What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priority re-signings for next year

lucablight

First Grade
Here is a list of Eels players who are coming off contract at the end of 2009.

David Baumann
Josh Cordoba
Joe Galuvao
Matt Keating
Kevin Kingston
Todd Lowrie
Tim Mannah
Fuifui Moimoi
Greg Nichols
Matt Raftery
Joel Reddy
Callan Richardson
Jeff Robson
Tim Robinson
Taulima Tautai

Out of these players which ones would you consider priority re-signings? For me it would be

Fuifui Moimoi - Re-sign him tomorrow! If we lose him we are in big trouble.

Joel Reddy- He has been very good for us lately.

For a few of the others the jury is still out for me and the rest I would be moving them on.

I would also like to add that Mateo, Hayne, Inu and Hindmarsh are all coming off contract next year and I would be trying to extend their deals this year as well if possible.

Your thoughts?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Whens the great Burtie Beetle off contract?
Apparently not until the end of next season :roll:

Same with Cayless, Oake, and Hauraki.

That'll be the year that we have 'cash to splash' I guess...

Of the guys off contract, Baumann, Nichols, Raftery, Richardson and Robinson are not part of the top 25 - so they're not going to free up any cash under the salary cap.

Based on past media speculation etc, we can probably guess at the following values:

Josh Cordoba - 180k
Joe Galuvao - ?70k (was supposedly on a 2nd tier contract?)
Matt Keating - 120k
Kevin Kingston - ?60k
Todd Lowrie - 70k
Tim Mannah - 70k
Fuifui Moimoi - 250k
Joel Reddy - 120k
Jeff Robson - ?60k
Tim Robinson - 70k
Taulima Tautai - 100k (got a 50k pay rise last season)

That's $1.17million to spend (that'd be within 10% - so let's say a mill at worst).
Unfortunately we'll have to use some of that to renew the deals of some of those guys - MoiMoi deserves the same money again (and might get better offers); Reddy will probably pick up an extra 20-30k; Mannah is looking at an extra 100k if he stays in first grade all season.

I'd keep:
Joe Galuvao - 120k
Matt Keating - 120k
Tim Mannah - 160k
Fuifui Moimoi - 250k
Joel Reddy - 150k
Tim Robinson - 70k

That's 870k - which (according to my rudimentary calculations) gives us about 200-300k to spend.

So basically we can add one quality first grader who is (at best) a fringe origin player!

Great...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Out of that lot Fui is the only must IMO. Reddy has been very good for us this year and we should try to keep him. Baumann,Robinson and Mannah are all promising but shouldn't be holding us to ransom.

lingard

Coach
Apparently not until the end of next season :roll:

Same with Cayless, Oake, and Hauraki.

That'll be the year that we have 'cash to splash' I guess...

Of the guys off contract, Baumann, Nichols, Raftery, Richardson and Robinson are not part of the top 25 - so they're not going to free up any cash under the salary cap.

Based on past media speculation etc, we can probably guess at the following values:

Josh Cordoba - 180k
Joe Galuvao - ?70k (was supposedly on a 2nd tier contract?)
Matt Keating - 120k
Kevin Kingston - ?60k
Todd Lowrie - 70k
Tim Mannah - 70k
Fuifui Moimoi - 250k
Joel Reddy - 120k
Jeff Robson - ?60k
Tim Robinson - 70k
Taulima Tautai - 100k (got a 50k pay rise last season)

That's $1.17million to spend (that'd be within 10% - so let's say a mill at worst).
Unfortunately we'll have to use some of that to renew the deals of some of those guys - MoiMoi deserves the same money again (and might get better offers); Reddy will probably pick up an extra 20-30k; Mannah is looking at an extra 100k if he stays in first grade all season.

I'd keep:
Joe Galuvao - 120k
Matt Keating - 120k
Tim Mannah - 160k
Fuifui Moimoi - 250k
Joel Reddy - 150k
Tim Robinson - 70k

That's 870k - which (according to my rudimentary calculations) gives us about 200-300k to spend.

So basically we can add one quality first grader who is (at best) a fringe origin player!

Great...

So, obviously the Parramatta Rugby League Team is a work in progress. A situation that has been brought about by Brian Smith`s bloody-minded and stubborn approach to player recruitment and retention. If you don`t believe me, just watch what happens at Newcastle in the next few years.
Just don`t trundle out the old "It`s all Michael Hagan`s fault" bullsh*t. He had f**k-all to do with it. Remember it was Hagan - not Smith - who brought Reddy, Inu and Hayne into first grade. Smith was too stubborn to give them a go. And he wanted to get rid of Mateo as well. The guy was a micro-managing control freak, who couldn`t handle listening to any suggestions unless they were his own. I`m sorry, but I am so over this blaming of Michael Hagan. He`s one of the few good guys, it seems to me.

spiderdan

Bench
So, obviously the Parramatta Rugby League Team is a work in progress. A situation that has been brought about by Brian Smith`s bloody-minded and stubborn approach to player recruitment and retention. If you don`t believe me, just watch what happens at Newcastle in the next few years.
Just don`t trundle out the old "It`s all Michael Hagan`s fault" bullsh*t. He had f**k-all to do with it. Remember it was Hagan - not Smith - who brought Reddy, Inu and Hayne into first grade. Smith was too stubborn to give them a go. And he wanted to get rid of Mateo as well. The guy was a micro-managing control freak, who couldn`t handle listening to any suggestions unless they were his own. I`m sorry, but I am so over this blaming of Michael Hagan. He`s one of the few good guys, it seems to me.
one of my criticisms of brian was that he bought too many players and let go of our guys (eg. tonga).

re: reddy, hayne and inu - they were all stil kids while brian was in charge. hayne got his start under jt, not hagan. inu was in line for an nrl start before hayne (under brian smith) except that he, from memory, fractured his shoulder blade and was out until the prems grand final in 06. mateo got a start under brian but i think brian had a problem with mateo's (then) lazy defensive attitude.

if i had to rate our coaches since hilditch, hagan would be the worst and most overpaid.

salvy71

Juniors

Brian Smith has had nothing to do with recruitment and retention since they gave him the arse in 2005 .
The last time he had any say in recruitment we got the likes of Tahu , Morrison , PJ , Riddell etc ...all in their prime ......

salvy71

Juniors
one of my criticisms of brian was that he bought too many players and let go of our guys (eg. tonga).

re: reddy, hayne and inu - they were all stil kids while brian was in charge. hayne got his start under jt, not hagan. inu was in line for an nrl start before hayne (under brian smith) except that he, from memory, fractured his shoulder blade and was out until the prems grand final in 06. mateo got a start under brian but i think brian had a problem with mateo's (then) lazy defensive attitude.

if i had to rate our coaches since hilditch, hagan would be the worst and most overpaid.

I'll agree with that , Smith did tend to let go of a lot of juniors and seemed to turn over a lot of players ......but he inherited a rabble in 1997 and at least made us competitive .......

caylo

Bench
Need to keep: Fuifui Moimoi,Tim Mannah, Joe Galuvao, Matt Keating, Tim Robinson

Would like to keep; Joel Reddy (been one of our best backs, but so many coming throu), Callan Richardson (could be a great first grade centre/fullback), Greg Nichols (heard good things), David Baumann (prefer Lewis and Robenson TBH)

Go looking for: A quality hooker/half (with creativity or trust in Mitchell, Mortimore and Kelly), a Big Prop and Backrower
Disgard Finch by the end of the year, and Maybe take Cayless with him. I would love to keep Cayless, btu on $400K he is holding us back IMO. If Finch and Cayless where sent to England, we could probably be in the market for atleast 2 quality rep players.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach

You're a complete, absolute and utter goose.

I actually do remember who brought Reddy, Inu and Hayne into first grade.
Jason Taylor brought Hayne into first grade the week after he replaced Smith. Smith then came out in the media and said "well I wasn't allowed to pick him" - Smith claimed he would have chosen Hayne but wasn't allowed.

How does that stack up with his record of bringing juniors into first grade? Hm - lets see, off the top of my head:
He brought this Hindmarsh kid (and his brother) into first grade. The same story for Cayless (and his brother).
Then there's this Tim Smith kid.
Ben Smith
Luke Burt
Eric Grothe jr
Joel Reddy
David Vaealiki
Jamie Lyon
Willie Tonga
Ashley Graham
Chad Robinson
Fui Fui Moi Moi
Michael Hodgson

That's just 2 seconds worth of thinking - there's definitely others (Dallas Weston, Paul Carige etc) - they weren't all good players, but Smith clearly brought them from our junior ranks into the first grade squad.

We were a complete joke, Smith turned us professional and we won 2 minor premierships and made the final 4 teams 6 times in the 10 years he was here. And we did that because he brought through juniors and recruited where he didn't see a junior capable of filling a spot.

Looking at his history it's not unfair to believe his claim that he 'wasn't allowed' to bring Hayne into first grade.

You may have noticed on my list there that it was actually Smith who gave Reddy his first crack at the top grade. In fact he picked him at fullback and replaced Burt with Reddy until Reddy broke his hip - a shame, because Reddy was fantastic back in 2005 (didn't look so crash hot in 2006 on his return from injury, hence his reserve grade status.)

As for Inu - well, yes, brought him in - but it wasn't a bold selection or anything, you or I would've made that choice...

There's some mysterious theory that Brian Smith doesn't bring through juniors... just look at the Knights squad for this weekend?!?! Junior Sau; James McManus; Mark Tauafa; Akuila Uate; Scott Dureau; Marvin Karawana. 6 guys in that team that he has already brought through from the junior ranks.
And there were plenty of others in the last couple of years up there.

Just check Hagan's history of taking a club in strong position and running it into the dirt - he did it at Newie, and luckily he only had 2 seasons here!

You're a goose.
/end rant.

Beez

Juniors
Nathan Friend from the Titans is also of contract at the end of the year. We could let Kingston go and make a play for Friend instead. He's a great little hooker.

I'm not that convinced with Matt Keating to be honest, he's not the litle Terrier we need in the number 9 jersey. Nathan Friend would be perfect.

Nathan Friend and a good prop like Justin Poore along with Fui would be a good front row.

We could just backdate their payments so they get more money after their first year & second years. Hopefully Cayless & Finch would then go somehow & free up extra money.

I'm sick of relying on our juniors, I'd like to see some fresh faces from outside the club join the Eels.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Anyone watching the roast???? Pretty much said we could get the spoon. Absolutely bagged the club and the culture. Sadly couldn't disagree with anything they said.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Nathan Friend

We could just backdate their payments so they get more money after their first year & second years. Hopefully Cayless & Finch would then go somehow & free up extra money.

I'm sick of relying on our juniors, I'd like to see some fresh faces from outside the club join the Eels.

"backdating" (or backloading?) contracts is a great idea. We have a stack of cash coming off the books at the end of 2010 - so offering 100k for year 1 and then 200k for year 2 could be an idea. I don't think the NRL has rules about 'maximum raises' and the like.

I agree with you about relying on juniors so heavily - it's what got us into trouble in the 90s. We certainly have plenty of talented youngsters - but not every single one of them has the right attributes to play NRL - body size; extra speed etc.
As I said before, I think B Smith had it right in that he brought in 'veterans' to fill neccessary spots and used them to ease the talented youngsters into the top grade.

Anderson's done a great job building teams elsewhere - I think the next few years could be a good time to be an Eels fan!

big boppa eel

Juniors
We miss PJ Marsh big time, his big hits that put our forwards to shame and his work out of dummy half and his biggest asset enthusiasm, a real shame he is in the Queensland Cup wasting away.

hindy111

Post Whore
ok we play one bad game and we going to get the spoon...Settle down everyone
Far out we can still turn it around... We need some tweaking
hey where 2 from 2 whith lowrie in team-So bring him back fellas

Eels Dude

Coach
"backdating" (or backloading?) contracts is a great idea. We have a stack of cash coming off the books at the end of 2010 - so offering 100k for year 1 and then 200k for year 2 could be an idea. I don't think the NRL has rules about 'maximum raises' and the like.

I don't necessarily agree. The reason we've lost so many quality players over the last 2 seasons yet signed no-one is due to backloading contracts. Backloading contracts works in the short term, but you pay the price for it later.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
David Baumann - depends how he goes this year, maybe we have to many back rowers
Josh Cordoba - I am Catholic so maybe miracles do occur if not , let him go
Joe Galuvao - I like him, maybe getting to old. Would resign if for the right price
Matt Keating - I don't think we would get a better hooker considering who is off contract. Lets not forget it is only his second year in the NRL. Would resign for one year to give Mitchell a chance to be blooded
Kevin Kingston - no
Todd Lowrie - He has been ok this year. He has experience so depends on price
Tim Mannah - People expect to much, has just made made his first debut, has gone alright without being great. Will get better with experience, has the right build and attitude. He is an investment in the future. Front rowers don't breed like rabits. He is a must resign, if not I reckon in 3-4 years we will be crying
Fuifui Moimoi - Give him a blank cheque
Greg Nichols - see how he does this year
Matt Raftery - have no idea
Joel Reddy - Resign, type of player every club needs. A solid player without being a superstar, is not expensive and can play winger, centre and fullback (I reckon his best postion)
Callan Richardson - see how he goes this year
Jeff Robson - no
Tim Robinson - I hear he has potential, have never seen him play, depends how he goes this year
Taulima Tautai - I really think Tautai has great potential. A hard runner of the ball. Another player which people want to be a superstar after 1 seson of NRL - only the super super stars do this. With experience he will make it eventually in the backrow. Must resign.

salvy71

Juniors
Anyone watching the roast???? Pretty much said we could get the spoon. Absolutely bagged the club and the culture. Sadly couldn't disagree with anything they said.

Tried recording it with IQ box ....bloody thing malfunctioned and all I got was a "failed" status when I tried to watch it ......had to reboot the box ....but if it keeps happening I'll boot the box out the window .........

bartman

Immortal
In priority order from the list above...

Moimoi
Galavou (because we need forwards)
Reddy
- - - - -
Matt Keating
Baumann
Robinson
- - - - -
Mannah... (don't really rate him yet)
Tautai...
Lowrie...
- - - - -
Not sure any of the rest require re-signing, not sure those out of the top 25 are ready or should make the jump into it just yet?