What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pro league to start 2013

deal.with.it

Juniors
And these pics show that the game under AMNRL stewardship is not progressing on a domestic level. Don't get me wrong, the international game is at a peak (u can argue about players not being picked and the aussie players) and the deal with Grand Prix Entertainment is yet to be determined what affect it will have ($250 000 a year for AMNRL - grassroots, domestic and tomahawks).
But for f**ks sake! This ground is attrocious! If i turned up to play in group 2 CRL (NSW Country Footy) one weekend and this is the field i was to play on, the game would not go ahead! (As much as diving in the puddle in the corner to score a try would be fun).
I take on board what the BC Sharks lad has said, but i mean, none of the USARL teams have a problem.

I dont think his should be a USARL/AMNRL debate, but i guess everything on here turns into that. I dont think every team or even the comp should be condemed because of one field. Yes the field was bad, but it doesnt reflect on everyone else thats just fishing for things to complain about. the visiting teams could have refused to play because of it ,but what does that say about the team who refuses? you just play. Some teams in the USARL are very lucky for their home grounds but only 1 or two have pro like amenities and that goes for both comps. The point i was trying to make was because this isnt a pro sport we work with what we have. Hopefully if this goes pro these problems will be taken care of. with all of that said i do think it was not ideal playing conditions and this was a worst case senario kinda thing.

Last edited:

Rampart66

Juniors
The only way to grow sports is through grassroots. There is no shortcut. People need to be exposed to the sport, but the initial exposure needs be from the elite competitions. League lacks grassroots, financial, and media support in the US. How does this bloke think TV networks will lap it up?

I had to address this first. You've made the case for Grand Prix Entertainment with this statement. The players are there. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of players ready to play the sport.

Money solves a lot of problems (and I mean A LOT of problems). How many teams would there be if travel wasn't such a large problem. I'm sure that you would probaly have Texas and California teams (along with teams like Denver, Seattle and Utah) all in a unified league where distance doen't deter players from feilding a team.

We've seen the pictures of the venues. Would money be able to move teams into better facilities? Absolutely!

But, back to this quote. Yes, you need the elite cometition to draw in fans, new players and create a youth movement. Would the Rebellion or Fight have a youth league in their areas without their respective USARL teams. No, it doesn't make sense. Soccer is a strange exception in this country (Pre MLS), where you had so many kids playing youth soccer and the top tier league in the U.S. was the Major Indoor Soccer League.

Do I think that Grand Prix comes in and the U.s. becomes the next NRL? No...there's no way that that happens. But I think it has the possibility of moving the sport from something that looks like a Saturday pick up game to something that has more credibility.

Many of us have been to "pro" sporting events before (Football, Soccer, Baseball, Hockey in the U.S. or AFL, Cricket, Soccer/Football outside of the U.S.). Think about the presentation by these leagues and how they cater to the fans. Venues that have great amentities with things like food and merchandise vendors, Music, PA Announcements. Now look at the picture of the field in the post above.

The sport is solid. But when presented like a pick up game, it hurts the image. If Grand Prix Entertainment can fix that issue with some cash, then it's a good thing.

I know that their main thing seems to be the Union 7's competition. But I honestly don't see how you turn a game that lasts less than 20 minutes into a pro competition.

druzik

Juniors
Well, GPR is putting in $250k a year to the AMNRL right. No I would suspect that the AMNRL and Tomahawks would take up at least $50k or more of that a year to run?

Now that leaves $200k to be spread across 20 odd teams in the AMNRL to fund and do grass roots development so about $10k for each team... how much is this going to help each team?

druzik

Juniors
I had to address this first. You've made the case for Grand Prix Entertainment with this statement. The players are there. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of players ready to play the sport.

Money solves a lot of problems (and I mean A LOT of problems). How many teams would there be if travel wasn't such a large problem. I'm sure that you would probaly have Texas and California teams (along with teams like Denver, Seattle and Utah) all in a unified league where distance doen't deter players from feilding a team.

We've seen the pictures of the venues. Would money be able to move teams into better facilities? Absolutely!

But, back to this quote. Yes, you need the elite cometition to draw in fans, new players and create a youth movement. Would the Rebellion or Fight have a youth league in their areas without their respective USARL teams. No, it doesn't make sense. Soccer is a strange exception in this country (Pre MLS), where you had so many kids playing youth soccer and the top tier league in the U.S. was the Major Indoor Soccer League.

Do I think that Grand Prix comes in and the U.s. becomes the next NRL? No...there's no way that that happens. But I think it has the possibility of moving the sport from something that looks like a Saturday pick up game to something that has more credibility.

Many of us have been to "pro" sporting events before (Football, Soccer, Baseball, Hockey in the U.S. or AFL, Cricket, Soccer/Football outside of the U.S.). Think about the presentation by these leagues and how they cater to the fans. Venues that have great amentities with things like food and merchandise vendors, Music, PA Announcements. Now look at the picture of the field in the post above.

The sport is solid. But when presented like a pick up game, it hurts the image. If Grand Prix Entertainment can fix that issue with some cash, then it's a good thing.

I know that their main thing seems to be the Union 7's competition. But I honestly don't see how you turn a game that lasts less than 20 minutes into a pro competition.

Rampart I think that they are looking at a pro League 7s comp... I don't think the AMNRL or GPR have realised that the rest of the world has ditched 7s and 9s is the official Rugby league short format and that needs to be what the look at if they want to go down that path.

IowaRL

Juniors
Well, GPR is putting in $250k a year to the AMNRL right. No I would suspect that the AMNRL and Tomahawks would take up at least $50k or more of that a year to run?

Now that leaves $200k to be spread across 20 odd teams in the AMNRL to fund and do grass roots development so about $10k for each team... how much is this going to help each team?

That sort of money would allow us to buy 2 kits, upgrade our field (we would approach the local council with a development deal for proper posts) and ensure we had gear provided for a full team of players.

In terms of ground, we don't have a lot of funding, so are going with a cheaper option for home ground. We pay $25 a day, whereas anywhere else it'd be $25 an hour, plus lining fees. We know it isn't ideal, but it is what we can do for now.

Rampart66

Juniors
I'll say this for William Tatham...

He may come across as a used car salesman in regards to the answers that he's been giving, but let's face it, the guy is pro rugby.

He's been involved in pro sports before and he's assembled some very good and knowledgable people. Yes, it's understandable to be skeptical given the unfullfilled promises in the past, but there were never people involved that have had this kind of background.

The fact that 7s will be on NFL network (confirmed by NFL network - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...by-sevens-championships-to-air-on-nfl-network)), lends legitamicy to Grand Prix Entertainment.

They're jumping on the 7s bandwagon that NBC started in anticipation of the 2016 olympics. They probably feel that the 7s format is a version of rugby the the U.s. can be competitive. Of course 7s doesn't actually work as a "pro" sport where different cities have teams, since the games are so short. This is where Rugby League has a huge advantage. The sport is there, the players are there, but it has to be spruced up for an audience.

IowaRL is correct. $10,000 can go a long way toward any club. Most clubs operate between $10,000 - $50,000 (maybe more as I'm sure that Jacksonville's travel expenses are crazy). But 10K could ready give you a nice facility. And with a nice facility, you can draw fans and charge admission. With more fans, you can get more and better advertisers and sponsors. With the money from sponsors, you may be able to pay players.

It's a large cycle, but you have have to have money to make money (and make Rugby League more than what it now).

druzik

Juniors
That sort of money would allow us to buy 2 kits, upgrade our field (we would approach the local council with a development deal for proper posts) and ensure we had gear provided for a full team of players.

In terms of ground, we don't have a lot of funding, so are going with a cheaper option for home ground. We pay $25 a day, whereas anywhere else it'd be $25 an hour, plus lining fees. We know it isn't ideal, but it is what we can do for now.

That is a good summary ... even if the AMNRL/Tomahawks was 100k a year to run and subsidize it would take it down to 7.5k a year for each team.

IowaRL, I know you guys do it on what you can, everyone appreciates that and respects it. I know myself, setting up a sport in a new country from scratch with absolutely nothing, it is not an easy task. All the power to you mate... I may actually make it out to one of your matches this year yet!

mother rucker

Juniors
I would challange Mr. William Tatham. To show up unanounced to an Philly Bulls game. And see what he has invested in. Then do the same with an Jacksonville Axemen game. I wonder what his thoughts would be?

druzik

Juniors
I would challange Mr. William Tatham. To show up unanounced to an Philly Bulls game. And see what he has invested in. Then do the same with an Jacksonville Axemen game. I wonder what his thoughts would be?

can-of-worms.jpg

IowaRL

Juniors
That is a good summary ... even if the AMNRL/Tomahawks was 100k a year to run and subsidize it would take it down to 7.5k a year for each team.

IowaRL, I know you guys do it on what you can, everyone appreciates that and respects it. I know myself, setting up a sport in a new country from scratch with absolutely nothing, it is not an easy task. All the power to you mate... I may actually make it out to one of your matches this year yet!

If you were to come, we'd welcome you with open arms. This year won't be the best quality, but as the guys who are locals on the team now have never played any form of rugby, we WILL get better!

druzik

Juniors
If you were to come, we'd welcome you with open arms. This year won't be the best quality, but as the guys who are locals on the team now have never played any form of rugby, we WILL get better!

If anything, be the 7th July game as I will be heading out to Champaign Illinois around then anyway... which mean I would be round for the Grand Final as well.

IowaRL

Juniors
If anything, be the 7th July game as I will be heading out to Champaign Illinois around then anyway... which mean I would be round for the Grand Final as well.

Be careful with the announced schedule, we've had to move a few things around due to player and ground availability. If there is a game around then, it may be in Iowa (4 hour drive from Chicago). What is taking you to Champaign?

druzik

Juniors
Be careful with the announced schedule, we've had to move a few things around due to player and ground availability. If there is a game around then, it may be in Iowa (4 hour drive from Chicago). What is taking you to Champaign?

I work for UofI in the Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Engineering Dept. I am stationed at the Princeton Plasma Physics National lab, but once a month I need to go back to Chambana to do work.

I think Iowa City is a couple hours from me though.

Keep me posted on when the matches are.

druzik

Juniors

Actually MR, I was wanting to go see some bulls games and NOVA games, holey dooley are they out in the middle of nowhere!

I tried finding these places in Google Maps, It had problems, I needed to really narrow the searches.

The Eagles ground, there is no actual visible ground there so to speak, its in between a whole bunch of what I can only assume are equestrian courses?

Need to figure out how I will get from the Shark ground to the Bulls ground on Saturday?

It feels like these grounds are picked to be the ut most inconvenient for any fan to get to!

IowaRL

Juniors
I work for UofI in the Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Engineering Dept. I am stationed at the Princeton Plasma Physics National lab, but once a month I need to go back to Chambana to do work.

I think Iowa City is a couple hours from me though.

Keep me posted on when the matches are.

Think they would ever play Rugby League at the University? I'm in the shadows of the University of Iowa here, Both are Big 10, could be an opportunity. Even an informal clinic followed by a game would be pretty sweet.

druzik

Juniors
Think they would ever play Rugby League at the University? I'm in the shadows of the University of Iowa here, Both are Big 10, could be an opportunity. Even an informal clinic followed by a game would be pretty sweet.

Nahhh... I sort of susssed it out a bit last year. There is a very small Union team and comp but is not recognised by the Uni as such.

Illini are as Football mad as you get, hell their stadium holds nearly the whole population of the city! If it aint Football, Basketball or Gymnastics there, no one gives a rats about it.... volleyball this year got a run but only because we were spanking everyone.

the Football coach at Illinois gets paid more than the President of the University, $4.5m IIRC. He went 6-0 and then 0-6 and was sacked, yet the Uni will keep paying him the $4.5 till the end of his contract in 3 years while they pay the new guy also $4.5m

I really cannot see it taking off in such a town. Rugby union in Chambana has a really bad rep as well, being a bunch of drunk fools that go round getting naked and running round the streets and annoying women.

IowaRL

Juniors
Nahhh... I sort of susssed it out a bit last year. There is a very small Union team and comp but is not recognised by the Uni as such.

Illini are as Football mad as you get, hell their stadium holds nearly the whole population of the city! If it aint Football, Basketball or Gymnastics there, no one gives a rats about it.... volleyball this year got a run but only because we were spanking everyone.

the Football coach at Illinois gets paid more than the President of the University, $4.5m IIRC. He went 6-0 and then 0-6 and was sacked, yet the Uni will keep paying him the $4.5 till the end of his contract in 3 years while they pay the new guy also $4.5m

I really cannot see it taking off in such a town. Rugby union in Chambana has a really bad rep as well, being a bunch of drunk fools that go round getting naked and running round the streets and annoying women.
Sounds like most Big 10 schools. I know Nebraska has a stadium that when full (every game since the 60's) is the third largest place in the STATE. Iowa is Football mad too, but they do have a Union team, and a local Union team besides. Unfortunately, any bad news from one code will affect the other, so you pay for their mistakes. If the situation changes, let us know, we might be able to play an exhibition there (when we look more like a team).

druzik

Juniors
Sounds like most Big 10 schools. I know Nebraska has a stadium that when full (every game since the 60's) is the third largest place in the STATE. Iowa is Football mad too, but they do have a Union team, and a local Union team besides. Unfortunately, any bad news from one code will affect the other, so you pay for their mistakes. If the situation changes, let us know, we might be able to play an exhibition there (when we look more like a team).

Oh look, if anything happens it wont be from me, someone else will need to take up those reigns, I am based on the East Coast now, and if all goes well it will be my permanent base.

Plus my hands are busy with Polish Rugby League at the moment as well.

I'll need to start cloning myself soon I think just to get everything done and be able to sleep and function normally.

deluded pom?

Coach
I'll need to start cloning myself soon I think just to get everything done and be able to sleep and function normally.

I'm looking forward to that episode of the Simpsons. :lol: Careful dru, you know what happened in Multiplicity.