What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"QLD spirit"- the myth...

Knightmare

Coach
No doubt tomorrow morning we will all wake up hearing about the "Queensland spirit" and all the usual self-indulgent cliched wankfest that comes from north of the border on the occasions that the Maroons win a game. Many people north of Tweed Heads would have you believe that Jesus could only walk on water when he put the Qld jersey on. A few things though....

* Irrespective of this years' result, this doesn't change my belief (like many others) that like the Manly-controlled ARL days, the Qld selection panel is an old boys network that needs serious changes if the Maroons want to win more than one series every 5 years.

* This year in Game 1, Qld came back from 14-0 down to nearly win the game, and afterwards we all heard the usual bleating about the "Never say die Queensland spirit". Last year in Game 1, NSW came from 19-0 down to nearly win as well, yet we heard nothing about it afterwards. Why is that?

* In Game 1 this year, Brett Finch came in as NSW halfback at the last minute with next to no preparation and went on to kick that great field goal to win the match for NSW. Again there was no talk about the team spirit in that Blues side to overcome that adversity and win. Imagine if it had been the other way around and happened to Queensland, though....

* If Queensland are so passionate and NSW have no soul, how come the Maroons have only won 5 series in the past 15 years? They haven't been able to win two series back to back since 1989.

* Queenslanders love to go on about that 1995 team which against all odds won the series 3-0 and use that as evidence that Qld have all the passion, soul and spirit. Yet the following year, Qld had a stronger team but NSW won the series 3-0 themselves. Why is that never talked about?

I should state that this is NOT a case of sour grapes. I was well aware that, sooner or later, the shield would have to change hands. My gripe is with the majority of Queenslanders who go on and on about how great and passionate Qld is compared to NSW when they win, and talk NSW people into agreeing with them, yet when NSW shows great spirit or plays a fantastic game, we hear next to nothing from the Maroon side of the border. Until this attitude changes, I will never be able to hate the Maroons but respect them. And for the sake of our game, that's a damn shame.

Pigskin

Juniors
how is this for Qld spirit ?

we won

you lost

go suck a banana you germ blue:crazy:

Oink !

salivor

First Grade
Because whether you like it or not, Origin has always been about Qld, little brother trying to beat the odds.

drake

First Grade
How droll Chucky.

Lad's got good points; you've got a cliche.

Bask in your momentary glory.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Pigskin said:
how is this for Qld spirit ?

we won

you lost

go suck a banana you germ blue:crazy:

Oink !

We all know where you like to stick bananas. And it isn't in your mouth.

Squeal!

pcpp

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol:

Gifted 2 decisions and still can't win the match, now the 1000 word whinging essays :lol:

Knightmare

Coach
:LOL: Your lot can laugh and sidestep the valid points I made all you like. I predicted that most of you banana stuffers would. As long as people like you take care of Queensland State of Origin, may the trend of the last 15 years continue!
NEW SOUTH WALES- where people don't bugger off and hide when their State loses.

Azkatro

First Grade
drake said:
How droll Chucky.

Look at what happened tonight - NSW got the most ridiculous decisions in their favour and the Queenslanders managed to pick themselves up from that and win the decider. It doesn't get any more incredible in that. Especially given that it was a decider.

You're just jealous because when we win, it's always special. We're just seeing the world through maroon coloured glasses - it's not our fault if you lot get sucked into our passion as well.

Mr Saab

Referee
drake said:
How droll Chucky.

TBH i dont give a flying @#!@ about it.
QLD won and thats all that matters. Cliche...meh...sue me.

pcpp

Juniors
Knightmare said:
:lol: Your lot can laugh and sidestep the valid points I made all you like. I predicted that most of you banana stuffers would. As long as people like you take care of Queensland State of Origin, may the trend of the last 15 years continue!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What's that?

I'm sorry, who won the series?

Now these piss weak insults by a sour grape NSW supporter

Give it up

:lol:

salivor

First Grade
Knightmare said:

LOL, wanna put a wager on that as I can guarantee a lot of the doubters will be finding some very deep holes to climb into over the next week. Just on Lockyer alone the critism has been completely unjust and uneccessary, winning player of the series is going to be a bitter pill for many of the trolls to swallow.

Knightmare

Coach
But that's my point- people from down here can (generally) give Qld praise when it's deserved, but your lot never return the favour. Respect is a two-way thing. And of course winning the Origin series is special for you guys- it doesn't happen very often :LOL:

redVgirl

Juniors
i COMPLETELY agree with you knightmare. this isnt sour grapes from tonites loss on my part, ive been making the same argument for yeaaaars. the 'queensland spirit' is nothing more than a marketing ploy by the QRL and a motivating technique used by coaches.

blues players and fans are just as passionate and committed to state of origin and its rarely acknowledged. that really irks me.

the fact is, both states are equally into the origin series...thats what makes it so great to begin with.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Oh dear. Now a raft of Queenslander posts that end after about 5 words, involve discussion about sexually molesting fruit, and are at least 30% emoticons.

BTW, Charlie, you ain't a Queenslander. You just act like one, and they closed down Kariong years ago.

Latest posts