NRL assuming that the UK will be prioritising their domestic competition as well.

In fairness to the IRL / RLEF / APRL, none of the major competitions this year have been cancelled. The Asia Pacific RL has communicated to all nations involved in the Oceania Cup that they still intend on having the tournament played this November, whilst as @langpark has mentioned, the RLEF has not cancelled/postponed anything outside of the Euro U19s.

As for the Kangaroos... technically Nine & Fox have the rights for one game against the Kiwis this year, so I'd imagine that Test will take place... not sure beyond that... I would have suggested that maybe the Roos would join the Oceania Cup, but if Origin is being played into November, then I imagine that both tournaments will be running concurrently.

roughyedspud

Coach
If I was the RFL I'd sue the f**k out of the ARLC/NRL over the ashes...

Contracts have been signed with sponsors,venues & broadcaster...and tickets have been sold...

The Great Dane

First Grade
If I was the RFL I'd sue the f**k out of the ARLC/NRL over the ashes...

Contracts have been signed with sponsors,venues & broadcaster...and tickets have been sold...
LOL, you can’t be f**king serious!

I’d love to see how that’d go in court, ‘we know there was a giant pandemic that threw the whole world out of whack, and that all borders were closed so they couldn’t travel even if they wanted too, but your honour, contracts were signed and tickets sold’.

jim_57

Staff member

Then start fresh in 2021

Fiji could pretty easily field a team from players based in Australia & NZ. PNG probably could as well but without Hunters and England based players they'd be understrength.

roughyedspud

Coach
LOL, you can’t be f**king serious!

I’d love to see how that’d go in court, ‘we know there was a giant pandemic that threw the whole world out of whack, and that all borders were closed so they couldn’t travel even if they wanted too, but your honour, contracts were signed and tickets sold’.

Boarders won't be closed in 6months

roughyedspud

Coach
Just watch....come Sept-Oct There'll be countless players,coaches,officials and journalists saying we should have found a way to play have the ashes..

The Great Dane

First Grade
Boarders won't be closed in 6months
Unless in the next 4-5 months a vaccine is created or a cure is found, and it'd be unprecedented for a vaccine or reliable cure for a new disease to be created that quickly, there's next to no chance that boarders will be open in 6 months.

Considering how badly the UK government has bungled containing the virus, I think our government will be particularly cautious of opening the borders to the UK (among others).
Just watch....come Sept-Oct There'll be countless players,coaches,officials and journalists saying we should have found a way to play have the ashes..
Maybe in pommyland, down here it wouldn't have been the headline story even if it had gone ahead as planned...

jim_57

Staff member
I think any cross-continent games are unlikely this year. At best we might be able to scrape together some regional games/tournaments.