What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the crowds

JW

Coach
Crowds for various clubs come down to many obvious factors. Whether, transport, stadium facilities, winning form, quality opposition, marketing and promotion by the club, etc. Although it most certainly plays a part, saying such and such a club should get x amount of attendees proportionate to population is too simplistic - and that applies to all cities. You cannot simply divide Sydney by 9 and then brand a clubs attendances as acceptable or poor based soley on that line of thought. Certainly not in this day and age anyway.

Same applies to Brisbane:

Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
nuff said. f**k some people are idiots. for a 1 team city in the supposedly most passionate sporting city in the world brisbane should get 50k every time

Yet, at the same time, we're told that the vast majority of Brisbanites despise the Broncos. Although I won't argue with that idea, really, they can't win.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sydneysiders are lazy. I should know, I am one. For most it's just the norm to get to 3 or 4 games a year. I know people who have a whole bunch of merchandise, watch or listen to every game every week, but just don't get to many games. My Dad for example. Its just a different culture in Sydney. Doesn't mean teams need to be cut. Stop whining. Like many have said for the opposing argument, NRL teams just aren't run like AFL clubs. They don't rely on fans going to every game to survive.

BuffaloRules

Coach
*Paul* said:
20 years ago teams were getting 80K to their whole home season.. in 1983, Wests drew 42,000 for a 12 game home schedule, so we've come a way from that anyway.

Good point, as you usually make when someone starts crying about Sydney crowds...

We are not going to bad now when you look at how the game has been supported historically...

Not great, and room for improvement in Sydney, but not as bad as these whingers ( hello Mark..) try and make out...

JW

Coach
Also remembering that even as recently as the late 90's it wasn't uncommon to see many rounds plagued with crowds as low as 3-4,000 and average rounds of less than 10K.

Despite how rubbish and dissapointing some crowds have appeared this season in particular we rarely, if ever, see them get that low anymore.

But still, in saying that, bugger all is/has being done by many parties to maximise crowds in Sydney. That's the really dissapointing thing and it's why i'm wary of engaging in any full on Sydney crowd bashing that has been going on because clearly nothing has been done to help them reach their potential.

Once that is tried, then we can come back and perhaps look at what seem to be less popular ways of making the Sydney market more viable.

In-goal

Bench
It's a big market yet culture for big crowds isn't there, Sydney is a distant poor realtion to all the other major cities in the way it embraces it major sporting teams.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
One possible idea to help Sydneys poor crowds, would be for all clubs to embrace the idea of shared gates for selected games throughout the season.

Imagine this Fridays game Dogs v Eels was a shared gate, each club would be actively promoting the game, and with the both teams having approximately 6-7 k season ticket holders who would get free admission you would have a 15 odd k in the stands before you even start selling tickets to the general public.

I know for a fact that Melbourne Demons offer a full season ticket for $250 that gets you into every game the team plays in Melbourne (16) While I pay $295 for Parramatta season ticket and you only get the 12 home games.

They tried a version of this on a Sunday in 2003 i think at 4 Sydney grounds and they had 4 full houses.

Remember you dont make money out of empty blue seats??

Red Bear

Referee
The transport system is sh*t because Sydney is one massive sprawl, not a huge amount can be honestly done to fix that.
However would be great if NRL introduced a system whereby pre-purchased tickets saw you elligible for free transport to and from games.
More promotion of games would be excellent as well.
The NRL continues to do sh*t all. I know its a tad conspriracy theorist but NRL is half owned by NEWS and what do they want to do? get people watching pay tv. Hence al these friggen night games and lack of promotion etc.
More daytime rugby league!

colonel_123

Juniors
Cumberland Throw said:
One possible idea to help Sydneys poor crowds, would be for all clubs to embrace the idea of shared gates for selected games throughout the season.

Imagine this Fridays game Dogs v Eels was a shared gate, each club would be actively promoting the game, and with the both teams having approximately 6-7 k season ticket holders who would get free admission you would have a 15 odd k in the stands before you even start selling tickets to the general public.

I know for a fact that Melbourne Demons offer a full season ticket for $250 that gets you into every game the team plays in Melbourne (16) While I pay $295 for Parramatta season ticket and you only get the 12 home games.

They tried a version of this on a Sunday in 2003 i think at 4 Sydney grounds and they had 4 full houses.

Remember you dont make money out of empty blue seats??

I could be wrong but I have a feeling there was an article earlier in the year which quoted Steve Noyce (CEO of Wests Tigers) who suggested that the NRL should consider shared gates. (Can't remember the context and my memory could be totally off)

petetheileet

First Grade
there are other things to do in Sydney except go to the footy, very multicultural....the percentage of population which closely follow football would be much less than brissy

yobbo84

Coach
Let me state this again. The NRL has evolved from the Sydney Competition - the premier Rugby League competition in Australia. Thus, the NRL will always - rightfully - be Sydney dominated. Sydney teams are the lifeblood of Rugby League in Australia. Any banana benders who don't like this can frankly f**k off to Bishop Park and watch a game with the other 300 people there.

bobmar28

Bench
J T said:
But, do you think the same would happen if there was only one team in Sydney? Do you think crowds close to capacity would turn up to Telstra Stadium or Aussie Stadium if there was only one Sydney team?
Yes I do.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Living in Perth i can only watch the games on TV but the thing that gets me is the dreadful state of the suburban grounds very little cover of the fans,no seating for a lot of them,you look at the AFL,all seated covered grounds in Perth they are talking about building a 60,000 seat ground.
Meanwhile in Sydney you have Telstra which looks terrible on TV,looks like theres no one there,SFS which I believe is in the wrong place,and suburban grounds which look like the aint changed much since 1900,and then from what I can gather they charge you like a wounded bull to attend.
Also the clubs have to get out and promote the game and sign up members as the Poker Machines will contribute less and less as Govt get more and more strapped for cash and taxes on them go up,also from what I can gather the smoking ban has dropped takings as well,where are the clubs going to get the money.
The clubs must have know that the pokie money would not last,and should have got off there arses year ago,there should also be at least 2 or 3 clubs moved out of Sydney,don,t worry about there being a forced relocation they will fall over themselves and have to relocate to survive.

Latest posts