What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about ESL

LESStar58

Referee
Just watched a tape of the Grand Final and just had a couple of questions about the game there...

*interchange limited to 12 players yes?
*what position did Robbie Paul play coz he was wearing #1 (and why the hell does he have Robbie on his jersey instead of his surname...need I remind you there is only ONE Paul brother going around today!)
*numbers- players select their own example Marcus Bai was #22...but he was the starting winger with Mike Calderwood am I right?

vbfg

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
Just watched a tape of the Grand Final and just had a couple of questions about the game there...

*interchange limited to 12 players yes?

Yes.

LESStar58 said:
*what position did Robbie Paul play coz he was wearing #1 (and why the hell does he have Robbie on his jersey instead of his surname...need I remind you there is only ONE Paul brother going around today!)

We have squad numbers. He'll wear No.1 whichever position he plays. Yes it is stupid.

LESStar58 said:
*numbers- players select their own example Marcus Bai was #22...but he was the starting winger with Mike Calderwood am I right?

Again, squad numbers. Different clubs have different means of allocating them. I know Bradford do it by lottery. Other clubs may allow players to choose their own from the ones available, or they may just give them a number from the ones available.

It's been that way since 95/96-ish. It's a little odd I agree but I'm not convinced it matters too much.

girvie

Staff member
They keep the same numbers throughout the whole year starting with the first game of the year i think. So Robbie Paul must of played fullback in round one and Bai would have been the 22nd first grade player used.

Bullseye

Juniors
girvie said:
They keep the same numbers throughout the whole year starting with the first game of the year i think. So Robbie Paul must of played fullback in round one and Bai would have been the 22nd first grade player used.

No that's not right. Paul has had the same squad number since 1996. Most players keep the same numbers from season to season. New players take vacated numbers or ask for new ones. They are all given out at the beginning of the season and don't change.

bartman

Immortal
Used to be that way in Australia too for a while, I remember Manly and a few other clubs in late 70s having squad numbers all over the shop, was confusing for a young lad!

But you get used to it once you know the players better and know where they play.

deluded pom?

Coach
It could be worse . Watching a Champions League soccer match on tv a few weeks ago a Roma player had number 99 !

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
It could be worse . Watching a Champions League soccer match on tv a few weeks ago a Roma player had number 99 !

Probably one of these self infatuated football players who wants to play as number 9 and would take his ball home if he couldn't :lol:

bender

Juniors
bartman said:
Used to be that way in Australia too for a while, I remember Manly and a few other clubs in late 70s having squad numbers all over the shop, was confusing for a young lad!

But you get used to it once you know the players better and know where they play.

It also used to be that if you were in the reserve grade team, the fulback would start at number 18. This meant that when there were late changes, the players would wear those larger numbers in first grade. Does that still happen in Sydney where the teams have reserve grade.

shaggy

Juniors
bender said:
bartman said:

It also used to be that if you were in the reserve grade team, the fulback would start at number 18. This meant that when there were late changes, the players would wear those larger numbers in first grade. Does that still happen in Sydney where the teams have reserve grade.

no reserve graders start from 1-17
but sometimes teams hand out jerseys 2 a squad so sum bloke wearin 20 cums out on the field because hes in the squad

bartman

Immortal
bender said:

I think for a while they numbered Res grade at 14-26, and then fresh reserves for first grade were 27&28 (when you were only allowed two!), and reserves for reserve grade were 29 onwards?

Now it's all 1-17 both grades in Sydney, and late changes come in jumpers 18 onwards.

Latest posts