What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pumkin. Is it a Fruit or a Vegetable?

Pumpkin - Fruit or Vegetable?

• Dude I don't know - Hell I don't even like pumpkin!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vegetable

• Fruit

• Total voters

Andy

First Grade
Well is it a fruit or is it a vegetable...?

The fact that it has seeds, and grows on a vine tells me that it's a fruit, but I've always associated it with vegetables.

What do you reckon?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm pretty sure only tomato (formerly known as the apple of death) is a fruit that looks like a vegetable. Could be wrong though. I'm no horticulturalist.

The Colonel

Immortal
Definition: [n] usually large pulpy deep-yellow round fruit of the squash family maturing in late summer or early autumn
[n] a coarse vine widely cultivated for its non-keeping large pulpy round orange fruit with firm orange skin and numerous seeds; subspecies of Cucurbita pepo include the summer squashes and a few autumn squashes

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/pumpkin

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Fruitman arrives just in time to stop the evil vegetableman spreading his horrible disinformation.
Can Fruitman stop the evil vegetableman in time?
Stay tuned for our next episode of Fruitman champion of the Fruits ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Mr Angry said:
Fruitman arrives just in time to stop the evil vegetableman spreading his horrible disinformation.
Can Fruitman stop the evil vegetableman in time?
Stay tuned for our next episode of Fruitman champion of the Fruits ;-)

Where ever disinformation exists regarding the fruits of the world I will stamp out the problem! :D :p

Misanthrope

Staff member
lmao. Well colour me corrected.

Fruitman, can you find anything to substantiate my 'apple of death' claims regarding the humble tomato? I'm sure I read it somewhere.

The_Ben

Juniors
A pumpkin is defined as a fruit under dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pumpkin

However, when meself, and my brother jimbob and cletus were growing up on the farm, we always used to say "Dam those pumpkins are getting big this year pop, maybe we should take em to the show for the vegetable growing contest"

But pop didn't blink an eyelid, he just used those dammed pumpkins for laterns on Halloween. He said they were the best darned vegetable around.

The Colonel

Immortal
chriswalkerbush said:
lmao. Well colour me corrected.

Fruitman, can you find anything to substantiate my 'apple of death' claims regarding the humble tomato? I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Something in there regarding fruits and vegetables..... hence Mr Angry's reference to Fruiitman....... :lol:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/viewtopic.php?t=43688&highlight=

Also...

A CAUTIOUS BEGINNING

The first known occasion of tomatoes being grown in Britain was in 1554 but they were cultivated as ornamentals climbing plants. Despite the fact that the tomato was already a popular foodstuff in Spain and Italy, the Elizabethans thought that the bright red colour of tomatoes was a warning signal and believed them to be poisonous. The famous 16th Century herbalist John Gerard described tomatoes as “of ranke and stinking savour”.

Despite the appearance of the first British tomato recipe in the 1758 edition of Hannah Glasse’s popular The Art of Cookery, suspicions about the tomato’s edibility remained and even crossed the Atlantic when the tomato headed back west. In one of the earliest recorded publicity stunts in 1820, a grower named Colonel Robert Gibbon Johnson announced he would eat a whole bushel of tomatoes in public to prove they were safe to eat. A crowd of thousands turned up to watch Colonel Johnson perform this feat on the steps on the Boston courthouse and were apparently shocked and not a little disappointed when he didn’t drop down dead.

http://www.nfu.org.uk/stellentdev/groups/public/documents/ianda/theloveapple_ia41500675-9.hcsp

This may help your claims too.

Johns-All-Day

Juniors
Well I'm not going to be adding pumpkin to my fruit salad any time soon. So for mine it's still a vegetable! And a disgusting one at that.

Parki

Bench
i dont care what it is...... its way yuck and shouldnt be considered for anything

KF

Juniors
A pumpkin is a fruit used as a vegetable..same with a tomato. But i have this totally stubborn friend who refuses to believe a tomato is a fruit even after everyone told him it is one and gave him evidence as well. :roll:

astrogirl

First Grade
I took the "Dude I don't know - Hell I don't even like pumpkin!" response.

Pumpkin is fairly unenjoyable as far as I'm concerned!

I love pumpkin mmmm with the skin and I cook with the rest of da vegetables so I say its a Vegie.....oh and pumpkin soup is delicious :evil:

Latest posts