What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Maroons 2024

Big Pete

Referee
Queensland Maroons 38 (Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 3, Ben Hunt 2, Xavier Coates tries; Valentine Holmes 7/7 goals) def. New South Wales 10

1-0

The biggest talking point coming out of the game is the Suaalii hit on Walsh. Suaalii was justifiably sent off and Walsh took no further part in the game and it appears he won't be available for another game until at least Origin II. There's some talk about whether it was a deliberate ploy and NSW intended to take him out of the game.

I wouldn't go that far, but like the Taylan May incident, I think there was a plan to target him off the ball. I believe the Suaalii incident was the third cheap shot in a short span of time and ultimately it compromised the entire game.

Otherwise it looked like a training run for the Maroons at times. At 20-6 after 25 minutes, it looked like the Maroons took the foot off the pedal and invited the Blues back into it with some sloppy football. It eventually took it's toll and the Blues did well to make it a 20-10 game until the 65th minute when Ben Hunt capitilised on some quality work from the backs to put the game out of reach.

It was the type of performance you'd come to expect from the Maroons. The forwards toiled hard and opened up the edges for Queensland and the Maroons superior continuity out-wide made the difference.

In the end, the Selwyn Cobbo selection paid off. It was the typical Cobbo performance where he had a few lackadaisical moments, but then he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and it just sparks the team. Hopgood played well on debut, he scrapped hard in the middle, produced some quality second phase and wore a massive hit from Martin only to brush it off.

I don't think Dearden's support runners helped him at time, but ultimately Tommy played well in his second Origin game. He came up with a big try-saver in the first half, proved a real handful running the ball and his fitness paid off at the death when he put the Hammer away for his hat-trick. Watching it, I couldn't help but sense some deja vu with JT giving it onto Slater to win the 2008 series.

Cherry-Evans was a well deserved Man of the Match and he has a golden opportunity to add to his Origin legacy.

Reactions: MRN

ALX25

Bench
Clear as day NSW targeted Walsh and it backfired spectacularly.

The leaders of the side stood up when it counted.

Hopefully no more injuries occur in the next two rounds as the side picks itself.

Reactions: MRN