What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2023

Woody90

Juniors
Gagai has been a match winner so many times.

Dumb call from Slater, putting a lot of pressure on himself here.

Apparently he only lost his spot after his game on Saturday. By that logic there’s no way Holmes should have been selected after the weekend.

Pumpkin

Juniors
Personally, I would have gone for Ponga over Walsh, but Slater is very smart, I'm sure he knows better than me.

Big Pete

Referee
Official Team for Game I
1. Reece Walsh - Brisbane Broncos
2. Selwyn Cobbo - Brisbane Broncos
3. Valentine Holmes - North Queensland Cowboys
4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow - Dolphins
5. Murray Taulagi - North Queensland Cowboys
6. Cameron Munster - Melbourne Storm
7. Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Sea Eagles
8. Thomas Flegler - Brisbane Broncos
9. Ben Hunt - St George Illawarra Dragons
10. Lindsay Collins - Sydney Roosters
11. Tom Gilbert - Dolphins
12. David Fifita - Gold Coast Titans
13. Patrick Carrigan - Brisbane Broncos

14. Harry Grant - Melbourne Storm
15. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - Gold Coast Titans
16. Reuben Cotter - North Queensland Cowboys
17. Jai Arrow - South Sydney Rabbitohs

18. Tom Dearden - North Queensland Cowboys
19. Christian Welch - Melbourne Storm

Wizardman

First Grade
I love the side. A really hard nosed forward pack with the vast majority of them on form.

Im ok with the dropping of Ponga......his head knock issues are just too much of a risk.

I have more questions over the Blues side.

Qld series win for me.

Big Pete

Referee
It's interesting to see Slater buck tradition and go with form. Typically players like Kalyn Ponga, Dane Gagai, Kurt Capewell etc. would receive a free pass and it would take a loss before they're dropped. However Billy has opted to go on the front foot and has loaded up on attacking players.

Flegler and Taulagi stick out as the biggest surprises. Flegler has tremendous up-side and has become a more consistent player but I would have thought after Storm-Broncos, Slater would have opted for Welch's effort areas. Hopefully Tom can produced his best for Queensland and I still think his best footy is yet to come.

Slater must have been tossing and turning on his wing options because nobody is playing their best footy right now. Taulagi has the most runs on the board, he's played along-side Val and with Oates unavailable he's easily the best player to work it out of trouble. It's not an ideal selection but sometimes all you need is some confidence and Taulagi is coming off a great 2022 season.

Looks like a good squad to me. No one in their right mind could risk Ponga. If he wasn’t concussed on the weekend, I’ll eat my hat. That fiasco on the 4th tackle on the weekend, shows one of two things:

1. his head knock took more out of him than Newcastle would allow to be known; or

2. he is not as smart a footballer as he is made out to be.

I think the former. The way he was lying on the floor after the connection, how could Slater take such a risk with him?

Wizardman

First Grade
Looks like a good squad to me. No one in their right mind could risk Ponga. If he wasn’t concussed on the weekend, I’ll eat my hat. That fiasco on the 4th tackle on the weekend, shows one of two things:

1. his head knock took more out of him than Newcastle would allow to be known; or

2. he is not as smart a footballer as he is made out to be.

I think the former. The way he was lying on the floor after the connection, how could Slater take such a risk with him?
He absolutely copped a knock yesterday. Yesterday showed that officials will still bend rules in regard to player safety for certain circumstances.

League still has some distance to travel in order to take head knocks seriously.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Awesome side, forward pack was near impossible to pick given the amount of players in form.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Tino starts though.

Big Pete

Referee
Story in the Courier Mail on the Maroons right edge and how they were exposed by the Jets in an opposed session. Sounds like Gilbert, Holmes and Cobbo will be playing on that side.

There's no doubt where NSW will be sending the ball on Wednesday night, hopefully the Maroons get themselves right beforehand.

Wally21

Bench
Well done to the Maroons. As a long suffering NSWelshman, having to put up with the special needs coach in fittler and the smug merkin Panfers who forget how to play in a blue jersey, along with the pensioner Tedesco, the myth of JAC and TPJ, I almost, (almost) wish I supported QLD.

ALX25

Bench
Well done to the Maroons. As a long suffering NSWelshman, having to put up with the special needs coach in fittler and the smug merkin Panfers who forget how to play in a blue jersey, along with the pensioner Tedesco, the myth of JAC and TPJ, I almost, (almost) wish I supported QLD.

If Hopgood get's the nod for Game 2 will you change your allegiance?

Big Pete

Referee
Queensland Maroons 26 (Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2, Selwyn Cobbo 2, Cameron Munster tries; Valentine Holmes 3/5 goals) def. New South Wales 18

1-0

Queensland pulled off another sensational effort to take the series opener in Adelaide. With Flegler in the sin-bin and three players off the field with injury it appeared New South Wales were on the verge of victory. However off the goal-line restart, Queensland secured possession and had the Blues on the back-foot.

Cameron Munster identified a weakness down the Blues left edge and targeted it. Munster was able to bump off a tackle, drew the winger and gave Hammer just enough time and space to weave his magic down the sideline. Hammer was able to evade the grasp of the fastest man on the planet before snapping Tedesco's ankles to score the most important try of his young career.

Up until that point it had been a valiant effort by the Maroons, but errors at key times had prevented them from going on with it. NSW controlled possession and territory throughout the majority of the contest and would have had the lead had it not been for Murray Taulagi who announced himself with two of the best try-savers you'll see.

When Queensland had attacking opportunities, they used the football more positively than their counter-parts. There was more creativity and variation to their play and they weren't afraid to roll the dice. This was evident when debutant Reece Walsh threw a no-look pass to Cobbo despite the presence of Stephen Crichton who famously won the 2021 Grand Final off the back of the intercept. Walsh nailed the pass and Cobbo did incredibly well to bump off two defenders and keep his body in the field of play.

It was a special play, but the Maroons only had the opportunity due to Reuben Cotter who was in everything. Once again, Cotter found himself parked on an edge and he just did his best. He topped the tackle count, competed on a number of loose passes and made some tough carries to give his playmakers the time and space.

He certainly wasn't alone and every player came up with an important contribution. In a game that had several moments whether it be Hamiso and Walsh doing the shark post-try celebration in tandem or Gilbert turning maroon as he defended his skipper, my pick would have to the Lindsay Collins aerial contest. Despite handing the ball off, the Maroons recognised how important that contribution was and they all got around the big fella.

The series is far from over but that was a great a finish as you'll see.