What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q & A with David Gallop

Grantwhy

Juniors
I don't think anyone else has posted this here yet so

from the Sunday Mail (Queensland)

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,8313903%5E2764,00.html

Standing their ground
ADAM HAWSE
04jan04

Q [Adam hawse]) HAVE the NRL and Sydney Roosters spoken since The Sunday Mail broke the story two weeks ago of the Roosters challenging the salary cap?

A [David Gallop]) WE'VE had a number of telephone conversations about it. They're aware that we are not going to change our timetable and we're aware that they believe there should be an increase.

Q) HAVE you spoken to their chairman Nick Politis and was anything resolved?

A) YES I have spoken to him. No, nothing was resolved. (But) I don't believe there will be court action and I don't believe threatening court action was an appropriate way of dealing with the matter.

Q) BUT if neither party has changed its stance that means this court threat is still hanging over the game. The World Sevens is just three weeks away – shouldn't you get this resolved?

A) WE won't be changing our timetable.

Q) WHAT is that timetable?

A) WE'LL make a decision some time after the start of this season on whether there will be a cap increase. A cap increase appears unlikely unless the clubs' income can be improved. The ideal salary cap model is the salary cap being the equivalent of the grants that the clubs receive from broadcasters and sponsorship. At the moment our club grants are at about $2.3m and our salary cap is $3.5m and closer to $3.6m. We have to have a balance between catering for the lowest common denominator as well as catering for what the better-off clubs can afford.

Q) THE Roosters say they helped save the game through the Super League split. Shouldn't that count for something?

A) I DON'T think bringing up what happened nearly 10 years ago is particularly helpful to the current competition. Everyone in the game is keen to put that behind us and I don't particulary think it advances this issue.

Q) NICK Politis is on the NRL partnership board and is chairman of a club that could soon be taking the NRL to court. Should he resign from the board?

A) NOT necessarily. People juggle competing interests in the game on a range of fronts. I'm sure a person with Nick Politis' business acumen can make his own decisions on an issue like that.

Q) FOR a long time Brisbane and the ARL were at loggerheads, some saying that was a factor in the split of the game. Do you have any concerns about the NRL's relationship with the Roosters?

A) I DON'T think threatening court action was an appropriate way of dealing with this issue, but I don't see any long term damage to our relationship with the Roosters.

Q) ARE you disappointed in the continual criticism of the game's administration from NSW coach and Roosters official Phil Gould?

A) YES. Some of that criticism has been way over the top. However, the game thrives on passion and debate and if the criticism is based on balanced argument we consider it from wherever it comes from.

Q) YOU say you have to cater for the lesser clubs, but doesn't the salary cap as it is penalise the top clubs from doing what they are supposed to do – win competitions and produce representative players?

A) IT doesn't penalise. It means pure buying power doesn't dictate the structure of our comp.

Q) BUT shouldn't fans be able to experience a dynasty like the great St George teams of the 1950s and '60s?

A) THE salary cap is not the be all and end all of what constitutes a successful football team. There are a whole range of reasons from development to coaching to the luck you've had with injuries.

Q) SO you think it's still possible to win four premierships on the trot with a salary cap?

A) YES, definitely.

Q) WELL, we've had 10 different premiers in 10 years. Can't that be attributed to the cap and clubs being forced to shed players after winning a title?

A) YOU have to look at the alternatives. What's important here is there has to be a balance. There will always be weaker teams and stronger teams. But structuring the competition on pure buying power is inevitably going to lead to long periods where a few teams dominate.

Q) WHEN is the earliest the cap can be increased?

A) WELL, no decision has been made about 2005. I would like to see the cap go up. That would be indicative of the game's success, but on the current income levels of the clubs, it creates a problem.

Q) BUT last year the Telstra Premiership had record crowds, TV ratings were up and it was a sell-out Origin series?

A) YES, but the additional revenue that those things created is being put into grassroots programs and that should be one of the game's priorities.

Q) WHAT happens now? Is the NRL prepared to go to court to defend the cap?

A) ABSOLUTELY. The game's going through a period of widely-acclaimed success. And at the very core of that is the successul policing of the salary cap. Whatever happens, I'd expect the Roosters to accept the umpire's decision. Suggesting that they want to blow down the whole house of cards is really an unnecessary tactic on their behalf.

DIEHARD

----
Thanks for that Grantwhy, it was a good read. Good to see Gallop sticking to his guns. I dont know about the rest of you, but would way rather prefer a level playing field than 'dynasties' of 4 to 10 years. Clubs with a stranglehold on the game with money. We dont need to end up like Premier League, that shit is total rubbish.

If we need to cater for more big contracts, bring in more teams.

Diehard said:
Thanks for that Grantwhy, it was a good read. Good to see Gallop sticking to his guns. I dont know about the rest of you, but would way rather prefer a level playing field than 'dynasties' of 4 to 10 years. Clubs with a stranglehold on the game with money. We dont need to end up like Premier League, that sh*t is total rubbish.

I can see it now, suddenly during the 2004 season Gallop anounces that the salary cap will rise for the 2005 season and beyond and he will state that the NRL always had the intention of raising the cap. ;-)

El Diablo

Post Whore
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Diehard said:
Thanks for that Grantwhy, it was a good read. Good to see Gallop sticking to his guns. I dont know about the rest of you, but would way rather prefer a level playing field than 'dynasties' of 4 to 10 years. Clubs with a stranglehold on the game with money. We dont need to end up like Premier League, that sh*t is total rubbish.

I can see it now, suddenly during the 2004 season Gallop anounces that the salary cap will rise for the 2005 season and beyond and he will state that the NRL always had the intention of raising the cap. ;-)

Lay off the LSD. Youll stop seeing things.

strider

Post Whore
Why the hell would anyone want dynasty's like the Dragons of the 50's and 60's....everyone would get sick of the same team winning (probably even their own supporters :lol: )....variety is the spice of life!!!

Just one premiership for my club would keep me happy for a few years....the Panthers and Raiders emerging last season was the most intersting thing in the competition....i hope maybe the cowboys and tigers can do something this season (btw, I don't support either of them).

Grantwhy

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Diehard said:

Actually in the articial there is:

Q) WHEN is the earliest the cap can be increased?

A) WELL, no decision has been made about 2005. I would like to see the cap go up. That would be indicative of the game's success, but on the current income levels of the clubs, it creates a problem.

So, at this moment, there has been no decision made on the 2005 salary cap.

Which brings up a very intresting question?

Why the frell are the Sydney Roosters threatening the NRL with legal action over a decision that has yet to be made?

OVP

Coach
Why bother RC ? They are easily-led by Rupert and his cost-cutting so he gets his money back. There is NO point to arguing with the brainwashed.

I dont suppose it matters that Rupert also OWNS Rugby too ... perhaps you maybe able to see a link here....

Rugby League players getting jack sh!t in 2004 after Rupert spends sh!tloads on League in the SL War. He almost kills the game itself, be HE eventually wins because HE still controls the game itself after the creation of the NRL.

Rugby League gets more and more productive and profit-making after the game "appears" fixed.

Rugby League players going to Rupert's other code because they can earn more money there.

Rupert's other code makes a HUGE profit after their World Cup.

Rugby League players are told there wont be a payrise for them, even after they and they alone have made League successful again.

Can you see something here ?? Yep thats right ...Rupert doesnt give a shit about League because it WILL NEVER be truly international. Get it ? No ? Then go eat 10 kgs worth of News Limited newspapers as punishment :lol:

Simo

First Grade
OVP are you suggesting the salary cap is a pre meditated plan from rupert murdoch to promote Union???

You must be kidding!

You seem to think Murdoch has sent a specific instruction to Gallop not to raise the cap because he wants all the top players to switch to Rugby Union :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever think Murdoch will make more money by having both codes successful like they are now??

As for the Cap i think player concessions is the answer. On MMM recently Fatty told of a popular solution saaying something along the lines of 10% of a players salary isnt counted if he has been with the club for so many years and it goes up pn a sliding scale depending how long he has been there.

This should resolve Matthew Johns type situations were a born a bred player who has been at a club all his life doesnt have to leave at 28 because he cant be afforded, yet still means talent will be spread.

Latest posts