What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"QLD spirit"- the myth...

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:
BTW, Charlie, you ain't a Queenslander. You just act like one, and they closed down Kariong years ago.

Hey vapour fly, wondering when you would show you ugly icon in here.
QUEENSLANDER.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I get a very sick feeling we're going to be watching Saab and RABK doing the rounds again for the next few months... :(

Azkatro

First Grade
Knightmare said:
* Irrespective of this years' result, this doesn't change my belief (like many others) that like the Manly-controlled ARL days, the Qld selection panel is an old boys network that needs serious changes if the Maroons want to win more than one series every 5 years.
Moot point.

Knightmare said:
* This year in Game 1, Qld came back from 14-0 down to nearly win the game, and afterwards we all heard the usual bleating about the "Never say die Queensland spirit". Last year in Game 1, NSW came from 19-0 down to nearly win as well, yet we heard nothing about it afterwards. Why is that?
Correction - YOU heard the usual bleating. I heard more about how much trouble we were supposedly in and how much our selections left to be desired. We heard little about NSW' 19-0 comeback because you still lost!

Knightmare said:
* In Game 1 this year, Brett Finch came in as NSW halfback at the last minute with next to no preparation and went on to kick that great field goal to win the match for NSW. Again there was no talk about the team spirit in that Blues side to overcome that adversity and win. Imagine if it had been the other way around and happened to Queensland, though....
Game 1 is less important than game 3. And there was lots of talk about NSW and Brett Finch's achievements in that game - you just clearly chose to not acknowledge it.

Knightmare said:
* If Queensland are so passionate and NSW have no soul, how come the Maroons have only won 5 series in the past 15 years? They haven't been able to win two series back to back since 1989.
NSW have shown plenty of passion to go with their skill and let's be honest ... more often than not NSW has the stronger side on paper. We have gone through a quiet period. Why did NSW win f**k all in the 80's?

Knightmare said:
* Queenslanders love to go on about that 1995 team which against all odds won the series 3-0 and use that as evidence that Qld have all the passion, soul and spirit. Yet the following year, Qld had a stronger team but NSW won the series 3-0 themselves. Why is that never talked about?
The teams by comparison to 1995 were fairly similar. 1995 was Queensland's landmark series win in the 90's ... NSW won plenty and 1996 is 10 years ago now.

Knightmare said:
I should state that this is NOT a case of sour grapes. I was well aware that, sooner or later, the shield would have to change hands. My gripe is with the majority of Queenslanders who go on and on about how great and passionate Qld is compared to NSW when they win, and talk NSW people into agreeing with them, yet when NSW shows great spirit or plays a fantastic game, we hear next to nothing from the Maroon side of the border. Until this attitude changes, I will never be able to hate the Maroons but respect them. And for the sake of our game, that's a damn shame.
Not our fault you mob agree with us. Maybe it's because we're right, and Queensland is God's country. I hate the Blues and I always will. If you don't hate us, then why did you write all this rabble?

Suck on my balls! QLD is better than NSW and we f**king won!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Knightmare got it on the head.

I can bump the few thousand posts made by QLDers after Origin 3, 2005 if you like.

No Kiwi or Kumul ever pulled on a blue jumper.

Timmah

Staff member
salivor said:
LOL, wanna put a wager on that as I can guarantee a lot of the doubters will be finding some very deep holes to climb into over the next week. Just on Lockyer alone the critism has been completely unjust and uneccessary, winning player of the series is going to be a bitter pill for many of the trolls to swallow.

I'm not going anywhere.

Lockyer isn't a god based on one good game out of 17.

gregstar

Referee
Knightmare said:
No doubt tomorrow morning we will all wake up hearing about the "Queensland spirit" and all the usual self-indulgent cliched wankfest that comes from north of the border on the occasions that the Maroons win a game. Many people north of Tweed Heads would have you believe that Jesus could only walk on water when he put the Qld jersey on. A few things though....

* Irrespective of this years' result, this doesn't change my belief (like many others) that like the Manly-controlled ARL days, the Qld selection panel is an old boys network that needs serious changes if the Maroons want to win more than one series every 5 years.

* This year in Game 1, Qld came back from 14-0 down to nearly win the game, and afterwards we all heard the usual bleating about the "Never say die Queensland spirit". Last year in Game 1, NSW came from 19-0 down to nearly win as well, yet we heard nothing about it afterwards. Why is that?

* In Game 1 this year, Brett Finch came in as NSW halfback at the last minute with next to no preparation and went on to kick that great field goal to win the match for NSW. Again there was no talk about the team spirit in that Blues side to overcome that adversity and win. Imagine if it had been the other way around and happened to Queensland, though....

* If Queensland are so passionate and NSW have no soul, how come the Maroons have only won 5 series in the past 15 years? They haven't been able to win two series back to back since 1989.

* Queenslanders love to go on about that 1995 team which against all odds won the series 3-0 and use that as evidence that Qld have all the passion, soul and spirit. Yet the following year, Qld had a stronger team but NSW won the series 3-0 themselves. Why is that never talked about?

I should state that this is NOT a case of sour grapes. I was well aware that, sooner or later, the shield would have to change hands. My gripe is with the majority of Queenslanders who go on and on about how great and passionate Qld is compared to NSW when they win, and talk NSW people into agreeing with them, yet when NSW shows great spirit or plays a fantastic game, we hear next to nothing from the Maroon side of the border. Until this attitude changes, I will never be able to hate the Maroons but respect them. And for the sake of our game, that's a damn shame.
suck balls deadsh*t - nsw lost & if your grapes were any more sour, you'd be for sale.

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:

I can bump the few thousand posts made by QLDers after Origin 3, 2005 if you like.

Living in the past misty..not good for your health.

Live for the present.

Timmah

Staff member
Azkatro said:
Not our fault you mob agree with us. Maybe it's because we're right, and Queensland is God's country. I hate the Blues and I always will. If you don't hate us, then why did you write all this rabble?

God's country?

:lol: :crazy:

salivor

First Grade
Timmah said:
I'm not going anywhere.

Lockyer isn't a god based on one good game out of 17.

Well you may want to as that last line makes you look rather foolish. Let's just forget about Lockyer's performances 1998-2003, lets forget about game 2 even when he was MOM, tonight was apparently according to Timmah Lockyer's first good game at Origin level. Let's judge the whole blokes career on about 5 average SOO performances, most of which were behind some pathetic Qld forward displays.

Lockyer got redemption tonight and stuck it up the doubters, so eat your humble pie and suck sh*t ;-).

icewind

Juniors
Misty Bee said:

you sure you don't want to retract that statement willie mason or ken nagas, i mean misty?

rofl, game 1 we have a tiny pack on debut, and you can only win by a point. game 2 we lose one of our most promising young players and we flog you by 24 points. game 3, our entire backline except for Tate are injured, get all the ref decisions against us, and you still can't win. rofl.

so if hodgson gets replaced by mini next year, whos gonna do the goalkicking?? fitzgibbon belongs in a nursing home. a maroon dynasty awaits us!!!

bonestorm

Juniors
It was applicable in the early days of Origin and it has carried on through the years, even though it isn't really relevant anymore. It's a motivational tool. We Qlders need this as our team never has the skill, size, or depth of NSW.

I hope that gives you some consolation as you cry in your corn flakes tomorrow morning.

redVgirl

Juniors
it applied in the early days most definitely. and it should stay there!

ps- i dont eat cornflakes.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Pffft f*cking predictable crap from the Queenslanders, especially renowned w*nkers like Saab

God forbid they give the Blues any credit??

No, sh*t no, its all "suck Sh*t Blues"

Queensland makes me vomit.
The f*cking enemy. Come back when you can win more than 1 series every 5 years

icewind

Juniors
so it was purely the great skill that got us home? cool, can't wait til we have a full strength side next year, with our first choice backline.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol:

Where did I say first good game was tonight?

I'm just saying he's not the be all and end all of players, neither is Johns, and neither should be made out to be.

Mr Saab

Referee
Hutty1986 said:
Pffft f*cking predictable crap from the Queenslanders, especially renowned w*nkers like Saab

Get @#$@!#% hutty.
QUOTE ME WHERE I SAID SUCK SHYTE BLUES...PLEASE....YEAH DIDNT THINK SO.
WANKER

icewind

Juniors
Hutty1986 said:

lol no its "qld have nothing" etc etc etc blah blah blah, we've had to endure the crap, its time you smelt the stench of your own crap youve given us.

Knightmare

Coach
Azkatro said:
Moot point.

Correction - YOU heard the usual bleating. I heard more about how much trouble we were supposedly in and how much our selections left to be desired. We heard little about NSW' 19-0 comeback because you still lost!

Game 1 is less important than game 3. And there was lots of talk about NSW and Brett Finch's achievements in that game - you just clearly chose to not acknowledge it.

NSW have shown plenty of passion to go with their skill and let's be honest ... more often than not NSW has the stronger side on paper. We have gone through a quiet period. Why did NSW win f**k all in the 80's?

The teams by comparison to 1995 were fairly similar. 1995 was Queensland's landmark series win in the 90's ... NSW won plenty and 1996 is 10 years ago now.

1. True NSW lost in Game 1 last year, but so did Qld in Game 1 this year. Both sides, despite being behind on the scoreboard showed plenty of spirit in coming back, yet only 1 side got the praise for doing so.

2. True we heard all about Brett Finch's achievements in Game 1. but if Finch was a Maroon, we would have heard all about QUEENSLAND's achievement.

3. I will concede that in the early days of Origin, NSW were a tad complacent. But also, Wally Lewis was a great player for the Maroons (their best ever) and he had some mighty fine players like Meninga, Belcher, Close etc. around him. No coincidence that since Lewis retired from Origin in 1991, Maroons series wins have been much fewer and farther between.

4. I know that 1996 is 10 years ago, but 1995 is 11 years ago, yet Queenslanders still love to talk about it. If Maroons fans are going to dredge up history to make a point, then so should Blues fans.

5. I hate Queensland, and the point of my post is one of the main reasons I hate them.

6. Queensland would be God's country if God drank nothing but XXXX, Bundaberg Rum, had next to no idea about anything that happened outside his state and thought that a foreigner was anyone who didn't come from Queensland.

Latest posts