What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quade Cooper will join the Parramatta Eels after Rugby World Cup

Forty20

First Grade
Quade Cooper will join the Parramatta Eels after Rugby World Cup

A PHONE call to Quade Cooper on Friday has left Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne convinced the Wallabies star will soon be wearing the blue and gold Eels jumper.

Just 24 hours after Cooper went public with his decision to stick with the Wallabies until after next year's World Cup, Osborne said it was only a matter of time before the 22-year-old switched codes.

"He rang me before he went with the decision and I just said stay for a year and play in the World Cup," Osborne said.

"We've got a really good relationship. We hit it off pretty well, we just clicked. He'll play for Parramatta one day."

Cooper spent the past month mulling over whether to switch codes after the Eels tabled a four-year deal worth $3.2 million.

Desperate to resolve their halves crisis, Parramatta pulled out all stops to entice the young Queenslander to wearing the Eels' No. 6 jumper next season.

It was at a dinner in Brisbane last month that Osborne, Parramatta chairman Roy Spagnolo and star fullback Jarryd Hayne tried to woo Cooper.

It showed him the Eels' offer was serious.

Osborne even joked that he was willing to name the Parramatta Stadium pool after Olympic champion Stephanie Rice, who is rumoured to be the Wallabies star's girlfriend.

But after sitting down with his parents David and Ruhia last week, Cooper knocked back the lucrative offer from Parramatta to sign a one-year extension, worth around $700,000, with the Australian Rugby Union.

However, the short-term deal has only heightened fears that Cooper still has a burning desire to return to the game he played until he was 18.

"He's very keen to try his hand at league, so I guess we've just got to wait 12 months," said Hayne, who has become a confidant of Cooper.

And even the man himself was unwilling to rule out the prospect of an NRL career despite committing to rugby union for 12 more months.

"The offers from Parramatta and rugby league were flattering and you'd be silly not to look at them," Cooper said.

"After all, it is a professional era. It's also a challenge any sportsman would look at.

"Sport is all about challenges. As for a personal challenge, well, rugby league is something I really looked into.

"I'm sure I would've enjoyed the challenge of playing in another code.

"As they say, you never know until you try it.

"I played a lot of rugby league growing up.

"But I haven't played it at the highest level, as I have in union. From this day, it is something I will continue to look at."

But without Cooper on their books, for next season at least, the Eels have made no secret of their intentions to lure a marquee halfback to the club.

Retired stars Brett Kimmorley and Trent Barrett and Melbourne Storm halfback Cooper Cronk have all been approached by senior Parramatta officials to no avail.

Former Manly premiership-winning halfback Matt Orford is also on the Eels' radar but the Raiders are also interested in the experienced No. 7.

However, it's likely they will also fall short of signing the 32-year-old, with Bradford, who Orford is currently signed with, unwilling to let him go.

It leaves the Eels in a precarious position following their failure to make the finals, which highlighted a serious problem in the halves.

Last year's grand finalists are also in the middle of a complete review of the club's coaching structure, which has raised serious questions about the future of Daniel Anderson, who is contracted to the club until the end of 2011.

Alongside club directors Geoff Gerrard and Glen Duncan, Osborne is leading an internal interview process of the club's entire football operations.

It's anticipated that the wide-ranging review could take up to a month to complete.

Clicky

Typical Tele header, with absolutely no truth or backing behind it.

So alas, there is nothing concrete but buckets (oh so many buckets!) and even oceans of hope...

Last edited:

Forty20

First Grade
ARU threw everything at Cooper

BE CERTAIN that John O'Neill tried everything he could to sign Quade Cooper to a two-year deal. O'Neill normally leaves the negotiations to his underlings at the ARU, but he got heavily involved in this deal. Cooper has decided to roll the dice - signing a one-year deal - and he will back his immense talent. Be certain that Parramatta will have another crack for him. Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo is a big Cooper fan and he played a huge part in the $850,000 a year offer.

Danny Weidler

Clicky

And this from the man in the know...

jono

Juniors
Cooper was a standout tonight at the Bledisloe . This boy has Rugby League Player written all over him.

cv8z

Juniors
Cooper was a standout tonight at the Bledisloe . This boy has Rugby League Player written all over him.

I agree after watching him play it seems strange DA wouldn't want him
I think his attack will make an impact and fit in quite well from day one

strider

Post Whore
I wish the papers would sort out how much we offered him ... it ranged anywhere from $500K to (now this latest smh one) $850K - seems the tele are now up to $700K, they were on $600K only yesterday :lol:

Stupid headlines - he looked really good last night and would love the space league provides to run. But a lot can change in a years time. It is like making a life decision because you assume you will still be in the same job in a years time.

bartman

Immortal
Seems like a piece designed to make Ossie look good, after missing out on his big play and leaving us without any new half for next year (having lost Keating).

If I was DA, I'd baulk at wanting Quade for $850,000 too! Even Jarryd's wage eats away at the quality of the squad around him, when he only gets excited for about 20 minutes a match (usually including the last 15).

If Cooper does come across for 2012 on that money, he'd better make a fantastic contribution over the whole 80 mins.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I wish the papers would sort out how much we offered him ... it ranged anywhere from $500K to (now this latest smh one) $850K - seems the tele are now up to $700K, they were on $600K only yesterday :lol:

Maybe we signed him up for $1 for 2012?

of course backend the rest :D

boxhead

First Grade
Does this mean we are stuck with robo and morts for another year

No. We have Brad Murray, Tom Humble and co sniffing around, and if we are really ballsy and confident we may even attempt Marmin Barba as an interchange player. We recruited a lot of very young and very talented players this season.....mind you they are massive for our future, but only Brad Murray so far is big for our future. However, getting two players like Carl Webb and Reni Maitua dirt cheap, who both have something to prove, could be a blessing.

Gaffman

Juniors
No. We have Brad Murray, Tom Humble and co sniffing around, and if we are really ballsy and confident we may even attempt Marmin Barba as an interchange player. We recruited a lot of very young and very talented players this season.....mind you they are massive for our future, but only Brad Murray so far is big for our future. However, getting two players like Carl Webb and Reni Maitua dirt cheap, who both have something to prove, could be a blessing.

And lets not forget Jordan Atkins :p

caylo

Bench

On Tom Humble, I wouldn't mind if he was given a shot in the centres next year aswell. His defence outwide seems pretty good and he just has the knows where he needs to be in support, plus the guy runs very good lines.

IMO Hayne, Burt, Tahu, Humble, Reddy in our backline. This does mean we need a 5-8 thou, but if we can snare orford (which is unlikley I understand) then Murray can play 5-8 for a year or two then make the move to halfback.

parra_jesus

Juniors
$850 k for cooper . ouch! really hoping , murray and humble come through for us next year.
here is a list of off contract nrl halves for 2011.

James Maloney
Robert Lui
Benji Marshall
Braith Anasta
Chris Sandow
Luke Walsh
Kurt Gidley
Jarrod Mullen
Ben Roberts

out of the list the only players i could see coming to parra or giving us any value are

Luke Walsh and James Maloney. but even then i would not be overly excited at the prospect of having them two in our halves.

boxhead

First Grade
$850 k for cooper . ouch! really hoping , murray and humble come through for us next year.

James Maloney
Robert Lui
Benji Marshall
Braith Anasta
Chris Sandow
Luke Walsh
Kurt Gidley
Jarrod Mullen
Ben Roberts

out of the list the only players i could see coming to parra or giving us any value are

Luke Walsh and James Maloney. but even then i would not be overly excited at the prospect of having them two in our halves.

At least if we had Luke Walsh we would have the best kicking game in the competition.....or at least the best kicker.

James Maloney
Robert Lui
Benji Marshall
Braith Anasta
Chris Sandow
Luke Walsh
Kurt Gidley
Jarrod Mullen
Ben Roberts

I'd take Mullen and Lui.

Reel deal

Juniors
Benji is not off contract.. he recently signed a deal to keep him a tiger for life.

they have him till 2015

Latest posts