What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchases for next season

lockyno1

Post Whore
Look I think our actual side is pretty sound but there are a few in the top grade particularly after last nights performance that need to ship out.

OUT

Seymour, proved he is really useless.
Carlaw- need I say more
Bott- f..k he is useless

Purchases (possible)

Brent Webb
Dean Widders
Michael Witt (yes you heard it. At least he can defend better than seymour, plus we have a goalkicker at 90%)

Any other suggestions?

BrisVegas

Juniors
In The Courier Mail a week or two ago they had an interview with someone from the Broncos about their thoughts on player recruitment and retainment in regards to the June 30 trade date. They stated that they were happy with the talent coming through, and the only purchases they would look for is a halfback to add some depth in the halves, and perhaps a foward to replace Webcke.

I agree that Seymour needs to go, he doesn't add anything in attack and is useless is defence. When is his contract up?

Bott and Minto can both go as well, between Tame Toupu, Steve Micheals and Darrius Boyd we have the wings covered with Eastwood or Anderson able to fill in at short notice.

I think Perry is doing well in the No. 7, he is solid defensivly and is placing the majority of his kicks well. A no frills player that allow Lockyer to do his thing.

Perhaps Hunt could move to the No. 7 next year and Boyd could be moved to fullback?

Our forward pack should be good for the next few years with the juniors coming through.

Daza_06

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Look I think our actual side is pretty sound but there are a few in the top grade particularly after last nights performance that need to ship out.

OUT

Seymour, proved he is really useless.
Carlaw- need I say more
Bott- f..k he is useless

Purchases (possible)

Brent Webb
Dean Widders
Michael Witt (yes you heard it. At least he can defend better than seymour, plus we have a goalkicker at 90%)

Any other suggestions?
if u are going to purchase Webb and Witt where are they goin 2 play??? Don't think Dean Widders would be bought. I would buy either Witt or Webb but not both

salivor

First Grade
Your officially a fruitloop and banned from the FOSF for suggesting Witt as a replacement, hell I'd rate Seymour above that Hack, the only thing he offers is goalkicking and we already have options in Ennis and Parker.

Brent Webb is a waste of space as well as we already have Hunt, the Qld and Australian fullback.

Widders is about the only decent option you mentioned but another big bopper is the last thing we need especially when we've got Thaiday coming off the bench.

lockyno1

Post Whore
salivor said:
Your officially a fruitloop and banned from the FOSF for suggesting Witt as a replacement, hell I'd rate Seymour above that Hack, the only thing he offers is goalkicking and we already have options in Ennis and Parker.

Brent Webb is a waste of space as well as we already have Hunt, the Qld and Australian fullback.

Widders is about the only decent option you mentioned but another big bopper is the last thing we need especially when we've got Thaiday coming off the bench.

We need a halfback and frankly there are no other options. I think Perry is fine but he is not long term. Seymour is a joke. At least Witt can goalkick. I would be prepared to give him a chance.

Kelly Patrol

Juniors
We need a class half to ease the bruden on Locky.The off contract Matthew Head will do.

With Webcke retiring we also need someone that is ready to step in and fill the breach, imo Thaiday is a season or two off being able to do this.Ill take the off contract Asotasi.

IN
Head
Asotasi

OUT
Carlaw
Seymour
Costigan
Bott
Maguire

Kiwi

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Macguire? Are you insane! He is one of the best utilities in the comp!

I think someone who suggests we buy Michael Witt should be the last person to call somebody insane

lockyno1

Post Whore
Kiwi said:
I think someone who suggests we buy Michael Witt should be the last person to call somebody insane

Hey, I said I'd be prepared to give him a chance- he will be cheap as and could be a bargain buy. His goalkicking is as good as El Masri. Macguire is our best utility- there is no way I would drop him. He can cover every backline position and can play hooker/backrow.

Kiwi

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Hey, I said I'd be prepared to give him a chance- he will be cheap as and could be a bargain buy. His goalkicking is as good as El Masri. Macguire is our best utility- there is no way I would drop him. He can cover every backline position and can play hooker/backrow.

I never said drop McGuire .

Signing Witt would be bloody stupid, We have goal kickers now, and Witt makes Perry look like the next coming of Alfie Langer. So why sign him, there is no logic to it.

salivor

First Grade
Simple facts are that we need a halfback and a good one, not Witt who currently would be sitting behind Seymour and Perry, you can have thousands of average halfbacks if you want, but it takes 1 world class one to win a premiership.

It's time to stop playing it safe and make a major play for Matthew Head. We can afford to lose the likes of Minto, Bott, Tupou and even Hannant or McGuire if need be. We've got Webcke retiring, we'll resign Boyd on the cheap. Hunt will obviously want significantly more this time around but I think he wants to stay so we won't have to break the bank to keep him.

So therefore our priorities should lie with getting Ennis on a long term deal which I think he'll do for a reasonable price considering his comments to the media so far and cutting the players I've mentioned previously we should have enough money to make a genuine play for Head, especially since the Saints have blown a serious amount of cash on a bloody centre.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Head would be a good proposition provided he isnt spending 80% of his time on the sidelines like he is now.

i reckon if they cant find a halfback, move hunt there and play boyd from the back. Boyd has played well in the games he's played at Fullback and I think he'd be a good permanent replacement for hunt.

Hannant has shown a lot of potential and he always charegs the ball up at a million miles which is what brisbane need off the bench. i'd get rid of minto and bott (though i thought agaisnt souths he was more involved then previously), carlaw started the year much better than previously so see how he pans out and i think costigan has to start doing something cos the past few years he's looked lost.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Salivor,

Mate I think you'd be surprised just how much salary cap space the dragons WILL have for next year, remembering Barrett, Bailey, Timmins will be going and add to that Thompson's pay out to go to Cronulla (which is counted on their cap for this year) but won't be counted for next year. Other than obvously the GC titans, Saints will have a fair amount of space after releasing 4 of its highest paid players.

Meanie

Juniors
salivor said:
Hunt will obviously want significantly more this time around but I think he wants to stay so we won't have to break the bank to keep him.

Even though Hunt said he wants to say, I wonder if part of his contract agreement will be the number 7 jersey, similar to how Gasnier was promised the number 6.

screw asotasi, people are gonna bid big for him. we already have petero, Thaiday and Hannant. and then we have nick kenny coming through, no nned to waste so much cap space on 'tasi. i wouldnt mind seeing us have a go at head tho

Leagueguy

Juniors
Is Finch off contract? I thought he was. I know he's not a superstar and he has weaknesses, but I think he would be effective inside Lockyer. Brisbane just need someone who will drive the team forward and provide organization. Finch has the ego and intensity to do this. He's not a guy that will win you matches by himself, however inside Fitler he was a good role player.

Brisbane haven't really had a dominant halfback that was willing to run the team since Langer left. By running the team, I don't mean there the go to man and our most creative player. We just need someone who'll complement Lockyer and get there hands on the ball. I see him playing a similar role to what Perry is now, but possibly with a little bit more zip.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Head is a good option, I'd also look at Nate Myles who would be an excellent option in the forwards, far better than Asotasi.

Hunt will more than likely stay in the number 1 jersey. I think that the Broncos next year will look something like this:

1. Hunt
2. Tupou
3. Hodges
4. Tate
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. ????
8. ????
9. Ennis
10. Civinoceva
11. Parker
12. Stagg
13. Carroll

14. Berrigan
15. Thaiday
16. Eastwood
17. Hannant/Thorn

I think Berrigan will take over Casey McGuire's role off the bench as the utility/impact player, seeing Boyd and Tupou have done a good job this year on the wings. I quite liked the role Berrigan played during origin and I think Brisbane would benefit from doing similar with him. With Webcke retiring, it will free up some cash to make a bid for Nate Myles or Matt Head. Really the starting prop spot and half back are the main two areas where they may need to be recruiting. However, we look pretty good for props, seeing Civinoceva, Thaiday, Hannant and Thorn can comfortably fill those spots, as well as Parker if necessary. Though with Thorn and Civinoceva retiring soon, as well as Carroll, grabbing another prop would be beneficial.

The good news for Brisbane is, even with Webcke, Civinoceva, Carroll and Thorn going shortly, there are plenty of good forwards stepping up this year. Lockyer will be tough to replace down the track though. That is why Matt Head would be good right now.

Nevcost

Juniors
Head's still under contract at the dragons, so out of all the off-contract halves i'd go for Travis Burns at Manly, great little player whose proven a good foil for Orford. Even though he's playong five-eight his preffered position is halfback, Witt looks more likely though mainly because we would be able to fit him under the salary cap and am not sure whether we'd be able to fit Burns under the salary cap. As for Asotasi, if Hannant leaves then we should go after him if he doesn't we don't need to. Why take away a place in the side from quality Queenslander props like Sam Thiaday and Ben Hannant.

Big Pete

Referee
Heads just re-signed with the Dragons for another 2 seasons so it looks like we'll need another halfback.

Latest posts