What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
i know this is the eels forum, but something i have been wondering about for some time is the official name for the warriors. it is my understanding that when they were admitted to the nrl they were the auckland warriors. if this is so when did they become the nz warriors?

IFR33K

Coach
If my memory is right, they became the NZ warriors, because the Auckland warriors went bust, so they simply changed their name.

This was about 5 or 6 years ago.

strider

Post Whore
yeah - when they got bought by that rich guy that's currently running the show ..... I'm so full of details :lol:

cgee221

Juniors
I believe it was 2000 when they privatized

Yeah it happend in 2000 and they started the 2001 NRL Season as the New Zealand Warriors, whereas they were known as the Auckland Warriors in the 2000 NRL Season.

lingard

Coach
By the way, do you know when Parramatta became known as the Eels? I`m not 100% sure, but I believe it was the late sixties or early seventies. Peter Frilingos remarked in the newspaper that the word 'parramatta' meant 'place where the eels lie down', and suggested it as a name for the Parra tream. Believe it or not, prior to that, we didn`t have a nick-name; although we were sometimes refered to as the 'cherry-pickers'. I think that`s right, anyway. Perhaps someone could give us some more detail. Parra-Pete?

Also, in the early eighties, Jack Gibson wanted to re-name Parramatta. He wanted to call us the Rams. (As in Merino Rams). The idea didn`t take off.

Latest posts