What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"QLD spirit"- the myth...

Hutty1986

Immortal
Mr Saab said:
Which is what you did to me for no reason. I didnt abuse anyone, i didnt say NSW suck, yet you call me a wanker. I have been called worse so i dont care, but just stating the point that you are a hypocrite.

I'm not a hypocrite, I just came onto the forums when I was still half-pissed and annoyed about the game. I apologise.

Hutty1986

Immortal
The concept of the current shield holding team "winning" a series after a drawn one was sh*thouse, that's why they changed it. 2002 is a prime example. Bad goal kicking cost Qld the match in game 3, but I think it was disgraceful to give them back the shield after only drawing the series

6togo

Juniors
Knightmare said:
:lol: Your lot can laugh and sidestep the valid points I made all you like. I predicted that most of you banana stuffers would. As long as people like you take care of Queensland State of Origin, may the trend of the last 15 years continue!
NEW SOUTH WALES- where people don't bugger off and hide when their State loses.

Quit while you are behind. Qld could lose 10 series in a row and Lang Park would still be packed to the rafters every game (even if it had a capacity of 80k). NSW cant even get a full crowd to Origin I. What happened when the NSW public would only manage 18k to the SFS when they were getting belted by Qld in the late 80s. Many NSW supporters are as fairweather as you can get.

And Brett Finch is the kind of player that plays better when he doesnt overthink things. Have a look at Origin I when he had no time to worry bout anything except getting good field position. Compare that to Origin II when he had no idea, completely overwhelmed by the situation.

Give credit where it was due. Qld had a massive turnover of players through injury (a couple were dropped after Origin I due to form) major decisions went against them in the third game but they put that behind them and toughed it out when they could have easily tried some flashy plays and ended up getting beaten by 30.

NSW should face the fact that since Johns doesnt play anymore they are very short of top shelf halves and five eighths. Qld went through the same problem in the 90s after Wally Lewis retired.

Where is all this talk of a NSW dynasty now????

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Unless players stop making themselves "unavailable", Origin football will fade into nothing.

I certainly couldn't give a f**k this year, when we are fielding such sh*t as Finch and Anasta (who is a joke of a player for at least 95% of the time). The fact that we had so few players available that Gasnier was selected to play 5/8th is a tribute to the fact.

The reality is that if the best players aren't on the park, then its not really a true test. No players would have ever thought about "resting" before games back in the day. Yeah, ok, so the workload is tougher now. Players like Lockyer, Gordi and Webcke certainly seem to turn up to every game.

With the better/best players unavailable on any one side, its hardly an interesting contest. I was almost tempted to not watch the 3rd game at all.

I think clubs are at least partly to blame. I've just read in another thread that the Bulldogs administration are considering asking Sonny Bill not to play in the trinations. If thats the case, why don't we just forget about rep footy altogether?

I remember how pumped I used to get before the Origin series. Its just not there any more. I certainly get excited about the weekend's footy, but not Origin. I simply don't care.

bobbis

Juniors
I too find it odd that drawn series arent counted. In every sport i think of they are, for example the ashes a draw is as good as a win, in the bledisloe cup a draw is as good as a win, in fact in prity much ever RU series thats the case. Also it even happens in RL, in test series a drawn series is as good as a win for example a couple of years ago in the NZ vs GB series. In fact before Qld drew and retained the series twice it wasn't an issue at all.

El Diablo

Post Whore
a draw is as good as a win if you curretly hold the title but it is not a win.

you can't win a series by drawing it.

icewind

Juniors
i still don't know why they didn't get locky to take that attempt... it was on his favourable side n tuqiri was kickin sh*thouse.

Hutty1986

Immortal
icewind said:
i still don't know why they didn't get locky to take that attempt... it was on his favourable side n tuqiri was kickin sh*thouse.

Little Jason Moodie is probably still having nightmares about a rampaging Dane Carlaw ;-)

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Hutty1986 said:
I was just p*ssed off at the immature tools on here heaping sh*t on the Blues when they nearly won a series when they had like the likes of Finch and Anasta at 6 and 7 for 2 of 3 games.

That's the thing though. They didn't nearly win the series with Finch and Anasta. They scraped home by one point in the first game and were soundly thrashed in the second.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
This thread has provided much amusement for me. Here we have NSW supporters claiming not sour grapes but rather disappointment that NSW isn't praised for their spirit as much as QLD. Did you get that? Shall I break it down? NSW..fans..complaining..that..their side..isn't..praised..for..spirit. This would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. The horribly pathetic part about it is that I think some of you are actually serious when you cry foul for QLD supporters not heaping praise on the NSW team for their spirit and passion.

Hear this now NSW:

As supporters of your team it is your responsibility and yours alone to support and praise your team for their spirit and passion.

It's like Brett Finch crying to the ref every time he or his team made a mistake that lead to a try in Game 2. No one is going to win the game for you Brett. And so too, to the NSW supporters: No one is going to support your team for you. That's your job!

Hutty1986

Immortal
Frank_Grimes said:
This thread has provided much amusement for me. Here we have NSW supporters claiming not sour grapes but rather disappointment that NSW isn't praised for their spirit as much as QLD. Did you get that? Shall I break it down? NSW..fans..complaining..that..their side..isn't..praised..for..spirit. This would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. The horribly pathetic part about it is that I think some of you are actually serious when you cry foul for QLD supporters not heaping praise on the NSW team for their spirit and passion.

Hear this now NSW:

As supporters of your team it is your responsibility and yours alone to support and praise your team for their spirit and passion.

It's like Brett Finch crying to the ref every time he or his team made a mistake that lead to a try in Game 2. No one is going to win the game for you Brett. And so too, to the NSW supporters: No one is going to support your team for you. That's your job!

Yeah... pretty sure we know that

The whole point of this post was to highlight that the notion of Qlder's having more passion is bullsh*t

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Hutty1986 said:
Yeah... pretty sure we know that

The whole point of this post was to highlight that the notion of Qlder's having more passion is bullsh*t

And yet all we're hearing from the majority is bleating and whining about how no one recognises the NSW passion. Funny that.

Dazzat

First Grade
The plain facts are all that is needed to prove that Queensland have the passion, the spirit or whatever else you want to call it - guts, ticker. Queenslanders have bucketloads. Just look at the figures.

Queensland have about 1/4 of the players to choose from as NSW. We have only two (soon to be three) teams in the National Rugby League. We are the State which seems to be plundered by rugby union - Sailor, Tiquiri, Rogers, now Shif. We are continually written-off by the television and newspaper columnists from New South Wales that dominate the national sporting press.

And yet after 25 years, with all those factors against us, we have moved slightly ahead of the mighty meatheads from NSW on wins.

Yes, there is a Queensland spirit, and NSW media commentators each year contribute to its continuing influence as they talk down Queensland chances and Queensland players, and beat up the chances of NSW and the skill of your players.

Knightmare

Coach
Right...You are aware that NSW have won more series than Qld, and have never had to stoop so low as to let Kiwi's or Pacific Islanders into their team to be competitive...

Knightmare

Coach
:LOL: How could I forget? For the record, I have nothing against Kiwi players or PNG'ers or Pacific Islanders- they just shouldn't be counted for State teams unless they were born or played their first football there.

Dazzat

First Grade
I've never heard anyone should 'NEW SOUTH WELSHMAN' before a game ... proof positive ...

Knightmare

Coach
Just because you've never heard it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've never seen Kiwis or Pacific Islanders being allowed to call themselves New South Welshmen either...

Latest posts