What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on the Serbs

ali

Bench
Does anyone know if Serbia will be including any Aussie Serbs for the Mediterranean Cup? I am sure there are numerous RL players in Sydney and Brisbane who are eligible to play. I'm not saying put 17 of them out there, but 5 or 6 wouldn't go astray to help make them competitive, and maybe teach a thing or 2 to the local serbs. Otherwise they are surely going to get flogged by France and Lebanon. Serbia vs Morocco should be tight though.

dimitri

First Grade
i have the feeling that the serbs may have yawnion experience which means they might not get as smashed

paulmac

Juniors
Does anyone know any players with Serbian heritage in the NRL.I cant think of any.Serbia V Morrocco will be the highlight of the tournament.I hope these two nations get automatic invitations for next years world sevens it would be a just reward for two countrys who have got RL up and going with little or no outside assistance from the RLIF

Alan Shore

First Grade
paulmac said:
Does anyone know any players with Serbian heritage in the NRL.I cant think of any.Serbia V Morrocco will be the highlight of the tournament.I hope these two nations get automatic invitations for next years world sevens it would be a just reward for two countrys who have got RL up and going with little or no outside assistance from the RLIF

Which basically means no invite. If the RLIF had half the brainpower of the IRB in terms of marketing and promotion (the IRB's other half is dead because they waste time on that alleged sport), RL would be known as well as soccer and NFL.

ali

Bench
paulmac said:

Doesn't former Manly player Dragon Durdevic has something to do with helping Serbia. I admit I couldn't tell a Serb from a Yugoslav or a Croation, but what about Dean Bosnich? There must be others around. Atleast in the lower grades, Jim Beam Cup and QLD cup.

dimitri

First Grade
Which basically means no invite. If the RLIF had half the brainpower of the IRB in terms of marketing and promotion (the IRB's other half is dead because they waste time on that alleged sport), RL would be known as well as soccer and NFL.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im prettysure dragon durdevic is definitely serbian

incredible_holc

Juniors
I admit I couldn't tell a Serb from a Yugoslav or a Croation,

dont know about croatia
but Yugoslav's and serbians are hard to tell the diffference as they are both 'Slav' nations.
Yugoslav is a slavic state isnt it????

SP

Bench
Isnt Serbia formerly called Yugoslavia

and most serb/yuglsavic surnames would end with: vic, sek, ov, ic

incredible_holc

Juniors
im doing it in Modern History at the moment

but i forget which isnt too good seeing as weve got the Prelimenaries next week

back to the books for me

Razor

Coach
Lewis said:
Isnt Serbia formerly called Yugoslavia

Yes. Yugolsavia split into 3 countries, with Serbia being one of them. Serbia is still occasionly referred to as Yugoslavia though.

Fiji_Bati

Juniors
ali said:
paulmac said:

Doesn't former Manly player Dragon Durdevic has something to do with helping Serbia. I admit I couldn't tell a Serb from a Yugoslav or a Croation, but what about Dean Bosnich? There must be others around. Atleast in the lower grades, Jim Beam Cup and QLD cup.

Dragan Durdevic is playing in France and came back in his off season and played the last 2 or 3 games in Manly's Premiere League side. He is Serbian. I think Ned Catic from the Roosters is Serbian but not 100% sure. I read somewhere that Dean Bosnich was a distant relative of Mark Bosnich so I think he might be Croatian.

History lesson -

Yugoslavia means 'land of the south slavs'. It was an artificial construct of Tito out of the ashes of the slavic Ottoman and Hapsburg provinces after the first world war - five main ethnic groups, majority speaking Serbo-Croatian (which is effectively one language, Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian are written in different alphabets, but the spoken languages are only about as different as Australia and American English) then the Slovene and Macedonian speakers... There are also the smaller minorities of the Vojvodina Hungarians and the Kosovars, who are ethnically Albanian.

Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia-Hercegovina broke away from Yugoslavia in about 1990, then Macedonia did the same not long after.

Serbia and Montenegro remained together under the title Yugoslavia until this year, they've now officially changed their name to 'Republic of Serbia and Montenegro'.

Expect the Serbs and Montenegrins to split soon as well. Within five years I'd be betting.

paulmac

Juniors
Just on the serbs last weeks edition of RLW had an article on an ex panther cum millionaire who was responsible for the panthers on the prowl scheme.His name sounded slavic,if he is of Serbian heritage perhaps his company could help with a sponsorship of the Serbian Rugby League.Also ex bronco and panther Sid Domic has a Serbian grandfather.

Latest posts