What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS3 Launch date and price

Caged Panther

First Grade
Sony have annouonced an aust launch date of Nov 17 for the PS3. They didn't get quite so specific as to mention an aussie price but some quick currency conversions point to it being HIGH.

Two versions

20 Gig conversion sees it at approx $850.

&

60 Gig conversion sees it at approx $1000

Now c'mon people pick your jaws up off the floor.

Also note that the PS3 controller will have some motion sensing ability.

Frederick

Staff member
I wonder what the new ps3 controller is going to look like, seeing as they've dumped the boomerang model. Also, those prices are f**ked! Soon as ps3 comes out, I'll get an XBOX360, which hopefully would've come down in price by then. PS3 can wait another year or so.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Your currency conversions are wrong. Rounded out the 20gig version comes in at $650AU and the 60gig version at $780AU.

Captain_Fred. The 'new' controller is exactly the same as the PS1/2 control but it now has motion sensors in it like the Revolution control.

Frederick

Staff member
Chief_Chujo said:
Your currency conversions are wrong. Rounded out the 20gig version comes in at $650AU and the 60gig version at $780AU.
How did you get that? The prices are set for Europe at 499 and 599 euros, and I converted from that and it worked out to be 800 and 1000AUD

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Captain_Fred said:
How did you get that? The prices are set for Europe at 499 and 599 euros, and I converted from that and it worked out to be 800 and 1000AUD

Only prices I saw during the conference were the Japanese and US prices. US was set at 499 and 599. Maybe I missed Euro prices :?

Munky

Coach
Chief_Chujo said:
Only prices I saw during the conference were the Japanese and US prices. US was set at 499 and 599. Maybe I missed Euro prices :?

We will get Euro prices.

When the Ps2 was released it had a US$299 price tag.

Some how even though our currency was AU$1 for US50c we got it here for $750 instead of $600.

Frederick

Staff member
ps3controller-small.jpg

Well, there we go. Interesting to note that this controller won't have any vibration function.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Glad they reverted back to the old style pad. So use to it by now that anything else seems wierd.
Be interesting to see how the motion sensors hold up against the Wii. I'm thinking the Wii's will be better just because it seems like Sony have chucked this in at the last minute.
I assume the USB port on the pad is for charging but maybe also for peripherals(e.g. a mic or camera).

Razor

Coach
Only prices I saw during the conference were the Japanese and US prices. US was set at 499 and 599. Maybe I missed Euro prices

All game consoles are much cheaper in the US and Japan than Australia. Australia is closer to the European price.

An41

Juniors
Sony have a lot of thinking to do.

They will using blu ray drives, The first blu ray player is expected to be $US999.
and if the PS3 is hitting the shelves at $US400, more people will consider getting the PS3 just for the fact its cheaper and while there at it they'll have a game console aswell. Sony will already be making a loss off the console but make back that money off the games, but if consumers are just buying it for the blu ray player only then Sony wont be making any money.

They have a lot of thinking to do, they risk losing a lot of money or if it gets priced too high they risk losing consumers.

There is a review around somewhere explaining sony's difficulties with the PS3 pricing.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Captain_Fred said:
Well, there we go. Interesting to note that this controller won't have any vibration function.

No Vibration. That sux. I love ye old vibator. I don't notice it too much, but it does add to the gaming experience.

gaterooze

Bench
You seem to forget both the PS1 and PS2 had similar prices (~$800) when they were first released here, and they were still the biggest selling consoles.

When the big players like Sony introduce any new piece of hardware (gaming or otherwise), the first few months are set at gouging prices -- because they know there are a lot of people for whom money is not an issue. When that market has dried up, the price drops and, coinciding with the release of a plethora of better games, the next round begins.

It's been the standard practice for years, and it works just fine for them (and others).

However, I prefer Nintendo's model -- affordable from start to finish, no (or less) bullsh*t.

And I can tell you from sources, the prices Caged Panther gave are fairly close to the Aus pricing, although the 20gb model will be slightly cheaper.

Finally a piece of speculation -- the "motion sensing" in the PS3's pads will merely be a tilt sensor like in some Gameboy carts, nothing like the Wii.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
sweet thats cheaper then i thought it would be, ill buy it even though i have a 360.

MGS and the FF series alone could make any console worth that price.

Caged Panther

First Grade
gaterooze said:
Finally a piece of speculation -- the "motion sensing" in the PS3's pads will merely be a tilt sensor like in some Gameboy carts, nothing like the Wii.

Yeah it is, they demonstrated it at their Pre E3 press conference today.

Latest posts