What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland cup on the telly

Green Eye

Juniors
Was in Brisvegas last weekend and was watching a Saturday afternoon game of the QLD cup. Seems as though the ABC has the rights to show those games.

This made me think... Why the hell don't we get any free to air games for the NRL on Saturdays on the telly anymore?

What happened to the good ol' days where you could sit down on a saturday arvo, open a beer or ten and watch a bit of Rugby League which was free to air? I realise that channel nine and FOX cover most games but surely if the ABC are allowed to show the QLD cup then they should be allowed to show the NATIONAL comp.

I'm not familiar with the TV rights history so if anyone can fill me in with some details I would be most interested to know why this is no longer the case.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The NRL sold out to pay TV. The ABC is not allowed to show Saturday games - they belong to the pay TV groups. I never miss my QLD cup games. The annoying thing to me is in Brissy they even have AFL on the ABC radio rather than the NRL Saturday arvo game. Saturday night games are aired however. So basically if a NRL game is played on Saturday afternoon, Brisbane people can get the score only.

ozbash

Referee
are the qld cup game/s shown,the curtain raiser to the cowboys or bronco games ?

Tigertread

Juniors
The ABC have been showing the Qld Cup live on Saturday for a couple of years now. The live games are from the clubs home ground, this weeks game is between Ipswich Jets v Easts Tigers at Bendigo Bank Oval.

chileman

Coach
I always try to tape the Sat. arvo games as I have soccer on most saturdays...I must say I do miss the old Sat arvo ABC games but as it has been said, they sold out to paytv and now they have the crappy timeslot of 5:30pm to suit Fox! :roll:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I had the same thought when I was in the Gold Coast watching the Burleigh Vs Easts game. Infact I had two thoughts. The ABC should show the comps under the elite level in NSW and the Gold Coast could afford to have a team in the NRL.

Infact this is what I thought. The comp should be restructured so that the top 4 Qld sides should be in the NRL, the top 8 NSW and ACT sides and Melbourne and NZ auto entries. The NSW and QLD cups could be used as a true first division. The lowest ranked QLD and NSW sides would be relegated and the winners of the QLD and NSW cups would join the NRL each season. And if expansion into other states is wanted the numbers could be altered. And of course hold a mid season cup with all teams involved. Imagine the excitment of the rotation of clubs.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
The ABC incur all the costs to film the qld cup and wanted $1000 a game to allow foxtel to show them. Foxtel baulked.

Fair enough too - the ABC is not a charity set up to provide free content for commercial enterprises.

Kingytek

Juniors
What really sucks is that anyone just south of Tweed Heads has to watch a Sydney Rugby Union competition on a Saturday arvo

Sydney Carton

Juniors
LJK said:
What really sucks is that anyone just south of Tweed Heads has to watch a Sydney Rugby Union competition on a Saturday arvo

You deserve it if you live south of the border and even moreso if you support Easts.

Seriously though it would be nice if ABC showed Premier League as a re4play late night in Qld and Qld Cup same in NSW.

zulu

Juniors
LJK said:

What's even worse is that there's been a couple of Brisbane club union games shown in Sydney this year during the weeks before the Sydney stuff started. A couple of QLD Cup games would have fitted in just nicely.

zu.