What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push is on by younger guns

sharks8601

Juniors
CRONULLA Sharks will have at least five players seeking first-grade selection in 2009, but the big question hanging over the future of the suspended Test player, Greg Bird, won't be answered until after he reappears on assault charges next week.

Despite losing injured five-eighth Brett Seymour from their finals campaign, the Sharks management took a hard-line position not to lift the suspension on Bird, who played no part in the Sharks finals campaign.

With veteran half Brett Kimmorley leaving for the Bulldogs, the Sharks next season will lean on the class of former Australian Test star Trent Barrett and Test forward, Anthony Tupou.

Former Dragons star Barrett led Wigan's charge to the Super League finals, before they lost to Leeds on the weekend.

He will play outside Seymour, who will take Kimmorley's place at half.

The Roosters' Tupou links up with his Test coach and his former Roosters coach, Ricky Stuart.

Tough veteran Canterbury hooker, Corey Hughes, has also signed on for a season and will lend young hooker Terrence Seu Seu invaluable experience.

The Sharks also hold high hopes for Australian schoolboys centre Matt Wright, the strong-running New Zealand-born Penrith schoolboy, as well as Parramatta's promising under-20s prop John Mannah.

Eighteen-year-old Jason McGrady, a nephew of former Rothman's Medallist Ewan McGrady, is joining Cronulla on a two-year deal from Group Two club Orara Valley in Coffs Harbour.

Sharks CEO Tony Zappia said the club would also re-sign improving winger Misi Taulapapa.
The Sharks farewell a number of players: first-graders Kimmorley, prop Danny Nutley (retired), hooker Isaac de Gois (Knights), prop Adam Peek (Celtic Crusaders) and hooker Kevin Kingston, who yesterday was officially released from his final season with the Sharks next year to join Parramatta.

source: http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/ne...as-retirement-and-transfers-bite/1321606.aspx

squiddy

Juniors
I would really like to see some of our guns step up , Orcher , Bakuya , Ferguson ,Hume , Jouda , Stapo . I'd really like to see them thrown a chance and push for a spot in the 25 , its been a while since we have really unearthed a good young 'un

The problem with our Toyota Cup players this year was that the majority of them would do just as many bad things as they would do good.

They only had short bursts of concentration and ran out of puff quite easily.

Stapleton was continually getting injured all season and that's playing against smaller opposition than he would in First Grade.

The kid has talent but definately seems a bit brittle.

Danger

Juniors
We need to blood some of these youngsters early on in the season though, perhaps send most of them out in the trial teams, the ones that stand out should get a shot at the beggining of the season... I really hope we have a centre that stands up in the trials this year so Ricky has no choice but to give him a shot, and the we can get rid of Simmo the useless f*ck!

Danger

Juniors
The problem with our Toyota Cup players this year was that the majority of them would do just as many bad things as they would do good.

They only had short bursts of concentration and ran out of puff quite easily.

Stapleton was continually getting injured all season and that's playing against smaller opposition than he would in First Grade.

The kid has talent but definately seems a bit brittle.

I haven't seen much of the toyota cup side, so im a bit unsure as to the talent we have coming through, but i think that there will always be one or two players at each club who actually play better once they step up, gives them a bit more confidence etc, im wondering if there is anyone in our lower grades who that may apply to, any noted big game players, or someone with plenty of talent who may just be lacking a bit of confidence?

Special K

Coach
I think Orcher and Ferguson will come out the other side of that NYC team. Both look electric with ball in hand

cb4

First Grade
I've heard that he's not only brittle, but soft. Pleading with the coach to come off after being tackled etc.

gee, hadnt heard that, i think orcher ferguson stapo n bakuya need to play trails to see if pressure can be mounted on the boys
someone needs to stand up n keep ando in the pack
another needs to stand up n f**k simmo off

Special K

Coach
gee, hadnt heard that, i think orcher ferguson stapo n bakuya need to play trails to see if pressure can be mounted on the boys
someone needs to stand up n keep ando in the pack
another needs to stand up n f**k simmo off
Stapleton played the 2nd half of the gosford trial and played really well.

I did not see him do anything good after that game in the limited amount of u/20s I saw.

shintaro

Juniors
I went to that game and Trent Grubb was the player most likely to become a first grader to me , and I said so at the time.
He played a bit of right centre and did some very classy things with the ball.......found space in traffic and unloading the ball several times. Stood up a player and got on the outside of his opposite to put his winger away. Most impressive but a different ball game when you play against the men week in , week out.
The way the lower grades are structured now, it's a massive jump from 20's to first grade.
Everything is twice as big and twice as fast.

shintaro

Juniors
Yes I was most impressed that night. He was head and shoulders above everyone else on the field.
Only 1% of junior footballers go on to play first grade...........maybe he's the lucky one!

cb4

First Grade
never seen him play??
is he normally a centre or does he pack in the scrum as well??

cb4

First Grade
dont need no more back rowers
unfortunateluy thats the one area where we produce so many good players

Latest posts