Quality of TV coverage

Discussion in 'NRL Media Watch' started by Hoofhearted, May 29, 2014.

1. sensesmaybenumbed

sensesmaybenumbed Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. The independent commission will show its true worth when the next rights are up for bidding.

The true worth will be on the open market. It was great foresight, despite the clear shortfalls of the current coverage.

2. Sime_11

Sime_11 Juniors

quality = channel nine showing all their allowed (Friday/Sunday) games live.

make Friday night a stand alone game like Afl does and show a game on Saturday night live as well.

also whats with Origin starting at 815? I know its only 15 minutes but they really drag it on these days, whats wrong with a 730 kickoff like normal???

3. oikee

oikee Juniors

Yes, i did a study and have to agree. The next TV deal will be massive because we got rid of this ball and chain around our necks.

Look, forget about AFL and their soap opera.
    Remember that drawn AFL final a few year ago. ?
    That alone is the reason i cant stand this code.
    Not only did the players look fresh at the end of the game, it went for another week, milking those fans like puppies, None the wiser.
    That ignorance is why i dont rate or fear this code.

Now, can we start making noises about pushing for "State of Origin" to become Australia's own National Treasure.
    Before the AFL get wind of this and try to make that dumbarse code our national treasure.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  4. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

quite possibly one of the funniest suggestions i've heard was on radio this morning in melbourne.

eddie mcguire was talking about the origin, said it was a good game and great concept, but actually was a dumb as players got injured..

he thinks state of origin would have place in the AFL..

but..

it would be a ceremonious thing only..

so you'd name your teams..

but they'd never play.

it would just be an honour the players could say "i got selected for victoria"

i was laughing so hard i had to pull my car over.

i nearly wet myself.

5. sensesmaybenumbed

Are you serious? He really did that? Even the most ardent VFL fan would have cringed at such a ridiculous assertion.

6. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

he did indeed do that..

i'm pretty sure he even suggested actually presenting the players with a state of origin jersey (although by that stage i had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks so i may have heard incorrectly..)

imagine that in the NRL..

david smith: "here you go jarryd hayne.. congratulations, here is your no.1 jersey for NSW.."

hayne: "umm.. it's the wrong size, it's a small & i'm an XL"

smith: "it's okay.. it's not like you have to wear it or anything"

7. sensesmaybenumbed

Damn. His chins must be blocking bloodflow to his pitiful excuse for a brain.

8. eozsmiles

eozsmiles Bench

At this point in time it would seem unlikely that 10 would have any chance of winning the next bidding war, if they even bother to enter it. They have no money and not many viewers. So it is quite possible that the value of the next deal will be reliant on how interested channel seven is, assuming fox and nine are happy to continue sharing.

If, for whatever reason, seven aren't interested, it could essentially be a one horse race.

9. eozsmiles

eozsmiles Bench

Getting the answer they want makes them very competent. Not interesting, but competent.

And we've heard some of the players talk. If Andy Raymond doesn't hint them the answer, they'll stand there in silence.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  10. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

well Ten have said they'll bid in the AFL rights http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...r-in-afl-broadcast-rights-20140421-zqx7x.html

11. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

A commentary team of warren, fittler and johns. Who could argue with the quality of the ch9 presentation of the game?

12. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog First Grade

sorry, to be more clear what I was getting at was the "questions" are more like statements
    eg. "That must have been pretty emotional for you" etc. to which the player can only answer in variations of "yes" or "no"

13. Cumberland Throw

Cumberland Throw First Grade

id love to see a panel show on fox at 7pm on friday leading into the 7.30 game.. with some actual analysis of the up coming game...

guess they cant do as QLD have a different game

14. Dogs Of War

Dogs Of War Coach

Just do two versions.

15. undertaker

undertaker First Grade

This

16. eozsmiles

eozsmiles Bench

100% agree with this. With some players it helps them get through an interview. With the interesting players it is a hindrance.

17. eozsmiles

eozsmiles Bench

18. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

I hope the NRL start negotiations around the same time as the AFL...

They wont need to go in hard as early, but giving 10 and 7 the opportunity to bid before they commit to the AFL and giving them the confidence to let the AFL rights, would be a smart move...

19. j5o6hn

j5o6hn Juniors

Ch 10 would be lucky to have enough money to pay the tea lady they are struggling battling with ABC for 4th dont think it will happen

20. Diesel

Diesel Coach

If like to see Ten offer something similar to last time with a similar amount plus inflation. NRL are in the box seat with 9/Fox next time around