What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for fish eaters

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
The lines you have pointed out are located within the ribs of the fish. If you take out the ribs you will remove them, I've always just thought they were veins. Whenever I catch a feed of flathead I always remove the ribs so I have a completely boneless fillet & this gets rid of them. Flathead is a magnificent eating fish as long as it is looked after. Unfortunately you cant guarantee the state of it when buying fillets. Who knows how long it has sat on the deck in the sun. I hate buying fish for this reason, any fish I catch for the table is immediately killed & put in an ice slurry. Another good thing about flathead is it's very sustainable. Please don't do as an earlier poster said & start buying Swordfish & Marlin as it's not a sustainable fishery & has been heavily overfished. Marlin should be classified as a sportfish & banned from being sold & targeted by the longliners. Take a look at this site if your unsure on what you are buying & if it is sustainable. http://www.sustainableseafood.org.au/Sustainable-Seafood-Guide.asp?active_page_id=702 The Australian seafood industry is very poorly regulated & the making up of names to make a species seem more palatable is rife, Sea dory & silver dory for example.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Anyone for sweetlip???

Other than that.....snapper, whiting and flathead.

Bream tastes like estuary mullet these days.

firechild

First Grade
Flathead are completely carnivorous so suggestions the black lines come from seaweed from their diet is fallacious. In fact most of their prey are also carnivorous so even that suggestion holds no water. In fact the iodine content of most seaweed and seagrasses is very low. The lines are blood vessels as others have suggested. Not harmful in any way.

As for best fish, it depends what you're eating it with. I prefer reef fish to estuarine or freshwater species. Anything farmed tasted like mud (barramundi being a prime example). I'm a big fan of dolphinfish but for something cheap and easy to work with (especially if you're eating with someone that hates the bones) then leatherjacket is a good option, if you're catching your own, they simply peel like a banana and the bones are incredibly easy to remove. The meat is not overly fishy and is a little bit sweet.

Skinner

Coach
what u expect ? the whole fish to be pure white . whats the problem ?

I don't think that's what the OP was getting at.

Ok, for you Aussie fish aficionados, tell me what the difference is between Snapper and Bream. I know 'em all as snapper, but I'm only a dumb kiwi :cool:

Bazal

Post Whore
Totally different species mate. Bream in the southern Aus sense are estuarine Sparidae that grow to about 1.5kg for Black Bream and about 1kg for yellowfin bream. Snapper are large, primarily oceanic reef dwelling fish of the same family, however they grow much larger (upwards of 20kg) and as mentioned tend to live in oceanic environments where bream are more of an estuarine/coastal species.

Skinner

Coach
Totally different species mate. Bream in the southern Aus sense are estuarine Sparidae that grow to about 1.5kg for Black Bream and about 1kg for yellowfin bream. Snapper are large, primarily oceanic reef dwelling fish of the same family, however they grow much larger (upwards of 20kg) and as mentioned tend to live in oceanic environments where bream are more of an estuarine/coastal species.

Cheers Baz

Bream are a good tasting fish. Be f**ked if I can catch one though. Haven't seen them for 10 ears where I go. Used to be plentiful.

The Rosco

Bench
Tropical fish have an unfair advantage. And you lucky buggers that live up there should be ever thankful.
As a Sydney based angler, the bestest eating fish in the sea would have to be the black spot Pigfish.
Known as a Piggy. It's red and lives on reef, which are funnily enough 2 of the pre-requisites for most of the yummiest fish !
But for common, everyday, catch a few most trips, AND best to eat . . . the humble flatty.