What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pronounciation of South Sydney Player's Names.

Frederick

Staff member
A couple of absolute stinkers in recent weeks

Masada Yossifer and Marvan Caruana (brother of Chris, I guess)

Iosefa= Ee-Ore (like the donkey in Winnie the Pooh)-Sear-Fah

Karawana- emphasise the second syllable, not the third.
The commentators in yesterdays game had trouble with Akuila Uate's (A-koo-la Oo-a-te) surname. The first half they were fine, referring to him as Uate, but in the second half he became Uake :?

Knight87

Juniors
SSTV

Obviously, with such a Kiwi contingent, it was necessary to clear it up. Some of them are near impossible to pronounce.
Vagana is apparently Vung-gana, Gulavao is Nulla-vow, and Jeremy Smith is actually Jer-e-me Smith...

Isn't it spelt pronunciation, not pronounciation? Not sure, but I think it is.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Yeah I realise I spelled pronunciation wrong, but what's this about Adelaide radio?

Surely a grammatical error on the Internet doesn't warrant further discussion.

shinobi

Juniors
I dont see how hard it is Ray Warren pronounces Faalogos name like 5 different ways in a single game.

Its pretty easy to remember the letter g in samoan is pronounced like ng in sing so:

Lagi Setu = Lung-ee Setu
David Faalogo = Fa-ahh-law-ngaw
Nigel Vagana = Va-nga-na
Sam Tagataese = Tah-nga-tah-eh-seh

I mean when we get to Fijian is where the problem is. For me at least. Civenociva is pronounced something like Thivehnothiva or something like that.

You just need to hear someone pronounce it a few times then its sweet.