What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS3 trouble or game trouble?

haha

Juniors
My ps3 updated to v2.79 from a FNR4 disc, it updated ok but when it installed the game data it stopped at 83%.
Now my ps3 wont read games or dvd's, is this a problem with my ps3 or could the game have caused it?

Thomas

First Grade
I'd say PS3.

Just do a reset, which is in the settings section on your PS3.

Mine did some weird stuff on the weekend and I had no sounds. All the settings got scrambled so I reset it.

Also try downloading the latest PS3 update onto a memory stick and update your PS3 that way

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
My ps3 updated to v2.79 from a FNR4 disc, it updated ok but when it installed the game data it stopped at 83%.
Now my ps3 wont read games or dvd's, is this a problem with my ps3 or could the game have caused it?

Unfortunately this is a PS3 hardware problem. This fault is not uncommon with the PS3, it is the Sony version of the "red ring of death".

Normally it occurs exactly as you stated you are playing a game (or loading it) and as it reads from disk the PS3 freezes and hangs. The only way to get it to start again is a reset, but the reset actually kills your PS3.

When the PS3 comes back up it will not read any disc (DVD, blue-ray, cd) EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

If your PS3 is under warranty call Sony and they will get you to do three tests. 1 - Firmware roll back 2 - Factory Restore 3 - Special hardware reset. Sony tech I spoke with admited 1 out of every 100 are fixed with these.

Once all tests fail they will give you a pre-paid return address and number to use at any post office and then they will send you a pre-repaired unit. Takes about 1-3 weeks to get a replacement unit.

if you're out of warranty they will fix it for $150

If it happens again apparently do not restart the PS3 actually kill the power at the hard switch on the back. This has a 50-50 chance of saving your gear.

Thankfully after I had my first unit replaced like this it has not happened again in 12 months. (now that said this it will fail tonight :()

tokerShark

Juniors
gee you guys just threw a spanner in the works for me, i was just about to go buy a ps3 coz my 360 just fuct up for the 3rd or 4th time but it doesnt sound like ps3 is much better.

Thomas

First Grade
I've never heard of anyone having a problem with their PS3.

360 on the other hand? Every person I know who's had one has had the RRoD...

Little striker

Juniors
I know of the problems that you mean with the 360 with the RROD, especially with the hardware types, little red lights shine up...:twisted:
Well my friends that have a PS3 never had that sort of problem, I'm very curious.

Elephant Hunter

Juniors

Latest posts